HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Jan 2013
137 Posts
My replacement parts arrived from the seller today.
Fast delivery from HK, I can't fault them for that.
The envelope they where in however was damaged, so bad that it was actually in a second envelope from the royal mail apologising for the damage.
There was a big hole in the envelope and a big hole in the plastic parts bag inside, however nothing appeared to be missing.
This has been a bad (laughable) experience for me from start to finish, but at least I will (eventually) have a nice helicopter.
GadgetMart is offline Find More Posts by GadgetMart
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:10 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Wishing you all the best, GadgetMart. My build got stopped when I overtightened my servos onto the frame and shattered two of the servo cases. Replacement cases should be arriving today, and I will be gingerly snugging them next time.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:20 AM
Controls Engineer
United States, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Dec 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Honestly, guys, my next kit will be a proper Align 250 kit.
Well, I'm there. Looking at the KX019013 kit with a AR7200BX. I expect that is will perform as good as the MicroBeast I have in my 480. With real estate at a premium I think the AR is a wise choice.

Please let me know if there is a thread out there that I missed closer Aligned, pun intended.
lasakro is offline Find More Posts by lasakro
Last edited by lasakro; Mar 03, 2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:39 AM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Well, let the frustrations begin. I got this heli all put together, charged up my new 800 mAh batteries, and gave the heli several hand-held test spools. And, it has a horrific high-frequency tail vibe. Without the blades, the heli seems pretty smooth, but with blades it is terrible. My fancy Align blades produce the same vibes as the lousy CopterX blades. The tail shaft appears to be straight at low to medium RPM, but at higher RPM it is easy to see that the end of the tail shaft gets blurry due to the vibes. So, now that I've got my heli all put together, it is time to start taking it apart, again, and no doubt replacing new parts with more expensive Align parts.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:56 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,872 Posts
No need to replace yet . Take the tail off and balance it with the hub on. Same with the main head . That should fix alot of the vibes
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:06 AM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Hi Jombo, thanks for your advice. I was actually thinking the same thing. I cannot see any other way to effectively balance that tiny tail structure.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:00 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,872 Posts
Yea, not the best parts . These things are always out of balance , I ended up using a 1 inch piece of electrical tape on the tail blade .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:07 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Sheesh, that must of vibed like a bastard before the tape!
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:09 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Ok, so I did a little bit of fiddling with the tail. Pulled the tail rotor off, and it balances pretty well, actually. It is the tail shaft that seems to have slight vibing tendency, hard to tell with the rotor off. Is the Align tail shaft a direct fit?
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:15 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,581 Posts
*Bleep* Just got my Align ALI-H25095A weighted tail blade holder from rc711.
Ofcourse one of the "Socket Button Head Screw" is partially stripped.
Going to see if i can get it out by CA'ing my hex driver onto the screw and letting it set overnight.
If not iv wasted 14$ + shipping and need to start the waiting game again.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:54 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
I am sorry to hear about that, after having been waiting and all. I wonder whether you really need to pull out that screw if it's stuck in there so well already. I assume you want to add threadlock, but if the screw is hopelessly stuck, then maybe you don't need to worry about it?
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:57 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,581 Posts
Well, the grip is wobbling on the grip holder so i need to fix that.
Will see how it goes tomorrow, i got a tip from my local hobbyists to heat the grip and then gently tap in a 1 size larger hex bit.

worst case ill just go with the stock tail, iv got it 100x better then it was before. I had to remove one of the spacers to get it to move freely. And i replaced the pitch links with align ones so now its very close to being slop free.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:34 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
My CopterX grips have been a struggle. I discovered that one of the holes in the rotor hub is deeper than the other, so one grip can be tightened all the way down until it siezes while the other grip cannot be tightened all the way. This imbalance at least contributes to the vibes I am experiencing. I can either shorten one of the screws, or deepen one of the holes in the hub. I think I will shorten one of the screws and then attempt to balance the whole tail system by trial and error.

I do notice that the grips are really wobbly on the hub, because they are each supported by only a single little bearing inside. I realize that there is a shim between each grip and the hub, but the shim only serves to reduce some of the play, not actually support the grip. The Align tail rotor seems to be created the same way, so I am going to hold off on buying the Align part until I am convinced that I cannot get the CopterX part working correctly. I would like to minimize buying Align parts for this heli, and then go ahead and get an Align kit later on down the road.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:57 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
My CopterX grips have been a struggle. I discovered that one of the holes in the rotor hub is deeper than the other, so one grip can be tightened all the way down until it siezes while the other grip cannot be tightened all the way. This imbalance at least contributes to the vibes I am experiencing. I can either shorten one of the screws, or deepen one of the holes in the hub. I think I will shorten one of the screws and then attempt to balance the whole tail system by trial and error.

I do notice that the grips are really wobbly on the hub, because they are each supported by only a single little bearing inside. I realize that there is a shim between each grip and the hub, but the shim only serves to reduce some of the play, not actually support the grip. The Align tail rotor seems to be created the same way, so I am going to hold off on buying the Align part until I am convinced that I cannot get the CopterX part working correctly. I would like to minimize buying Align parts for this heli, and then go ahead and get an Align kit later on down the road.
I'm cheating on my grips, using 2x bearings in each grip from my walkera mini cp main blade grips Basically a hobo HEIM JOINT upgrade mod as i had spares from my minicp. Unfortunately one of the copterx blade grips is longer then the other so it rubs against the spacer between the hub and the grip.

So i can only have a spacer on one of the grips. This is why i want to try to save the weighted align grips first. If that dosn't work I'm going to have to be very thorough in balancing the entire tail hub.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:22 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
I'm cheating on my grips, using 2x bearings in each grip from my walkera mini cp main blade grips Basically a hobo HEIM JOINT upgrade mod as i had spares from my minicp. Unfortunately one of the copterx blade grips is longer then the other so it rubs against the spacer between the hub and the grip.

So i can only have a spacer on one of the grips. This is why i want to try to save the weighted align grips first. If that dosn't work I'm going to have to be very thorough in balancing the entire tail hub.
I know it seems like one grip is longer than the other, but when I started measuring things with my calipers I found that the grips are the same length. I then thought that perhaps the bearings were not inserted into the grips to the same depth. Again, they turned out to be the same. The only other possibility I could think of was that the threaded holes in the rotor hub are not the same depth, thus allowing one grip to be pushed against the shim too much. Sure enough, I found that there is about 0.10mm of difference--not much, but it makes enough difference to cause a substatial vibration at mid throttle. I'll bet you that it is the same for you, too. Also, I don't recommend going with a shim on one side and not the other--again, that'll cause vibration hell. The rotor has to be symmetric on both sides, and then it'll have to be further balanced with the blades installed.