Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 29, 2014, 09:37 PM
Joined Sep 2006
25 Posts
Question
Why Not Cover Bottom of Wings on Balsa Micros?

I just finished my first balsa RC micro plane kit and was curious as to why the bottom of the wings are not covered such as their larger counterparts are? Is it due to weight or something else? Of course I was skeptical at first, but I must say, the plane flies really nice. Thanks for any input!
TCraftPO is offline Find More Posts by TCraftPO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:00 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,167 Posts
Probably in the design to create a massive undercamber, which creates lift and stability..

StevensAero kits are known for this... as well as every one of them flies very well from what I understand.. I've got the LiddleGee that has a wing thats only covered on the top.. and it flies great.. and they're specific in the instructs to NOT cover the bottom.

but in a nutshell... I believe the uncovered bottom wing is a part of the airfoil design.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:21 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,147 Posts
Mountain Models micros also cover only the top of the wing.

If you cover the bottom of the wing, the wing camber will be shallower, so the model may fly faster, and it may stall at higher speed. That's not a bad thing, unless you fly in a small space, where you need to be more careful about keeping your model under control. Also, covering the bottom adds weight, which will also raise the stall speed.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:03 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,534 Posts
Generally;
An under cambered airfoil generates more lift at low airspeed than other types. The trade-off comes as airspeed increases and the same model climbs like mad or uncontrollably if there is an abundance of excess thrust.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:36 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,731 Posts
XS climing with unercambered wings can be cured with downthrust. If the plane flies level with at mid-throttle neutral elevator you have the right amount. Downthrust also educes sall/spin on ake-off

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:49 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,119 Posts
It's all about the airfoil. Some micro kits do have fully-covered wings (the SA Air Camper and Hummingbird being two I know for sure). But, the un-covered wing as others have said is a high-lift, high-drag wing that is good for low-speed aircraft. Also, covering adds weight...
CF105 is online now Find More Posts by CF105
Old Jun 30, 2014, 09:36 PM
Joined Sep 2006
25 Posts
Thanks guys, the answers helped to clear things up. The plane is in fact the Stevensaero MicroMAX 103, a great kit and even better flyer.
TCraftPO is offline Find More Posts by TCraftPO
Old Jul 01, 2014, 11:08 PM
Build, fly, crash, repeat.
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Feb 2005
275 Posts
I cover all the bottom sides of my wings. It tends to help when flying in a breeze. This in on 13" models by the way.
Lost In OC is offline Find More Posts by Lost In OC
Old Jul 04, 2014, 02:50 AM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,836 Posts
The late Jef Raskin did some testing with very small airplanes operating at low Reynolds numbers and found that at low Reynolds numbers a slightly cambered flat plate was the most efficient airfoil he found. I think he called it a 4-40 airfoil, that is 4% camber at the 40% mark. A thin flat plate was also good. Thicker airfoils like this one you would get if you covered the bottom just don't work as well at low Reynolds numbers.

Stevens Aero also takes advantage of a little trick. They curve the wing root and then don't put any curve supports near the wing tips. This means the airfoil changes from a thin curved plate near the root to a thin flat plate near the tip. This is good because thin flat plates have very benign stall characteristics. Thus, the root of the wing will stall before you get a tip stall. This is very clever.
groundfx is online now Find More Posts by groundfx
Old Jul 08, 2014, 03:48 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,731 Posts
Park Scale models do this, too.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh