Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:11 PM
Costa Rica, San Jose, San Pedro
Joined Dec 2004
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbobby View Post
The 555MG.
I knew there was a fourth one
Yep I don't have any of those since they seem pushing the envelope a bit too much, and in that category of flat, metal gears and plastic case I have a bunch of HS125MG's.

Those seem to have mixed reviews some of the bad ones are in German (no idea what the complaints are but I saw some complaints of jittering, so when that happens I normally spend few extra bucks and go for the next one up, which still half the price of the ones they are based on (I can't be more polite to say cloned)
ferincr is online now Find More Posts by ferincr
Last edited by ferincr; Oct 29, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:50 PM
Pilot Mike
United States, NM, Moriarty
Joined Oct 2009
150 Posts
My experience with spending more money on servos is that it doesn't amount to higher performance. Save the money and put it towards another model.

I've started out with JR DS378's and had one burn out on the 5th flight resulting in a stuck flap. They are $70 servos.... Another complaint I have about them is the slop in the gearbox, pretty unacceptable for $70. Then I've used the Hi-tecs HS125MG, no major complaints other than low resolution and I've read some scary things about them. So I wouldn't recommend them.

The latest batch of servos I've used are the Hyperion DS095's, not much slop in the gearbox but I can push them pretty far in either direction before they build up enough torque to fight back. Not sure whats going on there but at least they only cost $30. Another pro with them is if I happen to botch the install (not centered properly) I can reprogram the center. MAJOR PRO, this feature isn't standard and I think its what makes me want to recommend them.

In summary, don't look at price, its meaningless. See what others say about them and give them a go. If they take out one of your models don't buy them again. Its the name of the game. Personally I would recommend checking out Hyperions line of servos. They're pretty alright and reasonably priced.
Lost Oracle is offline Find More Posts by Lost Oracle
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
671 Posts
I'm some what on the fence on the cheap servo. Yes, you may have good luck with them, but then you may not. I've had both JR, Hitec and ATX servos start to "go bad". Key word in that sentence "start".

The JR's got sloppy or wouldn't center, DS368's and DS168's. Plus they buzzed all the time, drove me nuts! I've not used many of the new digital Hitec's, but the analog ones became sloppy very quickly. Thus they were worthless after a very shortime.

Here recently I've had two of my current favorite servo fail, the ATX 94761. These started to double center. Granted they were in a used airframe that I do not know what trials or air time it has been through (bought third hand from a club member).

But, if you are comfortable trusting a $2K airplane to a low dollar servo, be my guest. All of the servos I mentioned below did not fail in flight and I was able to discover the problem before the loss of a significant investment. YMMV!
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:48 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
It is a difficult decision, you don't know whether a high-ish price is due to quality, or just pure marketing. What is clear is that there is a bit of a revolution happening in RC servos: they are getting a lot better and cheaper at the same time. It's all good news, as long as we can separate the wheat from the chaff!

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:56 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,949 Posts
Hi Chris,

You have a really valid point with the statement of modern servos getting better and cheaper. My first experiences with proportional servos was back when you had the option of buying a built servo or assembling the servo from an electronics kit, such as Heathkit, OS Max, Ace RC, EK Logitrol, Royal and others. You truly got good at servicing a servo, with changing gears, cleaning the potentiometers, replacing the wipers, reversing the direction by wire, and fixing cracked cases. About the most the common thing a modeler does now is change the gears as most of the rest of the servo is either pretty bulletproof or it gets fried.

Today, the variety and number of available servos is simply mind boggling. There used to be lists of servos that guys would publish, showing the size, torque, speed, power draw and stuff. Now, those lists are hard to find because it's a chore to try and update them almost every week as somebody is always coming out with a new servo. But there is no doubt, as servos have become better, they have gotten cheaper, in general.

Along with all this, there will be servo failures. It doesn't matter if they are cheap or expensive, they are electro-mechanical devices that can and will fail, eventually. It's simply a matter of time. We buy the more expensive ones for their overall quality with the hopes that the higher quality levels equate to longevity and reliability. Most of the time, those decisions are in the right direction. There will always be an exception. Every so often, a line of servos comes along that is outstanding and economical. I think Hitec and MKS has done just that. I, personally, prefer the JR servos as I started using them in my days flying pattern...they were better than the Futaba ones of the day, but I used the Futaba transmitter. As a result, I have used the JR servos for better than 25 years and I fly their transmitters today. Have I had a servo failure? Yes, but there isn't a single make of servo that I have owned that has not suffered a failure. No matter the care, the pre-cautions I take, the maintenance I perform, or the replacements I make, there has been nothing that will prevent an unexpected servo failure, but by doing the maintenance, the pre-cautions and care, I have significantly reduced the number of failures to the point that I rarely suffer a failure today.

