HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Thanks Coyote. So 10mm travel each way, same travel for elev and ail, and no additional reflex. Just follow the contour of the wing?
Yup, so full ail and elevator will give you a max of 20mm travel. Yeah no reflex, follow the contour of the wing ( so looks a little higher than the fuse edge the wing butts up too.
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VizBizTas View Post
Thanks - ok will adjust throws (is 10-15mm a good starting point). CG to far back - you mean nose heavy?

Cheers
Your CG seems too far back, promoting tip stall. Move your CG forward a bit ( more nose heavy yes ) first before dropping control throws, as you move it forward they might not need adjusting.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:23 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,202 Posts
Note also, that to recover from a flat-ish spin with the X8, push the aileron stick in the same
direction as spin, and apply full down elevator (usually forward stick). So a left hand spin, full
left aileron, full down elvator. In this scenario the only wing with any airspeed is the outside
one, so you need the elevon on that wing down as much much as possible to pitch the whole
plane nose down. Gotta be patient too.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,103 Posts
With or without throttle Ian ?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:46 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,202 Posts
Without.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,103 Posts
I tried elevators back, turn against the spin and throttle, can report it does not work But both times landed flat, no damage just the walk of shame
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Jun 2006
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstclyz View Post
I'm building an SSS for LG FPV and higher altitude flying in Colorado. It soars and floats very well and is easy on the take-off and landings (unlike my ZII). You might want to consider one if the X8 doesn't work out for you. The SSS is cheap in comparison as well. You can see my plane and build up here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post23155892
Thats a nice alternative. I am still seeking some guidance on the appropriate motor and prop combination that would be best suited for flying the X8 up to 13K. Of course, I will be on the ground not much lower than that. I would like to get a scorpion motor, but lack the experience so many of you have.

I have also seen mention of using a variable pitch prop in this thread, but haven't seen anyone pull that off with the X8 yet. It would be nice to have that feature at high altitude. Anyone working on that or have video/photos already in hand?
UncleMatt is offline Find More Posts by UncleMatt
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:03 AM
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Catapult trigger mechanism

Here is how I have used a solenoid to trigger my catapult.
Catapult firing mechanism (3 min 51 sec)
Imagecatcher is offline Find More Posts by Imagecatcher
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:06 AM
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Maiden attempt

Well I didn't get far but nutted a lot of stuff out The vid is just a bit of fun.
Maiden attempt (2 min 12 sec)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:24 AM
Finland, Pirkanmaa, Valkeakoski
Joined Sep 2012
496 Posts
Flat spin recovery

I was just watching the videos of eflite's Scimitar which has a vector-thrust system. It can do a flat spin intentionally and recover from it with the vector-thrust system.
Would a yaw-vts also be beneficial for the X8 in these situations?
Stefan_Go is offline Find More Posts by Stefan_Go
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,103 Posts
Shame it didnt work, looks to me like the launcher is way underpowered. Its not getting enough speed up to create lift in the first place. No up elevator should be needed at that angle.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:29 AM
ITALY
Joined Aug 2006
412 Posts
how many cm behind or forward the holes under the wings should i put the CG??
brifa is online now Find More Posts by brifa
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:40 AM
NSW Australia
Joined Mar 2010
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
Shame it didnt work, looks to me like the launcher is way underpowered. Its not getting enough speed up to create lift in the first place. No up elevator should be needed at that angle.
Hi coyote, i am still holding out that its not under powered. Its way stronger than my right arm! And not like its motors start after launch... Seriously think it was the chute kill switch(ing) off the motor. Tomorrow i try again.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:50 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,103 Posts
Hiya, you need at least 3x models weight at minimum but 4x is better. If you can get some scales on it you could know for sure. Looking at the footage it should travel a lot further with motor off than it is.

Edit : Just watched your catapult release video. The bungee looks way under powered, I have 10m doubled up of the 10mm bungee to get the 12kg of force required to launch my 3kg X8
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
its underpowered. no question about it...if it was right tension it would have sailed way further. 13-14kg is alot of pull, its way more than what you think it feels like
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801