HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:07 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
I've been achieving hit and miss results with my packing tape application (mostly misses).

What methods do you use to get good tape application results?

-- do you apply the tape lengthwise or widthwise?
-- do you overlap or try to get seamless edge alignment?
-- do you use an applying tool -- that takes a roll / has a handle?
-- do you have methods of getting that tape on bubble / wrinkle free?

It would be great to see a video of expert tape application...

Thanks!
Heres how I tape. Real easy and you don't need a credit card.

1. ) Line your DT up with one end of the table.
2. ) End of the tape gets taped to the table ( Not the foam )
3. ) Stretch the tape the length of the foam without touching the foam.
4. ) Lower the tape down onto the foam while keeping it snug but not overly tight.
5. ) Lightly run your hand down the length.

Easy. Fast. Wrinkle free. Careful on having tape to tight or it will warp the foam.

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
19 Posts
Cheep Spar

"For my push rods I go to Home Depot and get Empire Stake Flags 100 Pack for $7.98 a bundle."

I am sure someone has found this before but I am going to tell you about it anyway. I went to Lowes today to get some flags and found this stick reflector. The fiberglass shaft is about 44" and is 0.25" diameter. It was $1.99. They had some other styles with thicker shafts, for around $2.25, that may work for a slow stick tail boom. I thought it was cool.
Buggyboat is offline Find More Posts by Buggyboat
Last edited by Buggyboat; Jan 18, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:49 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
799 Posts
Finished the Simitar Clone or at least my version of one. Cg is dead on on this one after that mistake a while back. Plus I have 3 wings under my belt now. will maiden sometime next week after i'm done being sick...

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:50 AM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
Finished the Simitar Clone or at least my version of one. Cg is dead on on this one after that mistake a while back. Plus I have 3 wings under my belt now. will maiden sometime next week after i'm done being sick...

Nightstone
The landing gear on a simitar need to be in a tricycle configuration. You will break the vert stabilizer off that way.
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Oct 2011
846 Posts
Quote:
Heres how I tape. Real easy and you don't need a credit card.

1. ) Line your DT up with one end of the table.
2. ) End of the tape gets taped to the table ( Not the foam )
3. ) Stretch the tape the length of the foam without touching the foam.
4. ) Lower the tape down onto the foam while keeping it snug but not overly tight.
5. ) Lightly run your hand down the length.

Easy. Fast. Wrinkle free. Careful on having tape to tight or it will warp the foam.
Yup. That's the method I've been settling into, although I do use a gift card most times to pin down the tape.

It's like hitting a nine iron. You have to think about it, but if you over think it you end up in the rough. And, like putting or hitting a billiard shot, going into a tank sometimes produces spectacular results, but is usually a bad idea. If you've been hovering over a wing, gazing transfixed through murky tape, edging 1mm back and forth, I would say abort, take a breather, have a coffee or whatever, and come back to it.
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:08 AM
Joined Oct 2011
846 Posts
Quote:

Nightstone
Looking good! I like the red / yellow motif -- I'll bet that at altitude or distance that'll produce a colour blending effect producing orange, thereby enhancing visibility.

Nice!
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:21 AM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2012
285 Posts
$Tree FB and Tape!

After reading your descriptions, watching Ed's videos and several 'practice' wings & fuselages I was still struggling to lay down a decent, wrinkle-free piece of tape. Here is my solution:
Armin Wing Taping (14 min 53 sec)
justj is online now Find More Posts by justj
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:32 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justj View Post
After reading your descriptions, watching Ed's videos and several 'practice' wings & fuselages I was still struggling to lay down a decent, wrinkle-free piece of tape. Here is my solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHeKICC7mbw
Hi jestj thanks for sharing you ideas, if your system works then thatīs good, it seems to be too long for me. My eyes are also 62 years old but having practiced with some junk board I now manage it wrinkle free and pretty quick using Eds method. I have a high wing and a low wing NOOB and they fly just great, good luck with your project.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined Jan 2013
114 Posts
Has anyone been successful at making 1.25inch fuse's? I ask only because I am thinking about P38 style FPV plane 80 inch wing span (30/20/30)... able to run twins on the outer booms for a heavier payload or a faster more local mission, or run a large pusher with folding prop for longer range FPV. The center "Cockpit) will hang under the wing and obviously handle the payload Batteries, Pan and tilt camera, go pro. Do you think the 20 inch spread between the Booms is enough space to place Vtx on one side and Rx on the other and avoid interference? Would the 1.25 inch booms be large enough to accept Dlink Reciever and ant. on one side and Vtx/CP ant. on the other?
DaFats is online now Find More Posts by DaFats
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:42 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justj View Post
That's a great idea! Doing it the freehand way works but it certainly does take some practice to get good. I have a lot of respect for precise, organized methods like yours. Thanks for sharing your video.
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFats View Post
Has anyone been successful at making 1.25inch fuse's? I ask only because I am thinking about P38 style FPV plane 80 inch wing span (30/20/30)... able to run twins on the outer booms for a heavier payload or a faster more local mission, or run a large pusher with folding prop for longer range FPV. The center "Cockpit) will hang under the wing and obviously handle the payload Batteries, Pan and tilt camera, go pro. Do you think the 20 inch spread between the Booms is enough space to place Vtx on one side and Rx on the other and avoid interference? Would the 1.25 inch booms be large enough to accept Dlink Reciever and ant. on one side and Vtx/CP ant. on the other?
I can offer this design for some possible ideas. I went with 2" boom tubes just to have the internal space. I might go down to 1.5" but it would be a little tight. I will be honest, it took some finesse and internal bracing to keep the tubes from deforming since the forces in flight under lift were different than the forces on the ground, sitting on landing gear. See what you think.

OZONE Foamboard UAV for FPV (11 min 5 sec)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Here's another contest for you guys up north. I know it's "building season" but this might entice you out into the snow for some foamboard experimentation.

SCRATCHBUILDING CONTEST - "SNOWBIRD" - $150 prize (3 min 22 sec)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:57 PM
Joined Jan 2013
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
I can offer this design for some possible ideas. I went with 2" boom tubes just to have the internal space. I might go down to 1.5" but it would be a little tight. I will be honest, it took some finesse and internal bracing to keep the tubes from deforming since the forces in flight under lift were different than the forces on the ground, sitting on landing gear. See what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fXhs-hcxEk
This is very close to what I was thinking about trying to duplicate but with slightly better aerodynamics ( tapered fuses to meet the twin engines or an end cap, and horizontal stab, a 2x3 main cargo tray (not sure if that is enough clearance for a go pro). I was going to integrate the Spoons air intake to cool ESC's or mount them with heat sinks through the fuse to for cooling...

Any pics of the better bracing? Any suggestions or comments if you were to rebuild from scratch? I was thinking about playing with flaps being placed between the left and right booms as a possibility but not sure if there is enough space there.
DaFats is online now Find More Posts by DaFats
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
285 Posts
Twin Booms

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFats View Post
I have done a couple of twin boom planes. An SO-11 type and a personal design. Check the 2nd plane in the video. The booms are triangular and taper to 1.25 at the tail.
Chino Valley Model Aviators Club Meeting (9 min 13 sec)
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Feb 2012
285 Posts
SO-11 Twin Boom

Here is the SO-11 twin, triangular booms. They aren't quite as small, 1.5", as the other one but it is a good size for a 40" WS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=WoSl2QCWbzk