HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2014, 08:58 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
Idea
Habu - Pusher Conversion. Peddle Launch & Flight

This Habu was given the plane and the owner removed all the gear out. It was in great shape. He got tired of it and I took the offer. I put in a inrunner as a pusher. I have had a couple great flights with it so far. It is launched with a peddle launcher. This was a good option as I did not have a fan for it but had the rest of the equipment.

Here
11-11-2014 Habu Launch and Flight (Pusher) (6 min 2 sec)

Or
11 11 2014 Habu (Pusher Prop) Launch & Nice Flight (6 min 3 sec)

**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2014, 09:14 AM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,527 Posts
Nice conversion! What kind of flight times are you getting?
DamonH is online now Find More Posts by DamonH
Old Nov 17, 2014, 09:28 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
I just flew it on 2 test flights and maybe just over 3 minutes. Most flights I do are just 3-4 minutes on a timer. I will start adjusting to it and monitor the battery voltages left until I figure a maximum flight time. I am still adjusting the plane. I want to try an APC prop also to get the right setup and efficiency on it. I could also go 5 or 6s laterfor more speed. It worked out very well for what I had on hand.
**Neons** Bob
Old Nov 17, 2014, 07:28 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,704 Posts
great job . I did the same mod to a multiplex twister a while back ,but yours flies waaay better
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Nov 17, 2014, 09:42 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
great job . I did the same mod to a multiplex twister a while back ,but yours flies waaay better
Thanks, S.
I have had many ducted fans and and pushers. I always did much better with pushers. I found them very efficient, responsive, and plenty fast. My ducted fans had to spool up a fraction of a second to equal a pusher especially in the turns..

But my findings are all on 4s and not with 5 or 6s batteries. Also the cost goes up with bigger and higher voltage batteries too.
**Neons** Bob
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:07 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,704 Posts
i try and keep my edf in the 4s and 5 s range myself .70mm is the largest size i go ,although i did make a 90mm funjet ultra ,but it i was heavy and i wasn't impressed with the speed ,although it had allot of thrust ,it literally would want to yank out of your hands . also edf tend to suck the life out of batteries . i might try your design on the dynam faux habu enjoy yours shes sweet
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:37 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
That is good. Give it a try. I hit a good combo that was reasonably cost acceptable. The HK Esc was a helicopter Esc. I could not set the timing in it as it was not in this type of Esc. But luckily it worked fine. I notched the foam out on the fuselage outlet for a 6" stick and glued it in with Gorrila glue. I had those aluminum stick mounts that have the holes preset drilled for brushless motors. The mount has 4 screws to clamp it.

The inrunner after bolted to the aluminum mount is positioned with the collet and prop to have some clearance. The the excess stick if any was trimmed. The motor had about a 1/4" clearance between the stick and the metal motor OD. I put a shim glued in so the motor does not flex forward at all. I liked this small aluminum mount as it did not obstruct air flow around the motor coming through the fuselage.

I also put a Diamond Bobcat together last spring. It is in the YouTube videos. What a nice flyer. I think it is slightly faster than my Habu. The twin booms make it track straight. Even in the hand launches. It is almost hands free. Good plane made of laser balsa and plywood. Impresses the guys in my club. I do get a better flight by far with pushers.
**Neons** Bob
Old Nov 22, 2014, 03:21 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
New Paint

The original paint was beat from previous owner flights. It was time for new paint. I just reworked the old lines and now I should be able to visually see the plane when it is in the back stretch. Having a different bright contrast on the bottom will help also. The paint is flat Walmart -Crafts Apple Barrel . After painting I added two spray coats of clear MiniWax oil Polyurethane gloss coats.

I added a fin under the tail also. It should help from from making an air skip under the plane and flipping over when belly landing. If you look at the side view you will see a small wire about 5/16 inch sticking down. This tail hook may catch the grass and slow by keeping the tail dragging in the grass landings. Note I added an air scoop in the nose from a plastic spoon. Later I will assess the stall speed and may go to hand launching. For now I will bungee launch.
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Nov 22, 2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:19 AM
i can't learn fast enough
Aubur, NY-- Finger Lakes
Joined Mar 2009
207 Posts
Neons
Is there any way you can get a pic of your release set up.
I have completed my PVC launcher, but am having trouble getting the the release to work properly.
Thanks for your time and help.
Terry
Terry Glenn is offline Find More Posts by Terry Glenn
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:31 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
Terry,
I will take some pictures for you. Give me just a little time as I am busy at the moment. I will explain in the pictures.
**Neons** Bob
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:15 PM
Aubur, NY-- Finger Lakes
Joined Mar 2009
207 Posts
Thanks very much.
Take your time.
Terry
Old Nov 25, 2014, 05:51 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
PVC Peddle Launcher

This launcher I made about 2005. It has always been outdoors at all times. Here are enough pictures to easily figure out how to make any size to suit your models. I glued only specific parts to keep it together. The bottom elbows are not glued on the horizontal part. This is so I can disassemble it for transport. You could change the structural width for a larger plane just by adding 2 equal length short pieces by adding it to the bottom on one side from the elbow to the PVC coupler near the middle.

The 3/4inch foot trigger runs the length through 2 metal eyes. The metal rod has a washer welded with a long tip sticking out. The peddle launch has a "U" loop that should go over the pin. I used threaded rod and ground the threads off in the middle to allow it to work smoothly. Then I bent it in a vice. Drill the Pvc couple stuck on the end and bolt it with 4 nuts. The extra Pvc couple makes it stronger at the end.

If you have no welder or brazing torch use 2 foot long metal threaded rod and tighten a washer between 2 nuts. Don't forget to grind off the threads at one end for the launch pin. I put the pin rod into the launcher as it is in the picture and push the whole pin and launcher into the ground by stepping on it. When you put the Pvc part that you launch with in place it should be up off the ground at a height that when you step on the peddle the opposite end loop clears the pin top as it pushes the bungee loop off the tip. That is where you glue the peddle elbow.

There is a way to determine the bungee pull on a plane. You can use a fisherman's deliar scale. I think 2 times the weight works. I just guesstimate and pull hard on the bungee until there is a lot of length and thrust for a big plane and less for a small plane like GWS models. I have a smaller bungee I made for smaller planes from Home Depot cord. There should be a nylon string about 40% of the bungee length for safety should a bungee let go. The rag creates drag on the plane end to help the hook fall off after launch. It works for me. Some fliers use the foam pipe insulation on the rails. Feel free to ask questions. There is always room for improvement.

**Neons** Bob
Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,336 Posts
Congratulations Bob. Great conversion.

Manuel V
manuel v is offline Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Yesterday, 01:16 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,869 Posts
Thanks Manuel V,
Nice to hear from you. I read your replies in the Hex DT700 posts also. This is the 3rd pusher I have had good luck with. There will be more for sure.
**Neons** Bob
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM
Aubur, NY-- Finger Lakes
Joined Mar 2009
207 Posts
Neons:
Could you also send pic of how you are attaching cable to plane. I am missing something, and not sure just what that is.
Trying to figure how to hook the plane, and hook the tow line without them conflicting with each other.
Sorry for all the confusion.
Again, thanks so much for your time and efforts.
Terry