HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:46 AM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Jul 2010
348 Posts
Question
servo conversion table

Does anyone know a servo conversion table, which will compare same dimension and torque servo, but different brand? I know the recommended servo, but I would like to choose them by myself. It will be time consumming to find replacement. Thanks,

Xiaoyu,
xiaoyu80305 is offline Find More Posts by xiaoyu80305
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:20 AM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyu80305 View Post
Does anyone know a servo conversion table, which will compare same dimension and torque servo, but different brand? I know the recommended servo, but I would like to choose them by myself. It will be time consumming to find replacement. Thanks,

Xiaoyu,
Check this place out
http://www.servodatabase.com/servos/all
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:27 PM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,112 Posts
or this: http://wiki.rc-network.de/index.php/Kategorie:Servos

Hans
hul is offline Find More Posts by hul
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:06 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaoyu80305 View Post
Does anyone know a servo conversion table, which will compare same dimension and torque servo, but different brand? I know the recommended servo, but I would like to choose them by myself. It will be time consumming to find replacement. Thanks, Xiaoyu,
As in posts #2 & #3 , see also the servo databases under sub section
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ." at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)

NB: Direct comparisons are difficult because manufacturers use different ways of measurement to obtain their quoted values.

1. Manufacturers quote "torque" as either Stall Torque or Holding Torque but do not disclose which on their specification sheets.
Without knowing which is which, the comparison charts are very misleading. Hitec RCD rate their servo torque as stall torque.
[Holding torque can be 2 -3 times that of the stall torque. Adjusting the speed of a digital servo via a programmer does not effect the torque.]
Servo - FAQ : Torque Tester - DIY
. The charts give no indication of motor nor gear quality.
. There is a trade off between both weight & size. Indirect drive requires more space and more gearing.
Never test a servo by pressing down on an output shaft which effects any direct drive pot to varying degrees, causing it to try and recenter or hold a position when powered on. Finger pressure can well exceed the limits of a servo,refer especially
Digital Servo Burnout... also applies to analogue servo.
2. Cheap servos invariably use cheaper motors (which cause many BEC/Brownout problems) and do not have long lasting pots.
All Hitec cored servo motors use incredibly strong Neodymium rare earth magnets, also known as “supermagnets”,.
Cheap "MG" servos with molded (compressed metal particles) alloy gears usually have a very light short lived hardening coat, not to mention the typical gear assembly of cheaper units, including some sold under rebadged "USA Brand names", for example:
Review: Corona DS 538MG servo
Please refer to:

Servo - FAQ - Which servo to buy - Peak Servo Current Test Results.
Servo - FAQ : Metal Gear Servos - Why good MG Servo have a Plastic Primary 1st Gear
Servo - FAQ : Metal Gear Servos - DIY Repair & Extend MG Servo Gear Life
Servo - Horn Arm Spline Count and Inter Brand Compatibility

In the “servo world” you generally do get what you pay for.

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:47 PM
Boulder, CO USA
Joined Jul 2010
348 Posts
In the “servo world” you generally do get what you pay for.

Alan T.[/QUOTE]

Thanks A.T. for all the information.
xiaoyu80305 is offline Find More Posts by xiaoyu80305
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:55 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,340 Posts
Quote:
Heavy Duty Servo Wire Leads

High power digital and analog servos need plenty of current to deliver massive power. Recognizing this, Hitec increased the size of the wires from 22 to 24 gauge to provide the power these servos need to perform at the highest level.
So which one is it? They increased the size of the wires making them thicker or went from 22 to 24 gauge? 24 gauge is thinner wire than 22 gauge.

This is what an ad is - marketing BS. The truth... who knows what it is?
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:05 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,057 Posts
The higher the gage number, the smaller cross sectional area of the wire. 24 gage is smaller than 22 gage.
Rodney is online now Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
So which one is it? They increased the size of the wires making them thicker or went from 22 to 24 gauge? 24 gauge is thinner wire than 22 gauge. This is what an ad is - marketing BS. The truth... who knows what it is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
The higher the gage number, the smaller cross sectional area of the wire. 24 gage is smaller than 22 gage.
Typo, probably reversed when translated but a good pick up.. Hitec servo use 24 & 22 guage for servo leads.

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:54 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
I haven't been in the hobby long enough to wear out any servos. My most used plane only has about 70 flights on it. However, I can say that I've used Hitec servos mostly and have had as many failures per capita as I have with cheaper brands. Admittedly I haven't used digital servos but do use metal gear servos most of the time.

If the issue is longevity then one would really need to have more information to make an informed decision. I don't know whether the Hitec will last 3 or 4 times longer since they have a 3 or 4 times higher sellng price. If the issue is reliability, I haven't found the cheaper servos to be less reliable.

My guess is that the claim of superior materials in the Hitec should account for a higher price but not a 3 or 4 times higher price. I think the major difference is in advertising, general overhead etc. etc.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw