HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:30 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,089 Posts
Whoops Lenny, sorry to see your little accident mate, hope you will have it back in the air real soon

Lockey

PS. like the new look forum
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Feb 02, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Lenny I prefer to see the before version in the left picture.... Sorry to see that damage, but don't get discouraged and keep going!
Wormboy Nick & Marv & Lockey,,
Thanks for the encouragement and support
It makes ya feel better when I know I will get this baby going..
The take off was all warm fuzzys just no words can describe how cool it looked
till I lost it but will and did tonight spend more time on my FMS to get more confidents..
I flew my Seadart like crazy this summer of the boat and was much better out come..
It hanging here in the garage waiting for another goooooooo..
Tomorrow REPLACEMENT,,,, on the nose and start making it look good again for many more tries..
It's cool we really love that huck of Polaris foam any why ya look at it..
What a GREAT aircraft..
OH, By the way Larry Ross is doing WELL,,,
we Skyped tonite for a time to catch up on thing,,Yep
AERO--PLANES
Thanks to all.
Later,
Lenny
lennyboy is offline Find More Posts by lennyboy
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:55 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Lenny, let me give you a little tip, I've done a couple nose jobs.!

when you cut the new stuff, make it longer than you need it toward the back, cut the side fuse pieces long enough to use 3 or 4 inches ( or more) of the main wing slot (even though you are going to cut that part off of the new pieces later). This alligns the nose section perfectly in line with the rest of the existing plane.

Cut the fuse somewhat straight where you are going to join the new pieces first, then slide the new ones on over the wing, pressing it onto the old fuse straight cut, then trace a perfect matching trace/cut line on the new piece one side at a time. Makes a really good fit.!

If you already knew this, maybe someone else reading this didnt.

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Lenny, let me give you a little tip, I've done a couple nose jobs.!

when you cut the new stuff, make it longer than you need it toward the back, cut the side fuse pieces long enough to use 3 or 4 inches ( or more) of the main wing slot (even though you are going to cut that part off of the new pieces later). This alligns the nose section perfectly in line with the rest of the existing plane.

Cut the fuse somewhat straight where you are going to join the new pieces first, then slide the new ones on over the wing, pressing it onto the old fuse straight cut, then trace a perfect matching trace/cut line on the new piece one side at a time. Makes a really good fit.!

If you already knew this, maybe someone else reading this didnt.

Pat
Pat,
I like your idea ,,my nose was a little off to begin with and that will true up the whole body,,
Thanks tons man ...
Really feel good about the whole repair at this point..
Bet it will even fly better ...
NOT,,I will fly better..lol
Thanks pal,,
Later,
Lenny
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:52 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,497 Posts
Just to add to Wheelspinner's comment about nose jobs. I too have some experience in this field! I splice the fuselage sides first, pretty much as described, just leaving them sticking straight forward. Then I splice in a new or repaired battery tray. If I do this carefully, I now have a nice straight nose and it's much easier to work on the glue joints and add the nose bulkhead, than if I pull the sides together first and then try to fit the bottom and battery tray after.

Of course different breaks may need different techniques. But Depron is remarkably easy to work with in this kind of situation.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:06 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,497 Posts
Flying in/on the snow

The reason for the ambiguous title is that lately the snow has been extremely icy, which doesn't make for enjoyable flying. The weather has been pretty poor for flying ever since Christmas, and I've only had three flights in 2012.

You'll see what I'm talking about towards the end of this one.

This was a test of my gunsight aiming system for the hatcam. That's a fancy name for a wire with a loop on the end that enables me to aim the camera by looking with my right eye through the loop.

Last time I tried it, I got so obsessed with aiming the camera that I flew the Polaris into a tree. I still haven't repaired the damage incurred while retrieving it with a long pole, but it wasn't too serious.

This is my old original Polaris, now going into its fourth season. Much repaired and slightly heavier than in its prime, but it still flies almost as well as ever. The "almost" part is because with all the repairs (mostly a result of radio issues) the model is no longer true and needs both aileron and rudder offset to fly straight. Consequently, it doesn't track quite right through loops, etc. But it's still a pleasure to fly.

The radio in this case is a Turnigy 9x transmitter with FrSky telemetry module and a D6FR receiver. I haven't yet heard any sign of weak signal from the telemetry warning system. I upgraded the firmware in the transmitter to the wonderfully flexible ER9x programming system.

Hoping for some nice soft new snow to cover the hard and slippery ice crust. New soft, cold snow is the next best thing to water for enjoyable touch-and -goes.

Polaris 1 2012-01-26 (3 min 22 sec)
Last edited by Daedalus66; Feb 03, 2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:37 PM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
This was a test of my gunsight aiming system for the hatcam. That's a fancy name for a wire with a loop on the end that enables me to aim the camera by looking with my right eye through the loop.
Looks like you've got the hatcam sorted, she was pretty well centred most of the time.

