HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:37 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
815 Posts
Discussion
Different Type of Lipo Construction?

I recently needed to dispose of a worn-out Zippy lipo. As per my usual protocol, my first step was to puncture the lipo inside a metal container to let the fluid inside leak out. In the past, this was sometimes a rather exciting experience, because one never knows how much "activity" will be produced from doing this. However, THIS time, when I punctured the cell, NOTHING leaked out. Curious, I proceeded to further cut away at the cell, and inside I found what appeared to be a stack of copper-like paper-thin plates individually coated with a black substance, and separated from adjoining plates by paper. I'd never seen Lipo cells before that did not contain fluid. Can anybody comment on the differences between the dry lipos and the wet ones?
Chatenever is offline Find More Posts by Chatenever
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:51 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
660 Posts
I'm in battery mode reading up on lipos a lot. I just found a webpage that described lipo technology in some detail.

It said there is no "liquid electrolyte solution" like you find in other batteries. I think its all solid phase, but don't quote me on that.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:16 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
815 Posts
Yes, you're right. But every time prior to today when I punctured a Lipo, there WAS a liquid electrolyte solution inside. I was just wondering when the change came about, if the design changed with all Lipo brands, and what was the effect of that change.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:23 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,805 Posts
Most new packs I destroy has a paste that, when overheated, becomes a goo like liquid.
I agree, I think it may be the new technology out there.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:12 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatenever View Post
I recently needed to dispose of a worn-out Zippy lipo. As per my usual protocol, my first step was to puncture the lipo inside a metal container to let the fluid inside leak out. In the past, this was sometimes a rather exciting experience, because one never knows how much "activity" will be produced from doing this.
You are subjecting yourself to a dangerous situation by puncturing a LiPo.

The proper method of rendering a dead LiPo safe is to discharge it to zero via an automobile tail light or other form of resistance. When the light goes out short the two discharge leads together (solder or crimp). When discharging the pack may swell but will not burst.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:40 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
660 Posts
If they piss me off enough, I like to puncture them with a compressor powered air cannon firing 6 inch lead spheres from about 20 yards. Either that or discharge a small plastic explosive underneath them after soaking with propane.
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:05 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen View Post
if they piss me off enough, i like to puncture them with a compressor powered air cannon firing 6 inch lead spheres from about 20 yards. Either that or discharge a small plastic explosive underneath them after soaking with propane.
lol