Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:16 PM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
925 Posts
Question
Are My Batteries Too Light?

Hey everyone.

I have a Tower Hobbies Power Vee. I know it's not the greatest boat in the world, but it works for me and I really like it.

I have recently moved to 2s LiPo packs on it, along with a low voltage alarm. The electronics in the boat run at really good temperatures with this setup, and it's noticeably more peppy than on the 6 cell NiMH I had been running it on.

Here's the question I have.

After moving to the 2500mah 2s soft sided LiPo pack, I noticed that the boat seemed to, for lack of a better set of words, get it's front "hung up" on the water. I would give it throttle, and it wouldn't plane up. If I let off the throttle, then gave it again, it would usually come up onto plane.

These 2500mah packs are a LOT lighter than the six cell NiMH I was using in the boat.

Is it possible that I now don't really have enough weight in the back end for the boat to get on plane like it's supposed to??

I have a couple of 5000mah 2s packs that I could try that are heavier than these 2500mah packs, and I was planning on trying them. The only reason I didn't use them in the first place was I was a bit worried about going to 2s on the electronics with the 5000mah battery might cause too much heat with the longer run times. I suppose I could always set a timer and run for the same amount of time that I was running on the 2500mah packs, then let the boat cool for a bit before running it again.

But anyways...I'm getting away from my question. Is it possible for the boat to not get on plane if the weight in the back is significantly less than what the boat was designed for?

Thanks!
Jeff
Gimpdiggity is offline Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2013, 03:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
74 Posts
You can add some weight (lead) or an unconnected battery to test.
Most probably the prop is not enough in the water.
Regards
paultbg is offline Find More Posts by paultbg
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:25 AM
Joined May 2012
313 Posts
When you changed to lipo it probably put the CG in the wrong spot.
Adjust the battery position so the boat balances 27- 30% of it total length forwards from the transom.
eg for a 30" boat 30" x .3 = 9
so the balance point would be 9" from the transom.
Sibe is online now Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:46 AM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
925 Posts
Thanks guys, I will try to move the battery back a bit more, or compensate by adding a bit of weight along with the battery.
Gimpdiggity is offline Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity