Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 14, 2014, 08:59 AM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
285 Posts
Help!
Taranis, Nano QX, and Stagility

Iím working on a Stagility mode (Stability at Ail/Ele mid-stick, Agility away from mid-stick) for the Nano QX on the Taranis and have hit a snag. Hereís the desired setup.

SA (up) - Throttle Hold - Works
SA (-) - Stability Mode - Works
SA (down) - Stagility Mode - Need some help

I want to enter Stagility mode with the Ail and Ele at 0. The Nano QX triggers Agility mode by a momentary 100% on Ch6 (henceforth pulse). While in Stagility mode, going to Ail and Ele < 10 triggers the pulse as well as going to Ail or Ele > 10 triggering the pulse.

The pulses work once in Stagility mode, but the issue is the initial switching of SA (down) with Ail + Ele at 0 puts the quad into Agility mode when it should remain in Stability mode. After that, itís always in the wrong mode. I canít seem to figure out how to get into Stagility mode with the initial mode being Stability.

Any help would be appreciated.

Custom Switches involved: CS4,5,6,H,I,J,K
Custom Functions involved: CF6,7,8,9,10
muidaq is offline Find More Posts by muidaq
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2014, 12:23 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
1,958 Posts
I have been thinking of something similar and will definitely watch this thread. If I come up with anything, will share it with you.

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old May 14, 2014, 12:27 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,873 Posts
It might help if you define what you want in terms of channel outputs rather than quad modes. It kind of sounds like you want a 100% (+100 in the channel monitor? or zero?) pulse on CH6 with larger deflection of the stick, then another one as it comes back to center?
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old May 14, 2014, 12:45 PM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
408 Posts
muidaq,
So I have a few mins and am looking at this. Not sure why you are using CH14, other than as a marker for throttle hold. My confusion is in the description for turning on Stagility mode. Do you have a link to other docs that explain it?
Fig
Fig Newton is online now Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Old May 14, 2014, 12:52 PM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
Don't know if this will help you but there's a Nano profile here: http://rcsettings.com/index.php/view...de-nqx-01-2014

I have a Taranis and a Nano QX so I'll be getting into this when my DSM module arrives.
Econoline is offline Find More Posts by Econoline
Old May 14, 2014, 02:10 PM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
It might help if you define what you want in terms of channel outputs rather than quad modes. It kind of sounds like you want a 100% (+100 in the channel monitor? or zero?) pulse on CH6 with larger deflection of the stick, then another one as it comes back to center?
That's a good description. Yes, +100 or max "servo throw". The issue is that I don't want the pulse to occur when enabling this behavior when switching SA (down). The pulse at large deflection and at center is working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Newton View Post
muidaq,
So I have a few mins and am looking at this. Not sure why you are using CH14, other than as a marker for throttle hold. My confusion is in the description for turning on Stagility mode. Do you have a link to other docs that explain it?
Fig
I probably should have cleared that out of the model. Yes, it is for my sticky throttle hold.
muidaq is offline Find More Posts by muidaq
Old May 14, 2014, 07:36 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Joined Jun 2004
1,958 Posts
Here's a work-around. I'm mostly interested in using the stagility mode to do rolls and flips. I changed things around a bit so that I don't need to enable stagility with SA. Instead, it only comes on if aileron or elevator is moved beyond 95%. I've moved dual rates out of the stick tab and placed them in mixes. That way, I can set the stagility to turn on or off when aileron or elevator outupts move though 95% either way. When in low rates, they never get that high, so I can fly around in stability mode, even with the sticks at maximum. When in high rates and the aileron or elevator outputs go beyond 95%, channel 6 pulses and the controller goes into agility mode. When the stick is released the opposite happens. I can hit full stick in high rates and do a flip or roll, and then when I release the stick, it automatically levels itself out.

I haven't tried it in the transmitter yet, but it looks good in companion.

I'm sure someone smarter then me will come up with a way to make your version work.

