HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2010, 07:25 PM
Flyer Down Under
Moruya, NSW Australia
Joined Sep 2008
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
If you want, PM me your address and I'll mail you a couple inches of this tube. I'm not using it. You'll only use less than half an inch (1 CM or so?) for the nosewheel.
thanks PM sent

CB
Crow Boy is offline Find More Posts by Crow Boy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:07 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Ozi, I should add that it is designed to be a trainer. While it is a very capable plane, depending on your level of experience you may eventually grow a little tired of its tame characteristics. Having said that, I know guys that fly theirs every week and love it. If you like easy relaxed flying, I would still recommend it, but if you are a "gung-ho, go-for-it" kind of pilot, then maybe one of the warbirds, such as a PZ Corsair or Mustang would suit you better?

I'd also suggest you try and build a profile 6mm depron F-22 or MIG-29. Easy and cheap to build, and an absolute blast to fly.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757214
I am starting to appreciate the more relaxing models I have in my hangar. Some mornings we just park our bums in our seats under our makeshift shade sail and just cruise around with our Pico Moths and converted Multiplex foxes. Sometimes I am not in the mood to fly the EDF stuff. Can be very nerve wracking. I was looking at the Hobbyking Easystar copy but I hate the sound they make with the little props they run. I will eventually settle for something like the Apprentice. Thanks for the info.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:37 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Ozzi,

If you've read this thread and also the Apprentice thread over on the Beginner's forum, you'll know that this bird might be exactly what you're looking for. Fun, fast, but relaxing too. Can land it hot or float in. Needs the big wheels on grass. The stock motor is powerful enough, but fragile, and once you've ditched that and upgraded to a Hyperion, E-flite Power 15, or some other dependable motor, and bigger batteries, APC props, this plane flies fast enough, does most aerobatics, and covers a lot of ground quickly. That's why Horizon does not call it a Parkflyer. Also, it's big and looks great against a darkening sky. I fly for 20 min with the Thunder Power 4350 mAh batteries (heavier than stock batteries, but no problem), using 80% of the battery, and it's very enjoyable.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Last edited by tlr-boise; Apr 12, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:44 AM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
Learning to land

After crashing a 2nd hand easy-star I bought as a first plane, I thought I better learn how to land...
I contemplated a Multiplex Mentor, but then decided a nose wheel is better for the windy fields around here, so I bought an ARF version, whithout the remote, receiver and battery, which I already had.
Here are some photoes of my take-off/landing lessons, it's the second time I ever flown it:

and there's also a short video (in hebrew, sorry). I put two small camcorders - one on the plane and one glued to my sunglasses so I can record my POV with both hands free (the date is screwd up, dont mind it):
E-Flite Apprentice אימוני המראה ונחיתה בגעש (2 min 49 sec)

These come to show that this is a great trainer! I only had simulator practice and one short test on the evening before, and the wind was quite strong.

Next thing is mounting a serious HD camcorder on it and chasing some scales, or a group of birds...
shaprap is offline Find More Posts by shaprap
Old Mar 31, 2010, 11:53 AM
Takeoff,Crash,Repair ...
Rio Vista, CA
Joined Jan 2007
226 Posts
Great video shaprap, good job on the mix of hatcam and inflight video!
kg6uvp is offline Find More Posts by kg6uvp
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:54 AM
Joined Jan 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaprap View Post
After crashing a 2nd hand easy-star I bought as a first plane, I thought I better learn how to land...
I contemplated a Multiplex Mentor, but then decided a nose wheel is better for the windy fields around here, so I bought an ARF version, whithout the remote, receiver and battery, which I already had.
Here are some photoes of my take-off/landing lessons, it's the second time I ever flown it:

and there's also a short video (in hebrew, sorry). I put two small camcorders - one on the plane and one glued to my sunglasses so I can record my POV with both hands free (the date is screwd up, dont mind it):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y07w67IBbgk

These come to show that this is a great trainer! I only had simulator practice and one short test on the evening before, and the wind was quite strong.

Next thing is mounting a serious HD camcorder on it and chasing some scales, or a group of birds...
That video looked really sharp to me.. What camera did you use?
rcflyer112 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer112
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:42 AM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer112 View Post
That video looked really sharp to me.. What camera did you use?
The original quality is better, it got compressed twice - once by the cheap editing software and one by youtube.
The camera is the car remote spy camera from e-bay like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
It's similar to the "gum" spy camera, only this one is attached horizontally and the "gum" is vertical.

You can see it taped to my sunglasses in the beginning of the video.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 02:27 PM
Joined Jan 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaprap View Post
The original quality is better, it got compressed twice - once by the cheap editing software and one by youtube.
The camera is the car remote spy camera from e-bay like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
It's similar to the "gum" spy camera, only this one is attached horizontally and the "gum" is vertical.

You can see it taped to my sunglasses in the beginning of the video.
Thanks ShapRap..

I found a couple that claim to be HD.. I'm going to give them a shot and post back a video of the results..

Here is a link to one of the two I purchased.. Looked promising..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...d=573162869016
rcflyer112 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer112
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:12 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
775 Posts
I also had a question regarding the two red washers that I assume are used for offset spacers on the motor mount. If you were sitting in the plane and looking forward toward the motor should these spacers be on the right side or left side of the motor?
Also when you check the center of gravity are you holding on to the wing tips at the specified distance back from the leading edge or is there a better way to do it?
Thanks
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:15 PM
Joined Apr 2009
775 Posts
I noticed the black on your wing tips. Is this some kind of protective tape or are the newer Apprentices coming with that?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:45 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
I put the red washers on all four motor mount screws. Between the motor mount and the firewall, and between the screw head and the motor mount. Eight total. My theory is it works, but who knows. My plane flies ok.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:53 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
CoG: Page 28 of the manual.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:38 AM
Videography and stuff
Joined Oct 2009
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
I also had a question regarding the two red washers that I assume are used for offset spacers on the motor mount. If you were sitting in the plane and looking forward toward the motor should these spacers be on the right side or left side of the motor?
Also when you check the center of gravity are you holding on to the wing tips at the specified distance back from the leading edge or is there a better way to do it?
Thanks
If you look from the tail to the front - the motor should be pointing slightly down and to the right (because the large propeller is pushing the plane up and left). The down angle is already there by the shape of the firewall, and you can put the washers in the two left scerws to get the motor to piont right.

Quote:
I noticed the black on your wing tips. Is this some kind of protective tape or are the newer Apprentices coming with that?
It's a simple balck duct tape to save the wingtips from ground scratching landings. My previous plane was 80% duct tape and Epoxy...
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:41 AM
Near Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Quote:
Thanks

I have heard different reports when it comes to the number and location of the red washers. After I had a bad crash last year I forgot how many and where the washers were so I just put one at each location and it was fine. About the CoG, it's 3 1/4" aft of the LE 2" out from the fuselage.
Parkk is online now Find More Posts by Parkk
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:12 AM
Joined Apr 2009
775 Posts
I had to laugh regarding the duct tape & epoxy. It's amazing how duct tape can solve or prevent so many problems. Kind of like WD-40. Thanks for a great explanation of the direction of the motor torque and where the red washers go. Normally I will take a few notes when I take things apart but I thought the red washers would be a snap to remember. Regarding the center of gravity, I read the instructions in the manual but couldn't visualize how to actually do it. If the distance from the leading edge is extended out to the wing tips then it would be easy to hold it up with the index fingers. If it is to be done near the fuselage then I suppose the thumbs would be the choice. Anyway I will be on this task tomorrow and hope for good weather on Monday morning for an exciting attempt at flying. This is a helpful and friendly forum. Thanks