HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:52 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Discussion
A car driving by threw stuff at me while flying during the night???

Okay so today was my fourth time doing some night flying with my bixler. I fly on the soy field right next to my neighborhood and I was flying about 20 feet from the road on the soy field.
I've seen bunch of cars slowing down trying to figure out what that flying this is but not this one.
I saw it turn from another neighborhood to the road and start driving towards me. Nothing wrong with this. It was going about 40mph when I was thrown something wet and yelled some not too nice things. I first thought it was a rotten egg because it stank so bad but after landing the plane and investigating my shirt and neck, I'm pretty sure its some biscuits and gravy. Never had any that smelled so bad though

Should I fly somewhere else or farther from the road? I'm pretty sure that the person who threw the stuff at me was just jealous and this won't happen again :P

Thoughts on this? I was highly upset that I had no way of getting the license plate nor even identify what car it was. Did I do something wrong flying next to the road? I never flew above it
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Ignore them. Just a bunch of dumbs.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:57 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
I actually wasn't pissed at all. I was like Oh well, nothing I can do. Actually prayed for those guys
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Id pray for their poor mothers haha
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
I was called a bastard night flying. Idiots were driving around looking for the UFO....
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:15 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,436 Posts
Most likely some kids out for some "fun" that's not so much fun for anyone but them. It's sad when you can't enjoy doing something you love without someone trying to ruin it for you.

I say ignore the waste of life that threw something at you and keep looking to the sky.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthetire View Post
I was called a bastard night flying. Idiots were driving around looking for the UFO....
A car once stopped by and asked what the thing flying was. My bro told them its an rc plane, so wished he would have said UFO lol
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthetire View Post
I'm sorry to spout profanity but that's pretty damn ridiculous. If they think its a UFO thats their own fault, not yours.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:16 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Perhaps you should either fly farther away from the road or at another location, because it could be claimed that what you are doing is a traffic distraction, so it's best to be as low key as possible and attract a minimum of attention to your activities, not that you are doing anything wrong but it's better to be prudent.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:19 PM
Koo
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Perhaps you should either fly farther away from the road or at another location, because it could be claimed that what you are doing is a traffic distraction, so it's best to be as low key as possible and attract a minimum of attention to your activities, not that you are doing anything wrong but it's better to be prudent.
Maybe. Its just really convenient for me to walk 30 secs to the field and fly. I am pretty sure I saw a cop car drive past me at one point and it didn't even slow down so I don't think that there are any other problems than ignorant kids.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:58 PM
Arizona Fun
Casa Grande Arizona
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koo29 View Post
I actually wasn't pissed at all. I was like Oh well, nothing I can do. Actually prayed for those guys
Praying for them was perfect! they need that the most, I commend you. Just before sunset I sometimes fly off the street in front of my house and people love it, neighbors come out, people driving honk and give thumbs up, sometimes they lose sight of the plane and I come in behind them 50ft over their roof and they see it and hit the gas trying to 'race' me and catch up, it's great fun for all. Some pull over and watch for a while. The only thing that ever concerned me was if a driver got distracted watching my plane and had an accident I might risk being liable but I doubt an auto insurance company would go after a model airplane guy and just pay the claim. I've never seen any driver seem distracted though. I'll bet what you experienced was an isolated incident not likely to happen again, probably kids that need to mature some yet. Again, bravo on praying for them, sowing love where there is hatred. Happy night flying to you...
ArizonaFun is offline Find More Posts by ArizonaFun
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:35 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
A .30-06 on your back with a floodlight aimed at it for effect will usually prevent most people from throwing most things at you
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:40 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
I bet those guys were slightly drunk, spent a few minutes freaking out thinking they saw a UFO, and then getting mad at you cause they think you're just a low-life hoaxer trying to make it into the news.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:50 AM
Cromer,Norfolk, UK
Joined Nov 2006
2,505 Posts
20ft from the road is a bit close IMHO, if I were driving at night and had a bright flashing object flying about in my vision, I'd be a bit cheesed off. Wouldn't throw stuff, but Doubletap is right on this one, if said person then made a claim that he'd damaged his car due to being distracted, or reported your flying as a problem and causing a distraction, then you'd be in line for criticism I think. Would you go stand 20ft from a road and shine a flashlight in the face of oncoming vehicles? Thats pretty much how it would seem to the drivers, they don't care that its "convenient for you" or that it might be safe, in control, whatever. They just know there's a bunch of light putting them off.

I agree there's nothing terribly wrong with what you're doing, but why put your head above the parapet if you have an alternative? Last thing you want is the landowner getting complaints, and you being "chucked off" the field. I assume you have permission from the landowner?
MCarlton is offline Find More Posts by MCarlton
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:25 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,393 Posts
Are you sure it was a car, and not a low flying alien space craft ?

Those aliens can get pretty crotchety about other people stealing their fun, ....lights in the sky at night.

Next time it may not be the waste disposal they drop on you.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray