HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:28 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
Have not looked inside but on one of the Skyhobbies video mentions that it does and I've always thought that would be a good place for improvement on fbl gyros ( internal vib suppression ).I though the supplyed tape looked to thick and soft but if that's what there using?I may try several type and check it with the software vib analysis to see what works best.I think I want a longer USB cord before I spool up my heli( like 20 feet)!
Steve
Don't bother using the included double sided tape. Its too soft and will cause the gyro to jiggle a little which will cause the cyclic servos to react.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:11 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Don't bother using the included double sided tape. Its too soft and will cause the gyro to jiggle a little which will cause the cyclic servos to react.
Really, what would you recommend.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jul 07, 2012, 06:00 AM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
375 Posts
I recommend the 3M 4010.
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:48 AM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,082 Posts
Did anyone notice with vib analyze if the USB cord causes false reading from the socket, trying to be consistent while testing but it varies depending on the cord tension?
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:57 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,503 Posts
Well if you are pulling on the board, of course the readings are going to be altered. The cord should just rest there.

Kev
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:12 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,082 Posts
Something else I found interesting,with the cx3x1000 after 5 min flight my battery would be at 11.3,now it rest at 11.6 consistently.I think the Robird is much more efficient , even while bench testing the Cx would run my battery down quicker!
Steve
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Really, what would you recommend.
I use both the 3M thin double sided tape from Radio Shack or the clear double sided tape from the the local hobby shop. I is made by team Losi IIRC..its clear like the one IFHELI linked.

Quote:
Did anyone notice with vib analyze if the USB cord causes false reading from the socket, trying to be consistent while testing but it varies depending on the cord tension?
Steve
Best way to use the vibration analyze function is to download the log after a flight so the usb cable will not have an effect.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:57 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,082 Posts
Tested three gyro mounting tape, the stock tape, Lynx gel tape and 3m4010.The vibra analysis is pretty handy( how does it calculate head speed?).The stock tape tested the worst( peaks over 275 on main, tail barely registers about 0 to 5),the lynx gel tape tested better but needed to be strapped down tight to prevent feed back cyclic shake( it tested below 200 on main and tail almost zero after being strapped tight),the 3m 4010 tested below 100 with a few peaks to 150 on main and almost zero on tail.Conclusion:gel tapes wiggle to much, stock tape will work but not ideal, 3m tape :cheap and avaiable and so far works the best.I have some zyx tape coming to test in a few weeks.The 3m feels like it will be hard to remove, very secure.
Steve
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Apr 2010
375 Posts
I use an x-actor knife to cut thru 3M 4010 to seperate gryo from Heli. Then the stuff is easily removed from heli and gyro.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:22 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Has anyone compared the 3m 4607 tape? It isn't clear but is rated for about 2x the strength. I'm thinking it would be firmer. I'll mail some to you if you could compare (vib test).

Ken
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:44 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,082 Posts
I think that one is really thin but worth trying, probably need an exacto knife on that one as well.What kind of numbers are you guys getting on vibra analysis for main and tail, just curious what a average might be and what numbers would be unusable for main and tail.My test where done at 3100 to 3000 headspeed and as the battery depleted the vibs went up( using a align Dfc head on a Beam e4 never crashed ).
Steve
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Apr 2010
375 Posts
Since going with Radix CF tail blades my tail doesn`t even show any vibs. My main rotor vibs. have gone up some but still low. At one time after switching to Rave FBL head the vibs. were extremely low( below 100 ). As for now mine usually stay in the 100 to 250 range on main rotor. I will be pulling my main rotor off soon. Along with pulling head off and balancing, I will also look at the gearing and motor. I would say as long as it is in the dark green range(0 - 250) you are OK. I would like mine to stay under 100.

My modified MT325 is gov. at 2900 HS.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:04 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
Quote:
Tested three gyro mounting tape, the stock tape, Lynx gel tape and 3m4010.The vibra analysis is pretty handy( how does it calculate head speed?).The stock tape tested the worst( peaks over 275 on main, tail barely registers about 0 to 5),the lynx gel tape tested better but needed to be strapped down tight to prevent feed back cyclic shake( it tested below 200 on main and tail almost zero after being strapped tight),the 3m 4010 tested below 100 with a few peaks to 150 on main and almost zero on tail.Conclusion:gel tapes wiggle to much, stock tape will work but not ideal, 3m tape :cheap and avaiable and so far works the best.I have some zyx tape coming to test in a few weeks.The 3m feels like it will be hard to remove, very secure.
Steve
Thanks for doing this, Steve. Certainly interesting to see the results. I've used the 4010 in the past, with good results, as well. It holds well, but once you can separate it, it does come off easily by rolling it off with your thumb. I switched to the ZYX tape only because I felt the 4010 was a little too firm.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:05 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,082 Posts
I made a YouTube video with the Robird in my Beam on a windy slope !Nothing fancy but it does show how stable it is in winds over 30 mph!Not sure how to link the video from my IPhone.Tags: Stevekauai, Robird
Did another video with the Cx on a BlackAngel in 30 to 40 mph ( not on YouTube) but anyone wants a clip of that p.m. me and I will send , it really shows the disc stability of the Robird when you compare the two videos, also the Robird was doing most of the work.
Steve
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:21 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Sorry to go OT....was looking to see your Robird wind vid and found this Robird instead...I didn't know such a thing existed! Or was technologically possible!

Robird artificial peregrine falcon in strong wind (6Bft) (4 min 56 sec)
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.