to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:09 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
I have a Polaris Ultra with the stock motor and Master Airscrew 3 blade 8x6 prop running on 3S 3000mah batteries.

I would like more speed off the water and wondered what the hot setup is for Motor, ESC, and Prop.
I started asking the same questions almost as soon as I got mine. I didn't like the idea of using a 4S battery because I already had a bunch of 3S batteries. I finally settled on a setup that would fly with a 3S 2200 30C battery all the way forward in the nose of the canopy area and give me 3 minutes of WOT excitement.

I use the HK NTM Propdrive Series 35-36-1800 motor:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=26486

You will need a 60 amp ESC but you can use your same prop and battery. The best news is that your 3S battery will now sit up under the canopy where it belongs.

I flew my Ultra at SEFF the past two years with this setup and it was the fastest of any other Polaris type planes there. It was faster than the Skippers or even Mark's Polaris and had much better vertical performance. It was the only one I saw that could take off and climb straight up. Mine is on the far left in the picture.

Enjoy!

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Oct 19, 2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 01:33 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,497 Posts
Quote:
I have a Polaris Ultra with the stock motor and Master Airscrew 3 blade 8x6 prop running on 3S 3000mah batteries.

I would like more speed off the water and wondered what the hot setup is for Motor, ESC, and Prop.
Just stay with the same motor but substitute a two blade 8x4 APC prop and use a 4s battery. That's what I use when I feel a need for speed. Note the need to reduce the prop or you will overload the motor and ESC.

Caution. It will be much faster and you will have to take precautions to avoid control surface flutter. No slop in the linkages is allowed. I lost an aileron when I first flew with this setup and ended up reattaching the ailerons with pin-type hinges. I also beefed up the control horn mounting.

EDIT
Or go to a bigger, relatively high KV motor and suitable ESC and use 3s, as suggested above. Note that the higher current will then require high-C and/or larger battery. You can't get away with 2200 25C, for example. I would not use less than about 3000 30C or 2500 35C for such a setup. The good thing is that the Ultra is big enough to carry a large battery comfortably. You may need to cut out the back of the battery slot to get balance correct.

Either 3s or 4s can work well as long as you make the necessary changes in each case.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Oct 20, 2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 08:38 PM
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Dec 2011
439 Posts
The first two Polari are ready for their maiden flights (hopefully) in the morning.. After they have proven worthy, the rest of the decals and paint will go on... The white one is a kit, the blue one is a parallel build...
ggrimley is offline Find More Posts by ggrimley
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:15 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley View Post
The first two Polari are ready for their maiden flights (hopefully) in the morning.. After they have proven worthy, the rest of the decals and paint will go on... The white one is a kit, the blue one is a parallel build...
Two nice looking birds! Good Luck on the maidens!!
NewZee is online now Find More Posts by NewZee
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:04 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrimley View Post
Good luck ggrimley. Just be careful on the maidens with no color on the planes for visual orientation!

Scott
Model Aero is online now Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:20 AM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
Good luck ggrimley. Just be careful on the maidens with no color on the planes for visual orientation!
And double check the elevator to make sure it's not reversed!!
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:16 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,497 Posts
Models look very good. Props look quite large. Are you using lower KV motor? Usual is 2200 kv with 6x4 APC prop.

Building two in parallel is a very good idea.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 04:17 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,558 Posts
Quote:

Master Airscrew props are really flexible and I have done some testing on them for thrust and amp draw. I would try a DIFFERENT 8x6 prop. Personally, I would try an APC 8x6E and see what you get. I was finding more thrust and less amp draw on a different plane with those two props. I find the MA deform under load
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Off to HHAEFI we go!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:06 PM
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Dec 2011
439 Posts
@ttabbal... How about the ailerons, do they matter???. The Blue core Polaris had it's maiden with the ailerons reversed... fortunately he flew straight until he was three mistakes high, then tried to turn left, but rolled right, Twice!!!, but still had time to level out and land. here is the video.
Blue Polaris first flight (2 min 46 sec)

The white (from the kit) flew fine on its first flight, but the second was shortened by pilot error.. ended with broken tail... Here is that video..

Pilot error (0 min 26 sec)

Here is the pic.
ggrimley is offline Find More Posts by ggrimley
Last edited by ggrimley; Oct 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM. Reason: fix links
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:34 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,200 Posts
Yikes! It's amazing how much better things fly when the control surfaces move the right way!

Sounds like you didn't do too bad. My elevator caused mine to need a nose job and tail repairs. Fixed and got 2 good flights down now. Live and learn.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Yesterday, 01:16 AM
watch your head
Germany, MV, Wismar
Joined Jun 2014
20 Posts
Seem that everyone has to learn that lesson more than once xD

Allways check everything before starting a modell after changing even just a bit.

lost a few planes that way.

nice ploari
van3st is offline Find More Posts by van3st
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Master Airscrew props are really flexible and I have done some testing on them for thrust and amp draw. I would try a DIFFERENT 8x6 prop. Personally, I would try an APC 8x6E and see what you get. I was finding more thrust and less amp draw on a different plane with those two props. I find the MA deform under load
I don't deny that the APC props are more efficient, but the key point is that the three blade 8x6 Master Airscrew props offer a level of thrust for a given KV that can't be reached by any two blade 8" prop. Yes, less amp draw for the two blade, but considerably less thrust too.

I did extensive testing of motors and props for both the Polaris XL and the Ultra. One thing I learned is that static testing doesn't give much in the way of useful results. All mine was done in the air using an Eagletree data logger.

The very best prop for performance on a 3s battery with a motor around 1500 KV was a Master Airscrew three blade 9x7 cut down to 8" diameter.

On the other hand, for a little less speed and climb but significantly less current draw and thus longer flights, the APC 8x6 two blade is clearly superior. But you can get most of the same benefit by just throttling back with the three blader.

Bottom line. I fly my Ultra on 3s mainly with the cut down three blade 9x7. But the APC 8x6E is a perfectly good alternative.