HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:50 AM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Modifications to Alfa models?

I am taking a break between scratch builts and recently added the Alfa Corsair to The Fleet. This model is stunning - looks and flys great. If I did the best job I could with balsa and fiberglass, it would take 100 hours and still not look as good or be as light as an Alfa.

I tested the top of the wing when building it and noticed the existing paint comes off easily with acetone without marring the white foam underneath. So you could easily repaint these.

I have about 25 flights on mine and find I am missing the rudder for some aerobatics (stock model is T/E/A). While I know you can add rudder control fairly easily to the Flying Styro models, I'm not sure on Alfa.

So - has anyone added a rudder or re-painted an Alfa?
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:37 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,286 Posts
Greg

You are right about the Alpha F4U -- it is a superb and very well designed plane and the scaleness is really good. I am just starting my second F4U--lost the first one when she augered in--still not sure how I did it. But I was also wondering about rudder control--I noted when I pitched No. 1 theat the rudder is made of two pieces and is hollow. I would think it could be pretty simple to put a balsa trailing edge for the fin and leading edge for the rudder and it should work. Still not sure I want to do that just yet. I also would like to try some other paint schemes--the dark blue is hard on old eyes at a distance.

Pat Daily
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 09:10 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Pat we are thinking exactly alike. I’ve been thinking of painting the underside light blue to improve visual orientation. On the rudder thanks for confirming what my “wiggle” test showed (that it is hollow foam). I think the solution is to carefully cut out the moving surface part of the rudder, glue on a balsa edge to the exposed surface, then finish with touch up paint.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:45 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,274 Posts
Yes, I have. I didn't use acetone, but rubbing alcohol, to remove the paint.
CUBANO8 is offline Find More Posts by CUBANO8
Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:20 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,892 Posts
Nice job cuban8. I crashed my Alfa today (pilot error, again) and will be getting a new one. No question but the next one will get some different paint and a rudder.