HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:26 AM
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new birds.
The info on this thread has been invaluable for me and hopefully to you as we'll. I too received my replacement today from Banana Hobby after a month of email exchange. The first was DOA with a bad PCB.

Thanks again for all those how have posted on this thread.
NeilGerrard is offline Find More Posts by NeilGerrard
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
great 4ch trainer

Hello to Finished and Husky, thanks to our old friend Stormforce ,he has put alot of time into his blog on the 9116, just click on his name and you should get most info you need but there are still many of us that still check in here from time 2 time that can answer most of your questions,just dont give up and keep practicing .This heli is easy to repair and a great learning tool,I still fly my origional 9116 for fun when my other helis are down or in between charges. I'll always remember where I started and I still love this little bird and make sure that I keep it RTF for new 4ch fliers to try, also for most newbies this is an inexpensive bird to keep a supply of spare parts PS Its a little too big for a begginner to fly indoors unless youre just practicing hovers Happy Flying, Steve
roadglidec is offline Find More Posts by roadglidec
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Never mind about the training kit, i got it thanks though. I tried to fly it quickly today it definitely needs some calibration. Time to read the manual o.0
F1n1shed is offline Find More Posts by F1n1shed
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:03 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,099 Posts
Shorter blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
Has anyone tried putting different rotor blades on their 9116? I would like something about an inch longer and stiffer than the stock ones. I was wondering if maybe 9117 blades would work: they would have the length but I don't know about the stiffness.
I have shortened the stock blades on one of my birds and gone to the Novus 200 blades on the other trying to get a little more control with stiffer blades. I have also used the Walkera blades for the CB180D but they had to be trimmed. They also seem to be brittle and break easily. The Novus 200 blades are the exact same length as the stock blades. Both sets of alternate blades needed the attachment hole drilled out to 5/32". And I'm using a plastic washer at the mounting hole to help stiffen it. It didn't occur to me to try the longer blades since I assume they would take out the tail rotor. I just got some extra Novus 200 blades in yesterday but haven't had the chance to shorten a set by 10mm to see if it improves control with a balance bar I've shortened and thereby reducing the weight.
Don
hifinsword is offline Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:42 AM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
545 Posts
New motor

Hi
My helicopter flying as a freighter. I changed the main motor and I have a super powerful helicopter.
OrangeBird is offline Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:43 AM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBird View Post
Hi
My helicopter flying as a freighter. I changed the main motor and I have a super powerful helicopter.
What motor did you use? I have 2 Xtreme 180 Pro motors on the way. How well does the stock tail hold up with the new main motor?
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:49 AM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
545 Posts
Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
What motor did you use? I have 2 Xtreme 180 Pro motors on the way. How well does the stock tail hold up with the new main motor?
HI
I change for OEM motor buy at banggood.con. I stock always 3 x OEM motors for my 2 x DH9116 and 1 x DH9100 ( DH9100 converted to DH9116). The tail hold up with the new main motor. Just before taking off the ground, adjust the tail boom center with the trim and take off. The helico will take off straight into the air. I think I'm about 50 flights with an OEM motor.
I am trying to test my change on my OEM tail motor for me when everything seems to go super well, I hope to reach about 50 flights with this change because it is better protected. I stock also 3 x OEM tail motor .

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3474

Bye Gilles
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OrangeBird; Oct 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
So last night, I managed to get in the official maiden flight of my new 9116!

It was a relatively windy day yesterday so I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to fly the 9116, but I got lucky. The wind just so happened to die down right before the daylight went away, so I took advantage of the moment and managed to get the 9116 in the air for its first flight.

She flew well!! There was a gentle breeze of maybe 5 MPH (receding from 15-20 MPH earlier in the day) and the 9116 cut into that light breeze without any struggle whatsoever. I mostly just flew in circles and tested the bird's maneuverability, but it was fun nonetheless. I also managed to trim it out a little better than my test flight in the garage earlier in the day. I didn't hit anything and I didn't crash! The flight did end with a slightly rough landing though.

Before the flight I gave a thorough (and slow) read through of the transmitter's instruction manual for the second time. After playing with the transmitter while reading the manual, I began to understand what everything meant and what its capable of. It is still is a horrible manual, and I still have questions that need clarification regarding the transmitter, but I'm sure these answers will come in time. Maybe another read through might be beneficial.

I haven't had a chance to play with the fine tuning just yet as I'm still trying to gain understanding of the transmitter features and getting used to the bird and how she flies. I'll play with these features a little later.

In the end, the flight was satisfying, entertaining, and it lived up to my expectations. Can't wait to fly the 9116 again!
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Glad to hear it husky, im stuck at work real eager to try mine again. Now one question I noticed my heli would usually shift to the right when it's about to hover. I didnt have much time to read that hard manual but anyone know what setting name controls the right movement. Note im not talking about the tail turning, the actual bird. Also with the quick trim switch where you click it side to side, I clicked that a few times to the left but it didn't seem to do much. So I'm trying to set it in the menu so it stays, thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:07 PM
Wow, the sky is clear
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1n1shed View Post
Glad to hear it husky, im stuck at work real eager to try mine again. Now one question I noticed my heli would usually shift to the right when it's about to hover. I didnt have much time to read that hard manual but anyone know what setting name controls the right movement. Note im not talking about the tail turning, the actual bird. Also with the quick trim switch where you click it side to side, I clicked that a few times to the left but it didn't seem to do much. So I'm trying to set it in the menu so it stays, thanks.
Just before taking off the ground, adjust the tail boom center with the trim and take off.

Bye Gilles
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:15 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1n1shed View Post
If the bird drifts to the right, dont mess with the trim buttons or subtrims - try the mechanical trim first to minimize it. Then do the rest with the subtrims in the TX menu.
If you wanted just to say the heli leans to the right while hovering more or less still in the air - that's caused by the head-construction and pure physics. Don't try to compensate with weight on the left skid etc, reduces only flight time and maxes tear n' wear.
To Your question of movements and terms:
Elevators does not mean elevation, it means pitch (nose up and down), ailerons means roll (bank left and right) and rudder means yaw (rotation of the axis). Throttle controls elevation on any fixed pitch heli. Speed is achieved by how much you pitch the nose down (elevators) while holding a consistent elevation by adjusting the throttle.
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Alright I'm still not home grr, must fly. Anyways im not sure i know how to do the mechanic trim because I don't have the right tools for it and don't want to mess anything up. As far as the weight thing I know some people said don't add weight to the heli. But i already taped 3 pennies to the front of the canopy. The heli was doing a lot of back flight. Ill look through the menu settings again at home and try to adjust it. I'll report back with any issues I have, thanks for the help. I'm real noob a with this stuff atm.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
If the bird drifts to the right, dont mess with the trim buttons or subtrims - try the mechanical trim first to minimize it. Then do the rest with the subtrims in the TX menu.
Just how exactly does one mechanically trim a 9116?
HuskySpade is offline Find More Posts by HuskySpade
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:21 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskySpade View Post
Just how exactly does one mechanically trim a 9116?
By adjusting the servo arms and lengthening or shortening the rods to get it to hover nicely without adjusting the tx.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Last edited by Budasac; Oct 11, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
For any new 9116 pilots I would strongly suggest looking up "Stormforces " blog on this forum. In my oppinion as well Im sure aswell as many others his site should be labled the 9116 "Bible" All you need to know is there Dont waste your time searching this forum Its like 3800 posts long Steve
roadglidec is offline Find More Posts by roadglidec
Closed Thread