HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:28 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,203 Posts
How about a little EPO FW190 action. I hate flying this plane, not because it doesn't fly great because it is very rare anymore. I would hate to crash it.
FW190 EPO GWS (3 min 52 sec)

And yet another AT-6 flight with a little grass mowing action.
GWS AT-6 evening (1 min 22 sec)
semperfi1970 is online now Find More Posts by semperfi1970
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:17 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
612 Posts
I wonder if having the landing gear in place actually contributes to it being more likely to sustain damage from a mishap, versus having no landing gear, and just cruzing in on her belly. Landing gear, runway take offs and landings, seem to have a higher incidents of mishaps.

Interesting speculation...Is the likelihood for damage proportionally greater with landing gear on EPO versus gearless EPS? Put another way, is gearless EPS actually more likely to preserve the plane in the long run compared to geared EPO?

Hey, that would be an interesting poll...

[QUOTE=semperfi1970;28893769]I would hate to crash it
FW190 EPO GWS (3 min 52 sec)
QuizCat is offline Find More Posts by QuizCat
Last edited by QuizCat; Jul 14, 2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:33 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
612 Posts
Which motor for the T6?

Ok, Semperfi, I did a little more work on the T6 tonight...Yeah!!! I didn't do a lot, but it got me thinking about the motor selection.

So, I have the following motors in my pile of surplus (all new motors), and can't remember which of these motors I had intended to use, if any. Knowing that I like a nice, calm, floater, which of these should I be considering for the T6, if any? If you recommend that I purchase a completely new motor, I'll consider that as well, depending on if it has the flight characteristics I like over the ones I already have. If I need to order a new motor, then I figured I should probably get it on order soon since I'm about getting close to dealing with the electronics.

I will probably use the 28mm round plastic stick mount unless you recommend I go with a different stick mount. I also have the 35mm in my pile of stuff, but not sure how it will adapt to the cowl and the front of the plane. Your thoughts???

Emax BL2220/07...
From HURC: "The Emax BL2220/07 is a 2.9 ounce, 450 class, 1200KV, 280 watt outrunner brushless motor. It's a good choice for sport planes weighing 20 to 48 ounces. The APC 9x4.5E is a good all around prop for this motor. The APC 10x5E prop can be used for maximum thrust, and the APC 9x6E is a good choice for high speed models."

Emax Grand Turbo GT2215/12...
From HURC: "The Emax GT2215/12 is a 2.4 ounce, 400/450 class, 900KV, 200 watt outrunner brushless motor. It's a good choice for sport planes weighing 18 to 35 ounces, and 3D models weighing 15 to 25 ounces. Good prop choices for the GT2215/12 include the APC 10x4.7SF for best all around performance, the APC 11x3.8SF for maximum 3D performance, and the APC 10x7E for higher speed sport models."

Emax Grand Turbo GT2215/20...
From Hurc: "The Emax GF2215/20 is a 2.0 ounce, 400/450 class, 1200kv, 260 watt outrunner brushless motor. It's a good choice for sport planes weighing 15 to 40 ounces. This powerful little motor includes a firewall mount, and can also be mounted on models with 10mm sticks by purchasing an Aluminum Stick Mount . The GWS 9050 is a good all around prop for this motor, and will provide up to 36 ounces of thrust with a strong 3 cell Lipo battery. The GWS 1060 prop can be used for even higher thrust, and the GWS HD8060 and GWS 9075 props are good choices for high speed models. You will need a 3mm Prop Adapter for mounting a prop, and GWS props must be drilled out to fit on the prop adapter."

Turnigy D2826-10...
Specs:
Rpm/V: 1400kv
Shaft: 3.17mm
Voltage: 2S~3S (7.4v to 11.1v)
Weight: 50g
Watts: 205w
Max Current: 21A
ESC: 40A
Suggested Prop: 7x4(3S) ~ 9x4.7 (2S)
Mounting Hole Bolt Circle: 16mm or 19mm
Last edited by QuizCat; Jul 14, 2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,203 Posts
The bl2220/07 is the weapon of choice as you should not be adding any nose weight with a 1300mah 3s battery. 30 amp esc and a GWS 1060 prop. The 28mm mount is optimum as the 35mm will make the motor offset. Tomorrow I will mark the CG exact and give that measurement to you. It will fly nose heavy fine but makes it a bit faster, I bet you want the perfect CG.

