HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:08 PM
Modesto Calfornia
Joined Feb 2004
700 Posts
pilots

Its always a puzzling feature to me I have Axel pilots in 1/4 and 1/3 they seem to be the best of the bunch but still for me not accurate my 1/4 scale equates to some one almost 7ft tall.
As for these pilots the eyes bulge and the clothes are not even scale,
The best work I have ever seen was from History Aviation a magazine that is devoted to military memorabilia all services, also plastic, die cast and balsa airplanes
They also carry historical figures I bought Orville and Wilbur Wright they were about 7" tall the head neck was a replica of both men, the clothes were period and extremely well made and the fitting was perfect the bodies were fully articulated, I still have a vest and both heads I'll dig them out and post a picture and you will see how they put to shame the pilots currently available here in the US and other countries I wish I could get a 1/4 scale Captain for my boat with this sort of quality I have been searching for 4 years even willing to pay for a custom made one without success
David AKA The Brit
Look for the picture in a bit
fudi50 is offline Find More Posts by fudi50
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2013, 09:30 PM
Modesto Calfornia
Joined Feb 2004
700 Posts
pilots

Here is Wilbur and Orville
Orville was meant for thisCurtis Pusher when I orriginally built it 8 years ago unfortunately I can ot get another Orville.
You can see the qualitiy of these figures and the vest how its beautifully tailored all the rest of the period clothes were same qualitiy
David AKA The Brit
fudi50 is offline Find More Posts by fudi50
Old Oct 18, 2013, 08:05 AM
Australia, SA, Old Noarlunga
Joined Mar 2012
68 Posts
Looks like they crashed in some part of the world and were headhunted....
Super Six 7 is offline Find More Posts by Super Six 7
Old Oct 19, 2013, 09:25 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,534 Posts
My Mom (R.I.P.) made this little guy about 20 years ago. He has 'flown' quite a few of my models. I still have him. He flies the Boxkite although he is a little too big scale wise. Here he is in my Curtiss. I hope you get yours finished. Yours looks more detailed than my scratch built fun scale version.
I have some nice 1/6 Wright Bros pilots (and some others) by an outfit in Cincinnati called 'Blue Corner, Ltd'. Whether they still exist or not I don't know.

Sorry for off topic pics. This is 'sailplanes'.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 25, 2013, 12:25 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
I like these.

Maybe its just me, but it bothers me that the big scale glider figures are always looking almost straight up and not forward...

Im OCD.
You have SO hit the nail on the head! It really is up to the builder IMO: some surgery is always necessary to get the neck bent forward as humans tend to do when flying gliders. Slip any standard puppet into the seat without working on his posture and he's going to be gazing up out of the canopy, looking for the mothership to take him back home....

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 26, 2013, 02:29 PM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
518 Posts
These http://www.ytinternational.co.uk/tai...lots_home.html look better, saw them at the British Nationals and they look quite good.

There was also somebody who would 3D print whatever pilot you wanted.
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Oct 26, 2013, 04:08 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,655 Posts
Those are very nice but almost double the price of Axel. I have see them in person and they are very comparable to an Axel product, very similar construction.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Nov 08, 2013, 10:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
Those are very nice but almost double the price of Axel. I have see them in person and they are very comparable to an Axel product, very similar construction.
If these are double the price of Axel then a 1/4 scale Axel is about $100.........I don't think so.
Peteranthony is offline Find More Posts by Peteranthony