HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Has anyone found a better retract that fits the holes or need a lil modding? I've had my retract collapse on me twice during landings on rollout the plane turns and will collapse retract(s). After a few collapses now the housing has started to crack. I know some will say land softer, but most landings are soft with occasional hard landings, but it's the roll after landings that gives the occasional collapse if the plane turns too hard on the ground. I've got 2 sets arriving soon, but would like a better more reliable retract. Honestly I don't like the fms retract setup on this retract.
This is sad especially when I've talked to FMS and they are more depressed about it than we are. They are working so feverishly to produce high quality foam planes only to have the outsourced third-party electronics/retracts taint the product they are working so hard to improve. That's why they are now building their own retracts in-house. If their retracts are as good as their planes, then I can't wait for the versions with them. I feel your pain brother.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:04 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,531 Posts
Welp I guess that's my next job finding the best retract that'll work. I've got a few different brands sitting in the closet so ill go from there.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:05 PM
United States, CA, Yosemite Lakes
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
Hopefully they will get those retracts into the V3 planes. And offer us some sort of discount so we can upgrade once they are available.
That would be nice.
scribble007 is offline Find More Posts by scribble007
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:13 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2002
142 Posts
Mine is FS posted in the classifieds. I just had to put $1100 into my van for repairs and need to sell.

Curt
curtusua is offline Find More Posts by curtusua
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,008 Posts
I'm doing the eFlite 25-46 metal retracts. The hole for the stut needs some drilling out, but really easy with the aluminum. The rest of the retract is slightly smaller than stock, so easily fits in the space provided.

Should be a really easy upgrade, rock solid but pricy. Worth it to have confidence the thing is not going to catch fire on you.

Quote:
Has anyone found a better retract that fits the holes or need a lil modding? I've had my retract collapse on me twice during landings on rollout the plane turns and will collapse retract(s). After a few collapses now the housing has started to crack. I know some will say land softer, but most landings are soft with occasional hard landings, but it's the roll after landings that gives the occasional collapse if the plane turns too hard on the ground. I've got 2 sets arriving soon, but would like a better more reliable retract. Honestly I don't like the fms retract setup on this retract.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,531 Posts
sbritton,

Where can i get the specs/measurements on these retracts? I looked in eflite website and couldn't find any. Or can you measure from width screw hole to hole and length screw hole to hole. Just trying to get an idea before i purchase some. Thanks as i would prefer and pay for metal reatracts as an upgrade.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbritton View Post
I'm doing the eFlite 25-46 metal retracts. The hole for the stut needs some drilling out, but really easy with the aluminum. The rest of the retract is slightly smaller than stock, so easily fits in the space provided.

Should be a really easy upgrade, rock solid but pricy. Worth it to have confidence the thing is not going to catch fire on you.
Will their shorter length put the prop in danger of ground strikes on roll out or anything?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:10 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,008 Posts
Not at all...you use the same exact struts & wheels from the stock retracts.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFLG300

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribble007 View Post
Will their shorter length put the prop in danger of ground strikes on roll out or anything?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:15 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,008 Posts
Eflite 25-46 Retracts

Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:39 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,539 Posts
Quote:

Very cool on your retract replacement research and work... Please keep us all updated on your progress...

Also comforting to hear FMS is actively trying to resolve the gear problem...
I for one would be happy to upgrade to the strongest set they can develop...

This present wiring and fire threat problem some are experiencing are definitely a potential sales threat to potential buyers and not only for this model but each of the FMS models as word gets around...

These threads as we all know can make or break a models potential sales, as well as the overall trust in any company... Cheap doesn't cut it and can ruin a companies reputation very quickly throughout all these various RC Forums...

I really hope they can get this gear problem ironed out... Others may choose to do it differently but I for one will only buy once from a junk company...

Landing gear has always been a week area in RC modeling especially when the units have to me secured into Foam... Motor mounts also having to be secured into Foam firewalls are constantly at risk... The bigger the motors the more critical it becomes versus securing to thick plywood, carbon fiber, and glass, and vibration magnifies the problems... We've seen what motors can do when the separate mid flight...

We all deal with it best we can... Some use little to no precautions and fly just fine, and others totally reinforce everything and still crash, ha...

It's what makes it fun right...?

Happy Week...
bnick
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,531 Posts
Quote:

great that's what I figured that the strut would work fine.

Quote:
So pretty much all you have to do is drill new holes into the aluminum to line up with the existing mount holes? Or is there more to it?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:53 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,008 Posts
Yep, just enlarge the hole for the strut and work out the wiring. You can pull all of the tape and run an extention, or what I'm doing is cutting the wire to the old retract and putting a female connector to do a straight plug-in to the existing wires.

Easy peesy mac-n-cheesy.

Quote:
great that's what I figured that the strut would work fine.

So pretty much all you have to do is drill new holes into the aluminum to line up with the existing mount holes? Or is there more to it?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Quote:
I'm submitting these photos to FMS. I want them to see this is what we hope they emmulate at the factory. Metal gears that can hold up to E-flites. If they can come close to these then we have a winner.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Jan 2008
687 Posts
Do you guys think I could get away with using 4-3s 2200 packs made into a home made brick in this model? Or would it be best to just use my 6s 5000s I use in my helicopters and just make it fit?
I try to always get batteries and models that can share batteries.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:07 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Here's the email I just sent -

Hi (name withheld for privacy)-

The talk of the need for better, metal retracts is really gaining speed in the RCG thread on the 1700MM P-51. I've told them that the issue is upsetting to you guys and that is why you have decided to manufacture the retracts yourselves.

Well, the number one replacement upgrade retract for these warbirds are the E-flite 25-46 90 degree servoless retracts. http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFLG300.

I've attached photos of one of your consumers who replaced the stock retracts with these. I wanted to show this to you in the hopes that you guys would consider building your own that are very similar in quality and design. As one guy in the thread put it:

"...Also comforting to hear FMS is actively trying to resolve the gear problem... I for one would be happy to upgrade to the strongest set they can develop.."

I know cost is always a factor for companies but I think investing in the quality components will pay off in the long term in reputation and sales as FMS continues to show why they are the leaders in quality foam RC planes.

Thanks for listening!

Todd
RCG Plus Member