SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2015, 03:06 AM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,798 Posts
I've been using skids rather than tail wheels for many years, but I stuck with the tail wheel on the Extra, after modifying it as shown. Since doing it with a hole drilled into the tiller's collar, which was very difficult to do, I realized there was a better way, also shown below. No drilling required. Just use the existing extra threaded hole on the collar. The rubber band shock absorber seems like a good idea, as well.
Depronicus is online now Find More Posts by Depronicus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2015, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by FlyHelis
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2014
36 Posts
Nice build @Depronicus, I like your mods.

I still need help with my landing gear issue... Does anyone have a good method to repair it?
FlyHelis is offline Find More Posts by FlyHelis
Old Jul 03, 2015, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by Liberty10
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
5,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHelis View Post
Nice build @Depronicus, I like your mods.

I still need help with my landing gear issue... Does anyone have a good method to repair it?
It's not the same plane but it looks like the plate is done the same from the pic.
Take a look at this repair thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
Landing Gear Plate Replacement
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Jul 03, 2015, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,369 Posts
Quote:
Had a rough landing.... Torn out my landing gear and took the plate with it. Best way to repair it??
Cut the covering off the bottom in that area and start sawing new parts or gluing them back together with gussets.
Jeff
jwilliamsrc is offline Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Old Jul 03, 2015, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by jk6672
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
3,539 Posts
Anyone have templates for the landing gear support plate for those who don't have the original pieces?
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Jul 03, 2015, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,798 Posts
Quote:
...I still need help with my landing gear issue...
Is the existing plate salvageable? It sort of looks like it might be. If you take it off the CF strut and dry-fit it back into place, will it fit well enough to re-secure it with epoxy?

If it can be put back in place, the slow-set epoxy I referred to in the above posts is really strong, and should hold it. You might also be able to add strength to the joints by putting in lengths of square balsa or bass on the top of the plate up against the fiberglass bulkheads.
Depronicus is online now Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Jul 06, 2015, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by fly247
NH
Joined May 2010
201 Posts
Can someone tell me what size stand offs you need if running a Motrolfly 4315-480?
fly247 is offline Find More Posts by fly247
Old Jul 06, 2015, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by Marza Taxx
Joined Mar 2014
317 Posts
I wish I would've kept the templates I made. I had the same problem. I had to cut out a quite a few stringers to allow access to the inner longitudinal plates. I replaced those as well as the two diagonal plates. I beefed up the entire landing gear box with basswood gussets. Also, I used epoxy and nylon fabric to reinforce the landing gear box. Sorry, I wish I would have taken photos... written descriptions are vague at best. I guess the main point is, don't be afraid to tear out some stringers to get into the inner fuse. It's the only way to get at the crucial parts. I've ended up putting tundra tires (3 1/4" wheels) on my 60 airframes. They look totally goofy, but they make a big difference. The grass is so thick this year that I couldn't taxi at less than 1/2 throttle. Good luck with your repairs. I hope I helped a little at least. I agree with Depronicus, slow epoxy works well. It gives you time to position clamps.
Marza Taxx is offline Find More Posts by Marza Taxx
Last edited by Marza Taxx; Jul 06, 2015 at 07:50 PM.