Here is a video of the third flight of the GWS P51 from Sunday. The P51 will fly slow if built light. I built mine light but not balanced because I tail mounted the elevator servo. No 1300mah battery for the P51, it needs a 2200mah to balance out the tail servo. All in all it is a very good flier. I will post other videos when I get them downloaded.
GWS P51 (1 min 33 sec)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,203 Posts
Took the P51 out for a spin tonight. It was a tad windy for the little bird but we make due.
GWS P51 Mustang (4 min 21 sec)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:43 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
612 Posts
Yeah, I figured that the BL2220/07 was going to be the best choice too. It looks like it will work out well. Thanks for the recommendation, it confirms my own assessment of which of the motors I already have that might be best for the T6.

I noticed something peculiar...the cowl doesn't really fit all the way over the nose like it should right out of the box. I had to remove about a 1/4" of the foam material that sticks out from the bottom of the nose in order to push the cowl all the way into position so that it's positioned concentric with the nose. Without cutting some material away at the bottom, that tab at the bottom of the fuselage interfered with putting the cowl on straight and concentric, and would have required the cowl to be canted, or mounted too shallow on the nose.

Name: 20140715_223817.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 44.1 KB
Description:
The protrusion of the frame at the bottom of the fuselage obstructs the cowl mounting over the sunken tabs all the way...See how the white part I removed extended into a zone occupied by the sunken tabs where you're supposed to use either double stick tape, and/or afix the cowl with screws to the nose.

Name: 20140715_223800.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 41.2 KB
Description:
After cutting about 1/4" of the tab away, now the cowl fits concentrically...

Name: 20140715_223838.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 51.8 KB
Description:
...now the cowl also bottoms out against the other foam frame stops that are positioned around the periphery of the nose of the fuselage. Apparently these are areas of the fuselage that are intended to form a base for the cowl to bottom out against, but without removing a 1/4" of material off the bottom tab the cowl won't bottom out flat.

That's the BL2220/07 motor temporarily slipped onto the stick, and it looks like the gap is about perfect in relation to the edge of the cowl, once the 1/4" of material was removed from the protrusion that is.

Did you find the fitting of the cowl to also be an issue with your kit, Semperfi? It must be a design flaw in the kit itself on my kit. It's no big deal to cut away the foam material to achieve proper fit, but maybe the kit I have was a reject. I do have one of the last T6 kits in existence I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi1970 View Post
The bl2220/07 is the weapon of choice as you should not be adding any nose weight with a 1300mah 3s battery. 30 amp esc and a GWS 1060 prop. The 28mm mount is optimum as the 35mm will make the motor offset. Tomorrow I will mark the CG exact and give that measurement to you. It will fly nose heavy fine but makes it a bit faster, I bet you want the perfect CG.

Here is a video of the third flight of the GWS P51 from Sunday. The P51 will fly slow if built light. I built mine light but not balanced because I tail mounted the elevator servo. No 1300mah battery for the P51, it needs a 2200mah to balance out the tail servo. All in all it is a very good flier. I will post other videos when I get them downloaded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJKkfRB_yOg
Last edited by QuizCat; Jul 15, 2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 09:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,203 Posts
Awesome to see you back into the AT-6 Quiz. The cowls on the model do take a little fiddling with to fit worth a darn. I anymore get around this by gluing mine on and forgoing the plastic mounting buttons altogether. If the motor stick is not glued in I would balance the plane with the motor stick depth using the weight of the motor for your adjustment. Here is my CG for you to reference from and this is with a 3s 1300mah battery pushed forward in the battery bay. With the plane inverted it is 65mm in from the leading edge. The tiny black dot on the wing is my CG where I get nice slow flights and great handling as well as slow landings. I wont even get into how great these things fly because I have beaten that horse down before.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 09:57 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
612 Posts
Oh, , the stick is already glued in place...But, I can see now that in the future I should probably wait to do that because that would be a much better way to achieve CG, just moving the stick into a particular position to acheive CG from the weight of the motor, kind of like a built-in adjustable fulcrum, then securing it. But, thanks for the CG position on yours. I'll use that as a starting point, but I may, or may not, have to add weights to get it to balance out.

The other issue I seem to struggle with is securing the 28mm motor mount to the wooden stick. I usually use a screw to accomplish that, and have even resorted to also using hot glue as a backup. But, I've had trouble with it loosening up from the torque of the motor, especially if I only use a screw. How do you secure the 28mm plastic mount to the wooden stick?