Later;

D.W.
Old May 14, 2014, 07:49 PM
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
Can you post the file so we can try it?
Old May 14, 2014, 08:23 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Joined Jun 2004
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econoline View Post
Can you post the file so we can try it?
Sure.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:45 PM
Joined Jul 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
Sure.
In practice it works alright but what I find the most irritating it that we should just have to send -100 not a pulse. I find that the pulse every once in a while you end up with it in agility mode when it should be in stability mode.
TechIsCool is online now Find More Posts by TechIsCool
Old May 19, 2014, 12:31 AM
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
I've never had an uncommanded change from stability to agility mode. All I do is connect channel 6 to switch SH in Mixes so that channel 6 output is either -100 or +100. Toggling switch SH toggles the stability mode just as it should:

CH06 (100%) SH (stability)
Old May 19, 2014, 09:35 AM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Joined Jun 2004
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Econoline View Post
I've never had an uncommanded change from stability to agility mode. All I do is connect channel 6 to switch SH in Mixes so that channel 6 output is either -100 or +100. Toggling switch SH toggles the stability mode just as it should:

CH06 (100%) SH (stability)
Same here, but what we are trying to do is cheat! We want NOT to have to move a switch to do a flip or roll. Just go to full stick movement and it automatically goes into agility. Then, when the stick is released, it automatically goes into stability and levels itself.

Later;

D.W.
Old May 19, 2014, 09:41 AM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Joined Jun 2004
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechIsCool View Post
In practice it works alright but what I find the most irritating it that we should just have to send -100 not a pulse. I find that the pulse every once in a while you end up with it in agility mode when it should be in stability mode.
Yes, I tried it and it happens some time. The problem is when I quickly go to full stick movement and then center the stick before the first pulse has ended. It then only gets 1 pulse and remains in agility mode. The .5 second pulse is just too long. I haven't tried yet, but in companion the pulse can be set to as fast as .1 seconds. I'm wondering if that would work better.???

Later;

D.W.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:43 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,682 Posts
Does anyone have a simpler eepe file I want to use it on a 9xr and it only has up to CSF and that one use more custom switches though I am not use sure they are being used anywhere.

Thanks
Bob
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:59 AM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf View Post
Does anyone have a simpler eepe file I want to use it on a 9xr and it only has up to CSF and that one use more custom switches though I am not use sure they are being used anywhere.

Thanks
Bob
So I finally figured out what you guys were talking about when you mentioned stagility mode. I had to buy a Nano QX.... I know, it's tough out there. I haven't tackled this stagility piece, but here is an eepe file that does tackle something I noticed. I had three different expos set in the Mixes page. I used SE to switch between the three. SE↑ was low rates at 30%. SE- was medium rates at 50%, and SE↓ was high rates at 100%. Now here's the problem I ran into, with this particular setup, if I set the aileron trim(could be others as well but we will stick with this for the explanation) while in low rates to say +10, when I switched to medium rates the trim goes up by whatever percentage, so just tossing a number out, lets go with +15. So now the Nano QX starts drifting to the right. Flip to high rates and the trim doubles from +15 to +30, and now shes moving right not just drifting. So here's my solution.

3 flight modes. Each set by the SE switch. All use the trims of flight mode 0. But instead of using expo to slow the rates, I used three curves. One to 30%, one to 50%, and then one to 100%. I applied each of these curves to each stick (except throttle), and use that to keep the rates down. Now when I trim the model and switch from flight mode to flight mode, it stays at the same trim.

I am also using SB to put a curve into the throttle. I am finding that with a linear throttle sometimes I have to go mid bump on the throttle. So my thinking about using the curve on the throttle is that it gives me a finer control on the midpoint where you are hovering. You still have full throttle, but this lets you use more stick area to fine tune the throttle setting. One note though, I wouldn't change this while in the air as it can cause a considerable drop or gain in throttle which might not be prudent at that juncture.

You have to arm the throttle with SA↑. If !SA↑, then the throttle is on failsafe. When you have finished your flight, set SA↓ and hit SH and it will reset Timer2, with Timer1 being persistent. This allows you to drop another battery in and reset the timer. It also calls out Timer2 every minute.

If I can figure out how to get even remotely close to the skills I have seen on youtube, I will see if I can figure out this stagility deal. For now agility mode is off limits for me.
Fig Newton is online now Find More Posts by Fig Newton