Just watch out for the trees.. or we'll start calling you George of the Jungle
Wormboy is online now Find More Posts by Wormboy
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:58 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,089 Posts
I have a #16 cam on its way from Hong Kong, can't wait to try it out .. on hat and on plane

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:57 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,089 Posts
Here are my preliminary drawings for my “Seawind” when I progress I will start a new tread on this

This is my first go at Sketchup after taking the course last week

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:33 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,698 Posts
Great start Lockey. How big will it be?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:57 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,089 Posts
Quote:

Glen
Thanks Glen, its 1m wingspan, hopefully will run on the same gear (motor etc) as the Polaris

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post

Glen
Hey Glenn them aussie's use meteric so I'll ask ??
Hey Lockey is that a 36" inch...on legal size TILED paper>>>
Just had to say it Lockey..
I had Sketchem on my confusser and didn't have enough Mem on the old hard drive to run it...
But now I do I should load that baby up again and just maybe I can figure how to Tile the drawings..Or draw the tiles in??
Larry Ross is a pro at it and has helped alot of guys in the past..
He is building a really cool looking Polaris with a little flair or should I say Scatch he came up with ,,,,
and will soon to come I think..
He has done the Twins cargo,Skycarts , F-14 , jesz you name it he's drawn it I think..
He is the sketch'em god..
It's a great direction and program to go with Lockey .....
Thanks Dadelus 66 for more info on my little repair job
Once I get a pulse going this morning,
MORE COFFEE,,,
I"M gonna dig into it...
Greatly appricated..
Later,
Lenny
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:36 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
The reason for the ambiguous title is that lately the snow has been extremely icy, which doesn't make for enjoyable flying. The weather has been pretty poor for flying ever since Christmas, and I've only had three flights in 2012.

You'll see what I'm talking about towards the end of this one.

Last time I tried it, I got so obsessed with aiming the camera that I flew the Polaris into a tree. I still haven't repaired the damage incurred while retrieving it with a long pole, but it wasn't too serious.

This is my old original Polaris, now going into its fourth season. Much repaired and slightly heavier than in its prime, but it still flies almost as well as ever. The "almost" part is because with all the repairs (mostly a result of radio issues) the model is no longer true and needs both aileron and rudder offset to fly straight. Consequently, it doesn't track quite right through loops, etc. But it's still a pleasure to fly.

The radio in this case is a Turnigy 9x transmitter with FrSky telemetry module and a D6FR receiver. I haven't yet heard and sign of weak signal from the warning system. I upgraded the firmware in the transmitter to the wonderfully flexible ER9x system.

Hoping for some nice soft new snow to cover the hard and slippery ice crust. New soft, cold snow is the next best thing to water for enjoyable touch-and -
goes.

http://vimeo.com/36124108
I hope you don't mind Daedalus look what I found on Utube,,
Just had to share,,looks like infred problems??
But the name???Hummmmmm are you related???
Great little NURF tecto- toy Huh???
Lenny

CrazyFlie flight (3 min 0 sec)
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:00 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyboy View Post
I hope you don't mind Daedalus look what I found on Utube,,
Just had to share,,looks like infred problems??
But the name???Hummmmmm are you related???
Great little NURF tecto- toy Huh???
Lenny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRuWf...b0RVAAAAAAAACg
No relation to me. That's a bunch of employees of a Swedish firm (Epsilon in Malmo) doing stuff in their own time. Looks like they are better designers than pilots!
The Daedalus name is an obvious one for anyone who likes to make flying things. Daedalus was the smart old guy who made wings for himself and his son Icarus to escape from Crete, where King Minos had them imprisoned. Of course, young Icarus got carried away, flew too high and let the sun melt the wax that attached the feathers, so fell into the sea. There have been quite a few models called Icarus, but I don't like to be associated with crashes!

Neat little gadget. I gather they are going to sell them or make them available somehow.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:05 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
Thanks Glen, its 1m wingspan, hopefully will run on the same gear (motor etc) as the Polaris

Lockey
It sounds great. I'll be watching with great interest.

Here's the data on the Electrifly RTF model, which flies well. It's the same size as yours, so gives a target for the weight.

Wingspan: 39.5 in (1005 mm)
Wing Area: 234 in² (15.1 dm²)
Weight: 24-26 oz (680-735 g)
Wing Loading: 14.8-16.0 oz/ft² (45-49 g/dm²)
Length: 33.5 in (845 mm)

Here's the data on the motor used in the Electrifly Seawind. At 54g it's just slightly bigger than the usual Polaris 2212-6. Notice that it has much lower KV (950) than the Polaris motor (2200). This suggests that the model uses a larger, slower turning prop, such as the 8x6 mentioned below (compared to 6x4 for Polaris). I would expect the 2212-6 to do the job, but a 2212-10 (KV 1450) might be more efficient, turning say an 8x4. That would allow you to use a smaller, lighter battery of about 1500-1800 mAh.

Rimfire 400 28-30-950
Motor Diameter: 1.1" (28mm)
kV Rating: 950 rpm/V
Weight: 1.91oz (54g)
Input Voltage: 7.4-11.1V (2-3S LiPo)
Max. Constant Current: 14A
Max Surge Current: 20A
Max Constant Watts: 155W
Burst Watts: 220
Suggested Prop Sizes: 8x6
Last edited by Daedalus66; Feb 03, 2012 at 08:14 AM.