Quote:
If the motor stick is not glued in...
Last edited by QuizCat; Jul 16, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,203 Posts
Quiz, the motor mount is an easy one. Even on my 1200watt Corsair I use a stick mount, 38mm mount but a stick mount none the less. All I do is mount the 28mm mount on the stick and screw in the screw (so the screw hole is in the rite place). I then remove the screw and mount from the stick and drip a few drops of any old super glue into the hole and on the open grain of the wood stick end. Wait a few hours for the glue to soak in and dry out completely then re mount the motor mount and motor. This hardens the stick end and the hole the screw goes in like a rock. The screw will not loosen unless you loosen it with a screw driver.

I should have been more descriptive when I said I glue on the cowls. What I do is add double sided foam tape to the very end of the fuselage. Then I use a little GWS contact glue when it is still wet and use that to slide the cowling in place. It makes a very solid cowl mounting and allows you to mount it deep or shallow to match your motor depth.

You will not be disappointed with the end result with the AT-6. They track so smooth and straight that when level just a few feet off of the ground I can go hands off and it will fly there till it hits something. Obviously I have mine trimmed and balanced to do so but it was darn near off of the building table. Four clicks of down elevator and it will do the same inverted
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:15 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
612 Posts
Ok, good, I'll try that super glue idea...As usual, I've been tied up again, but I'll get back on it soon, I hope!!!

I have much more to comment on within the forum when I'm building because I seem to run into all kinds of questions, issues, observations, etc...

But, frankly, I am running out of room to hang the planes in the basement. I simply don't know where I'm going to go with another one of these things. I think that's partially why I've been slacking off...

But, then, there are some, like yourself I'm sure, that must constantly deal with where to go with them as they come off the assembly line. You are certainly more prolific than I. Maybe the only real way to deal with it is to crash them occasionally as a means of natural, but timely, attrition.

Quote:
Quiz, the motor mount is an easy one. Even on my 1200watt Corsair I use a stick mount, 38mm mount but a stick mount none the less. All I do is mount the 28mm mount on the stick and screw in the screw (so the screw hole is in the rite place). I then remove the screw and mount from the stick and drip a few drops of any old super glue into the hole and on the open grain of the wood stick end. Wait a few hours for the glue to soak in and dry out completely then re mount the motor mount and motor. This hardens the stick end and the hole the screw goes in like a rock. The screw will not loosen unless you loosen it with a screw driver.

I should have been more descriptive when I said I glue on the cowls. What I do is add double sided foam tape to the very end of the fuselage. Then I use a little GWS contact glue when it is still wet and use that to slide the cowling in place. It makes a very solid cowl mounting and allows you to mount it deep or shallow to match your motor depth.

You will not be disappointed with the end result with the AT-6. They track so smooth and straight that when level just a few feet off of the ground I can go hands off and it will fly there till it hits something. Obviously I have mine trimmed and balanced to do so but it was darn near off of the building table. Four clicks of down elevator and it will do the same inverted
Last edited by QuizCat; Jul 17, 2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 08:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,203 Posts
Quiz, if the goal is to thin out the herd, well then I am a overachiever. It doesn't matter how long one has been flying because we all crash them. Here is a funny video from last week where I roached my brand new hotliner by flying into the sun. All I could do was put it into a spin and try to pick up the colors of the wings flashing to gain orientation. Well lets say that time runs out fast at high speed The plane spiked into the ground half way up the wing. The Daughter stopped the video before the flames reached about 3 feet. I think I can fix it. I'm just kidding, its $275 down the drain Rite before the video ends you can hear the Daughter snicker, she is no stranger to seeing model planes wadded up. As far as to where to store them as you build them, I have two rooms in the house and some of the garage loaded up. The old gassers are kept in the garage collecting dust.
PICT000284.AVI (1 min 21 sec)
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:22 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
612 Posts
Yep, came down hard!!! What caused the smoke? The lipo exploded? Nice touch with the smoke...If you have to crash it, you might as well enjoy the show...

Quote:
Quiz, if the goal is to thin out the herd, well then I am a overachiever. It doesn't matter how long one has been flying because we all crash them. Here is a funny video from last week where I roached my brand new hotliner by flying into the sun. All I could do was put it into a spin and try to pick up the colors of the wings flashing to gain orientation. Well lets say that time runs out fast at high speed The plane spiked into the ground half way up the wing. The Daughter stopped the video before the flames reached about 3 feet. I think I can fix it. I'm just kidding, its $275 down the drain Rite before the video ends you can hear the Daughter snicker, she is no stranger to seeing model planes wadded up. As far as to where to store them as you build them, I have two rooms in the house and some of the garage loaded up. The old gassers are kept in the garage collecting dust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvjdu...bGtm_SLC2osTGw