HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2005, 02:16 PM
USA, MO, Jefferson City
Joined Feb 2005
102 Posts
Park Flyer Receiver Recommendations?

Our local club recently started holding indoor fly-ins. Turnout for the first one was rather small and was great fun. Turnout for the second one was much larger and a lot of us had problems with radio interference. I experienced it with all three of my planes.

I'm using inexpensive GWS receivers in all three planes. I use a different transmitter for each one--Cheap GWS, JR Quattro and JR X-378. The building we fly is all metal and I'm told several transmitters operating in a closed metal building almost always leads to problems. Most of my experience is with glow planes (outside) so this is a new problem for me.

I'm wondering if better receivers would solve the problem? Any of you experienced indoor flyers have a recommendation for a reliable micro receiver or anything else that will help in this situation?

For reference, the planes I fly indoors are:
GWS SlowStick
Todd's Models Tiny-X
SIG Demoiselle

I came home with two of three of my planes broken after the last fly-in! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
sgillmore is offline Find More Posts by sgillmore
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2005, 03:11 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,432 Posts
Welcome to the micro forum.

1) Easiest way is to try and enforce some empty channels on either side of people flying. But, this is hard to do.
2) in larger indoor planes like yours where weight is not as much of a problem use a FMA M5 dual conversion RX, lightened by removing the shrink and foam backing.
3) lighter than the FMA is the Berg Micro Stamp, not dual conversion, but it has signal processing software.
4) try getting people to extend their antennas only half way

The GWS R4P is noted for glitching indoors. I've destroyed planes when flying with it indoors due to glitching.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Apr 01, 2005, 05:42 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,600 Posts
The GWS RX will have problems with company. As does the Hitec Feather. Any of the higher-quailty RXs will help tremendously. I've flown the FMA M5, Hitec 555 and Electron 6, Berg MicroStamp 4 in insanely crowded fly-ins w/o any hint of trouble.

I question the value of lowering the TX antenna. It should/may reduce the raidated power, but I haven't seen any evidence other than anctdotal to support that assumption. It could also damage the RF section of the TX-depending on who you talk to. I use a Rubber Duck TX antenna for indoor flying after the same flyer attempted to impale himself on my antenna--twice at $20 a pop.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2005, 03:10 PM
Toms River Rj Miller, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined May 2003
318 Posts
We fly the Berg 4 and 5 channel with NO problems both inside and out with multiple planes in the air at once!
rcflyrdon is offline Find More Posts by rcflyrdon
Old Apr 04, 2005, 01:25 PM
USA, MO, Jefferson City
Joined Feb 2005
102 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. I guess I'll just have to look into some better receivers. $20 for a receiver--I knew it was too good to be true!
Old Apr 04, 2005, 01:28 PM
USA, MO, Jefferson City
Joined Feb 2005
102 Posts
Oh, I forgot to ask...have any of you had any experience with the JR 610UL? How does it compare to the other high-end receivers you mentioned? And is it my imagination or is the 610UL just a R600 without the case?
Old Apr 04, 2005, 06:03 PM
Uniblab
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined Oct 2004
877 Posts
The Berg 4-channel solved the glitching I had with my GWS receiver in a crowded indoor environment. Heck, the GWS was glitching outside when I was flying all alone!

Roger
rwmson is offline Find More Posts by rwmson