So, I will say that buying a more expensive brand is to buy a higher level of reliability, quality, and performance with more consistent results. There is definitely junk servos to be had and if you buy them, you simply increase the risk of failure, in most cases. I used the think the Diamond D-47 wasn't much of a servo...until the DLG guys convinced me otherwise. It was cheap, and it does perform. There's the exception. But in separating the wheat from the chaff, posting your experiences on the RCG is one great way to find and give info on your servo experiences.

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:13 AM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,726 Posts
The other thing to consider is support. If your JR or Airtronics servo does break you can get it replaced or serviced. Not so much with the cheapies. Maybe we are getting into a disposable commodity mind set with the hobby.

I just sent back a bunch of servos I got from customers for service. Sent them to Airtronics and had them back in a week. All I paid for was shipping.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:24 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,132 Posts
Yes, one of the things I fear is that the Walmart/Hobby King mentality is going to become so pervasive that the big vendors are going to say they're done with getting their hard-won designs ripped off by China and sold as equivalent options rather than the crappy rip-off's they are using substandard components.

I will purchase name-brand as long as I can in order to help them pay for the support infrastructure that we are so fortunate to experience along with the research and development processes that result in quality products.

YMMV.

Never give up, never surrender.

tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:09 PM
mostly gliders
Skellefteċ, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Yes, one of the things I fear is that the Walmart/Hobby King mentality is going to become so pervasive that the big vendors are going to say they're done with getting their hard-won designs ripped off by China and sold as equivalent options rather than the crappy rip-off's they are using substandard components.

I will purchase name-brand as long as I can in order to help them pay for the support infrastructure that we are so fortunate to experience along with the research and development processes that result in quality products.

YMMV.

Never give up, never surrender.

Well said tkallev, but it's not so easy to know who is the real inventor of a servo concept. There certainly must be some "cheap" manufacturer who invents almost the same as "the expensive brand manufacturer" without knowing it and without stealing or copying anything. We must also keep in mind that beginners do not know anything they might want to know.
I use Multiplex transmitters, but not their servos because I think their range is too small and in many cases to poor quality. I really have no idea who produces Hyperion Atlas servos that I now use extensively. Is it a "cheap" manufacturer or? I like their selection and quality is good enough for my requirements. Could list more brands from independent producers, but you might understand what I mean, anyway?
When or why does a "cheap" servo producer become a recognized brand name?

/Ville
liukku is offline Find More Posts by liukku
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,726 Posts
Hyperion has quality products. Certainly not in the same price or quality bracket as Turnigy et al.

Back a few years ago one of my suppliers had Tower Pro 9 gram servos as a cheaper alternative to the Hitec HS 55. My price was about $6.00 a servo. Then as time went on and the market was getting more and more flooded with these cheap blue servos with many different companies names on them you saw people retailing them for $1.99 per servo. What were the dealers supposed to do with their stock of servos that they bought for $6.00? Loose their shirt of course. People think there is a big profit to be made selling this stuff. If you make 10% you are doing great. Figure out what 10% of $1.99 is. How many do you need to sell to make your time worthwhile?

Moral here is...If the makers of the products do not care enough about their retail outlets for the outlets to survive and only care about how many units they sold worldwide while making pennies in profit then I as a dealer will not sell that crap. I do a service for two parties. I represent the manufacturers to the best of my ability with advertising and customer support. I also support the customer by being here with support and products you can trust. If you want to buy cheap that is your prerogative. I wish you well getting support from Mr. Turnigy or the King of Hobbies. If you want good products and good service...Contact me.

Mark Miller
www.isthmusmodels.com
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:22 PM
United States, KS, De Soto
Joined Aug 2004
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark miller View Post
hyperion has quality products. Certainly not in the same price or quality bracket as turnigy et al.

Back a few years ago one of my suppliers had tower pro 9 gram servos as a cheaper alternative to the hitec hs 55. My price was about $6.00 a servo. Then as time went on and the market was getting more and more flooded with these cheap blue servos with many different companies names on them you saw people retailing them for $1.99 per servo. What were the dealers supposed to do with their stock of servos that they bought for $6.00? Loose their shirt of course. People think there is a big profit to be made selling this stuff. If you make 10% you are doing great. Figure out what 10% of $1.99 is. How many do you need to sell to make your time worthwhile?

Moral here is...if the makers of the products do not care enough about their retail outlets for the outlets to survive and only care about how many units they sold worldwide while making pennies in profit then i as a dealer will not sell that crap. I do a service for two parties. I represent the manufacturers to the best of my ability with advertising and customer support. I also support the customer by being here with support and products you can trust. If you want to buy cheap that is your prerogative. I wish you well getting support from mr. Turnigy or the king of hobbies. If you want good products and good service...contact me.

Mark miller
www.isthmusmodels.com

+1 !!!!
jfrickie is offline Find More Posts by jfrickie
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:23 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,643 Posts
Most of us have no way of knowing whether some particular cheap servo is as good or better than its top of the line equivalent. I do know that I will feel a hell of lot worse planting a Maxa as a result of a cheap servo failure than I would if I did my best to equip it with the best stuff I could find. Maybe not logical. But it works for me.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban