New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jul 21, 2015, 02:24 PM
WhiffleX is online now
Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Registered User
WhiffleX's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Mar 2015
1,158 Posts
Discussion
RotorBuilds.com - Website for sharing Multi-Rotor Builds

Anybody ever ask you what props you're using or what ESCs you've got? It happens to me all the time and I'm always going back to eBay or Banggood to check my order history. I thought it would be nice to have a place to list all of my components, so rotorbuilds.com was born. This is basically a social network for multirotor builders. Users can post builds, share photos and videos, follow other users, like builds, and discuss parts and builds.

Here's a little background about myself. I started getting into multirotors at the beginning of 2015 and have since built a custom APM based F450 for aerial photography. I started getting into web development in 1997 and have built and worked on countless websites from search engines to social networks, shopping carts, price comparison engines, and mobile apps.

Have a look around, follow some members, comment on their builds or even post your own build. This site is very early stage so I'd love to hear about your experience and especially any bugs you might encounter.

URL:

http://rotorbuilds.com

My F450 build:

http://rotorbuilds.com/build/24

ChangeLog:

July 31, 2015

- Added part quantities and build costs
- Tweaked build photos on build listing
- Bug fixes

July 27, 2015

- Added Featured Builds which lists builds that have been liked by other members.
- Added Activity Stream showing builds by those you've followed
- Added new part updates when followed users add parts to their builds

July 25, 2015

- Added background images to each build with photos

July 24, 2015

- Added photo uploads for builds
- Added email notices for new likes, follows and comments

July 23, 2015

- Changed name to RotorBuilds
- Fixed part price and name collection

July 21, 2015

- Alpha release!

Upcoming features:

- Part images
- Build videos
- Pageview Statistics
- Builder Scoreboard
- Photo and part updates from followed users
WhiffleX is online now Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Last edited by WhiffleX; Jul 31, 2015 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2015, 05:20 PM
dimvasilk is online now
Find More Posts by dimvasilk
Team Hypoxia
dimvasilk's Avatar
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Sep 2014
920 Posts
Nice clean look!
Feature I'd like would be integration with other sites. For example, instead of posting a link directing a user to a different site, allow them to search the part directly from your site and have information on price and weight. Probably not so easy to add seeing as you'd have to do some sort of caching or querying each time.
Just some thoughts!
dimvasilk is online now Find More Posts by dimvasilk
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 05:36 PM
WhiffleX is online now
Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Registered User
WhiffleX's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Mar 2015
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimvasilk View Post
Nice clean look!
Feature I'd like would be integration with other sites. For example, instead of posting a link directing a user to a different site, allow them to search the part directly from your site and have information on price and weight. Probably not so easy to add seeing as you'd have to do some sort of caching or querying each time.
Just some thoughts!
That's an idea, but I'd like to flesh out a few other features first such as images of the parts and photos of our rigs.
WhiffleX is online now Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 05:38 PM
Cereal_Killer is online now
Find More Posts by Cereal_Killer
Wife sponsored
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2014
1,099 Posts
Don't know if you care but I'm not able to post from iPhone.
Cereal_Killer is online now Find More Posts by Cereal_Killer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 06:05 PM
fradioflyer is online now
Find More Posts by fradioflyer
Registered User
United States, VA, Quinton
Joined Feb 2015
284 Posts
I'd like to build my own parts list from some of your items... Could be a good social feature.

Rank lists? Most common part across build lists, etc.
fradioflyer is online now Find More Posts by fradioflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:31 PM
WhiffleX is online now
Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Registered User
WhiffleX's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Mar 2015
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer View Post
Don't know if you care but I'm not able to post from iPhone.
Thank you. I'll get that fixed! Is the problem that you cannot press the add component button once you've started creating a new build?
WhiffleX is online now Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:40 PM
WhiffleX is online now
Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Registered User
WhiffleX's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Mar 2015
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradioflyer View Post
I'd like to build my own parts list from some of your items... Could be a good social feature.

Rank lists? Most common part across build lists, etc.
Yes, lots of potential. I was thinking something along the lines of "Copy Build" to make it your own. I've already got some functionality to feature builds based on popularity, but that's hidden until it gets a little traction. I've also got a builder's scoreboard that I need to fix up.

I think the most important features to add right now are photo uploads and part images.
WhiffleX is online now Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:53 PM
fradioflyer is online now
Find More Posts by fradioflyer
Registered User
United States, VA, Quinton
Joined Feb 2015
284 Posts
I signed up hours ago, but no email to validate registration received.
fradioflyer is online now Find More Posts by fradioflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:25 PM
WhiffleX is online now
Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Registered User
WhiffleX's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Mar 2015
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradioflyer View Post
I signed up hours ago, but no email to validate registration received.
Very strange, you're the second to say that. Could it have gone to your spam box?
WhiffleX is online now Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:00 PM
fradioflyer is online now
Find More Posts by fradioflyer
Registered User
United States, VA, Quinton
Joined Feb 2015
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiffleX View Post
Very strange, you're the second to say that. Could it have gone to your spam box?
Not found there either
fradioflyer is online now Find More Posts by fradioflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:44 PM
WhiffleX is online now
Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Registered User
WhiffleX's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Mar 2015
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradioflyer View Post
Not found there either
Looks like cox rejected my headers. I disabled email verification for now. Your account is now active.

I think I'm going to change the name of the site. This was just an old domain I had lying around. Finding a good domain is almost as difficult as naming your children, so we'll see what I can come up with.t
WhiffleX is online now Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:18 AM
SillyLittleBoy is offline
Find More Posts by SillyLittleBoy
Registered User
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Feb 2015
216 Posts
Okay, maybe this is still in the build stage, but I can't find any parts lists. I've clicked on each of the titles of what I thought would be lists for builds, but I'm not getting any lists of parts.

Here's a suggestion - create a primary parts list that would JUST be for replacement parts for the stock CX-20. It could include stock, upgrade, big upgrade levels, but it would just be replacement parts. It would be nice to know where I could get a stock/factory motor for my CX-20, so that when one goes bad I can just replace that one and not all four.

Users could add parts they've found or used, whether stock, after-market (HA!), or upgrades.

Now if you really wanted to get fancy and user friendly, then some kind of active rendering of the CX-20 (like a rotatable 3D drawing) that you could spin and then hover your mouse over a part and it would pull up a little window identifying that part and giving the stock part info/link as well as alternate parts links. Does this make sense? This way I don't even have to know what the stupid thing is called, I just know it's the little oval doo-hicky on top of the what-cha-ma-call-it over there.
SillyLittleBoy is offline Find More Posts by SillyLittleBoy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:45 AM
WhiffleX is online now
Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Registered User
WhiffleX's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Mar 2015
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLittleBoy View Post
Okay, maybe this is still in the build stage, but I can't find any parts lists. I've clicked on each of the titles of what I thought would be lists for builds, but I'm not getting any lists of parts.

Here's a suggestion - create a primary parts list that would JUST be for replacement parts for the stock CX-20. It could include stock, upgrade, big upgrade levels, but it would just be replacement parts. It would be nice to know where I could get a stock/factory motor for my CX-20, so that when one goes bad I can just replace that one and not all four.

Users could add parts they've found or used, whether stock, after-market (HA!), or upgrades.

Now if you really wanted to get fancy and user friendly, then some kind of active rendering of the CX-20 (like a rotatable 3D drawing) that you could spin and then hover your mouse over a part and it would pull up a little window identifying that part and giving the stock part info/link as well as alternate parts links. Does this make sense? This way I don't even have to know what the stupid thing is called, I just know it's the little oval doo-hicky on top of the what-cha-ma-call-it over there.
This is probably a browser error. What browser and version are you running? Try a different browser and see if they show up. I'll see if I can identify the problem and fix it.

Some interesting ideas there, but I think a 3D model would detract from the purpose. I'd really just like it to be a place for folks like you and I to show off our builds.
WhiffleX is online now Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2015, 09:52 AM
Cereal_Killer is online now
Find More Posts by Cereal_Killer
Wife sponsored
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2014
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiffleX View Post
Thank you. I'll get that fixed! Is the problem that you cannot press the add component button once you've started creating a new build?
Yes, you can name the build and type a short description but can't go any further / add more parts.
Cereal_Killer is online now Find More Posts by Cereal_Killer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:11 PM
WhiffleX is online now
Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Registered User
WhiffleX's Avatar
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Mar 2015
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyLittleBoy View Post
Okay, maybe this is still in the build stage, but I can't find any parts lists. I've clicked on each of the titles of what I thought would be lists for builds, but I'm not getting any lists of parts.
This bug should be fixed. Thank you for pointing it out!
WhiffleX is online now Find More Posts by WhiffleX
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Help on multi-rotor build! MTM123 Multirotor Beginner 8 Jul 07, 2015 11:36 AM
For Sale Airtronics M12 Radio Brand New In Box For Sale Or Trade for Multi-Rotor! JNuman85 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Jul 02, 2015 03:28 PM
Question Who can help to build multi rotor? For some $$$ S_Anv Multirotor Talk 6 May 14, 2015 01:29 AM
Discussion Droid and iPhone Apps for Multi Rotor Helis nicnaimless Multirotor Talk 6 Oct 29, 2010 07:17 PM
Discussion What is the best platform for building a tiny multi-rotor craft? Smokytyrz Multirotor Talk 2 May 12, 2010 03:36 PM