Nice one, amigo.

Thanks for sharing.

Stratigio is offline Find More Posts by Stratigio
Old Nov 05, 2013, 05:58 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Tx a lot buddies.... Actually the area close to the graved runway, as said, last night and days before was heavy rain... and it was complety unusable by the mud..., and if you land on this area, problably to you will have your shoes complety full of dirt.....
Anyway, as fellow said there were enough wind...; ( more than I preffer, to do a exactly vertical landing without any slippering and mar the bottom covering of fuse...). As my own runway is exactly of the same ground material, on all my thermal ships I use landing skids.....even a triangle tips on the polyhedral joints on some ..., not neccesary in the Mirage cause the electrical red tape that is used to secure the outer pannels is placed also in the bottom and protect the covering too...
Regards buddies, and Tx a lot again for your gentle words and inestimable help on this wonderful project...
Manolo.
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Old Nov 05, 2013, 11:28 AM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jul 2002
388 Posts
Manolo, What is the material you are using for the skid????
jcyr1 is offline Find More Posts by jcyr1
Old Nov 09, 2013, 01:15 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Sorry not posting before buddy. The landing skid actually t is 1 cm. wide foam...you cand find in the sports stores, at least here. I just cut the strips with a sharp blade and fix with two face sticking tape... From time to time I remove the skids and just install a new one. It offer good abrasive protection plus it stop the ship without too much slippery...
Not a Mirage, but just check on our very abrasive club runway almost at the end of this the vid to check how it works compared with another glider without... on 6´10 min. and 7´02 min.
Regards.
Manolo.

BIRD OF TIME, BIRDIE AND FRIENDS... (8 min 42 sec)
Old Nov 09, 2013, 05:36 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jul 2002
388 Posts
Manolo,
Thanks for the update. I'll check sporting goods stores. We land on
asphalt runway or desert floor so the bottom takes a beating.
John
jcyr1 is offline Find More Posts by jcyr1
Old Nov 09, 2013, 05:52 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2013
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetwo View Post
Sorry not posting before buddy. The landing skid actually t is 1 cm. wide foam...you cand find in the sports stores, at least here. I just cut the strips with a sharp blade and fix with two face sticking tape... From time to time I remove the skids and just install a new one. It offer good abrasive protection plus it stop the ship without too much slippery...
Not a Mirage, but just check on our very abrasive club runway almost at the end of this the vid to check how it works compared with another glider without... on 6´10 min. and 7´02 min.
Regards.
Manolo.

Wow. Why in the world are you guys landing downwind? Why can't you make your approach from the opposite direction?

Again, I'd be landing in the dirt field. Muddy or not. It's got to be better on your planes than the asphalt.
DrewV is offline Find More Posts by DrewV
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:26 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewV View Post
Wow. Why in the world are you guys landing downwind? Why can't you make your approach from the opposite direction?

Again, I'd be landing in the dirt field. Muddy or not. It's got to be better on your planes than the asphalt.
Hi Drew..., check again the video and see the flags.... it wasn´t downwind. Actually it was fully right cross wind...
If you check my aproach.. what I did was drifting from the left with rudder; ( of course, no alierons on most BOTs ), till i reach the center of the runway...
The others guys did more or less the same but maybe with too much speed and without using spoilers or spoilerons on them...
Many times that cross wind and abrasive fields are a good excuse to hand catch..., at lest till the wheat fields around my runway will be tall enough...
Regards mate.
Manolo.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 06:56 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Nov 2007
24 Posts
E- mirage- incidence question

I am building a Mirage. built two fuses- one for winch launch and the other for adding an electric motor for ALES.
I noticed on the plans that the wing has a 2 degree positive incidence to the horizontal stab. Is that correct. My kit is an old one- Hi-Flight Model Products, manufactured in Hemet, CA. The plans are the old blue line prints. When plans are printed a lot this way the get off a little from the original drawings. I have adapted some of the build tips from Marks Isthmus kit like the wing hold down and shear web upgrade.
My main concern is the incidence. I usually like a 0 incidence on a plane to avoid pitch on launch.
I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
I am tying to get this plane ready for an ALES contest in 10 days so haven't had time to read all the posts on this thread.
Thanks for any input.
Lou
foxcraft is offline Find More Posts by foxcraft
Last edited by foxcraft; Mar 13, 2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling and word checks
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:03 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
851 Posts
On mine is two degrees down and the same to left. As almost always in this kind of e-conversions, not enough at all at full power and I must use some elevator down mixing or fingering..., but fine for a gentle climb....
Regards.
Manolo.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:48 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcraft View Post
I am building a Mirage. built two fuses- one for winch launch and the other for adding an electric motor for ALES.
I noticed on the plans that the wing has a 2 degree positive incidence to the horizontal stab. Is that correct. My kit is an old one- Hi-Flight Model Products, manufactured in Hemet, CA. The plans are the old blue line prints. When plans are printed a lot this way the get off a little from the original drawings. I have adapted some of the build tips from Marks Isthmus kit like the wing hold down and shear web upgrade.
My main concern is the incidence. I usually like a 0 incidence on a plane to avoid pitch on launch.
I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
I am tying to get this plane ready for an ALES contest in 10 days so haven't had time to read all the posts on this thread.
Thanks for any input.
Lou
Foxcraft:

From my Isthmus Models Mirage fuse drawing, it looks like the wing has a 2 degree positive incidence to the stab, as measured with my protractor.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:55 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Nov 2007
24 Posts
mirage- incidence question

Thanks for checking your plans for the incidence.
Since I am using a nylon bolt hold down on the trailing edge of the wing it would be easy to shim the trailing wing edge to change incidence.
Lou
foxcraft is offline Find More Posts by foxcraft
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:40 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
1,692 Posts
The original kit had the 2 deg positive incidence. That will work fine as long as you keep to the original CG position and dont mind a limited speed range.

I would recommend you change it to zero incidence.

That will allow you to move the cg back. Mine flew much better with the cg moved waaaay back from what is shown on the plans. I was flying mine at just over 50% back from the leading edge at the center panel.
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old Mar 17, 2014, 03:22 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
The original kit had the 2 deg positive incidence. That will work fine as long as you keep to the original CG position and dont mind a limited speed range.

I would recommend you change it to zero incidence.

That will allow you to move the cg back. Mine flew much better with the cg moved waaaay back from what is shown on the plans. I was flying mine at just over 50% back from the leading edge at the center panel.
Mr E:

Thanks for the incidence recommendation. I already had the CG back a bit. But I am starting to shim the trailing edge of the wing and I like the results.
I think I will continue to approach zero incidence with more shimming. I plan to move the CG back further, but will have to go to a smaller LiPo. This is a good thing because a 2200mAh 3s LiPo definitely is not required for my Mirage.

Funny (scary) thing happened today. Lesson learned: pre-flight your Tx, not just your plane. I have an on-off toggle switch for the throttle. Today while flying, I noticed that the toggle kept getting shorter until it was almost not there. Luckily this fool had a piece of tape on end of toggle to remind him it is the throttle. Otherwise the switch probably would have gone into the body of the Tx and resulted in a non-stop,full throttle, flight from Hell.

A great Boomer day for my favorite bird.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:44 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
1,692 Posts
Close call on the tx switch! Glad you caught it in time

I did the same shimming on the wing trailing edge until I was at zero. I had moved the cg back first and ended up with a large elevator deflection in relation to the horizontal stab. That doesnt hurt performance all that much, but it sure looks weird!

It was easier to shim the wing than to change the stab angle.
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE