HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:05 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,983 Posts
Build Log
Florio Flyers "Big Nifty"

I have a flying buddy "Balsa Sticks" who asked me to frame a Big Nifty for him from scratch...It's a big floater without ailerons, 8 ' span, designed for a 20 cc size engine.

He wants to use beam mounts on a 1/2 " firewall, and wants a 2 piece wing..

I'm going back many years here, to when we didn't need carbon fiber wing tubes as a joiner, and we'll just use plywood and a steel tube .

We like wing struts on big wings, so although they aren't in the design, they will be on the aircraft...This is just for fun, and some nostalgic 3 channel flying.

Ray bought about half a lumber yard, and had it for me at the Old Fart's Breakfast.

We're off and running.

I copied one of the wing ribs, made a lite ply pattern, and cut a set of ribs. Ray
wanted harder wing spars, so we cut some from clear white pine.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Oct 16, 2014 at 07:08 AM. Reason: add pic
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:23 PM
Master of the 1 point landing
United States, IN, New Palestine
Joined Aug 2011
342 Posts
Wait a minute!!!

You have ribs to build for the Rascal. Priorities, man. You're killing us!
ckimmey is offline Find More Posts by ckimmey
Old Oct 15, 2014, 08:29 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckimmey View Post
Wait a minute!!!

You have ribs to build for the Rascal. Priorities, man. You're killing us!
Noooo, man this is filler in between the ribs curing in the fixtures (takes 8 hours)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:15 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,983 Posts
I started by transferring a template to a stack of 1/8" balsa blanks, and cutting 8 balsa ribs, and a single 1/4" lite ply center rib, in one pass...That ensures that all ribs will match with little sanding.

We deviated from the original plans to add a plywood "socket" to receive a steel ?!! tube as a wing joiner. Ray wants a two piece wing, and we can do that.

I'm off to lay down the leading and trailing edge sheeting, and all the capstrips for the bottom of the wing. I kinda like this construction technique, as it keeps everything square and straight.= You mount the spars and ribs to the sheeting, and glue them into place.

Although they are not necessary, we're adding wing struts, for no particular reason other than we like them on this size airplane (8')
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Oct 17, 2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:02 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,983 Posts
You know what happens when you become complacent ??

You screw up- not badly mind you, but it ain't something I'd want Ray to see.

I didn't check my building board for level, and built a long gentle curve into the wing, instead of straight dihedral...
That's the reason for the shear webbing, that isn't required on the plane.....I shimmed the spars hurtfully straight, and locked them there with shear webbing. All is good..
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,983 Posts
I mowed grass for three neighbors this afternoon (some play money).
Funny- I mowed grass for model airplanes in 1953, when I was 12 years old...Here we are 60 odd years later, still mowing grass for model airplane money....when you're good at something- stick to it

Learning from my previous mistake -funny, that- I confirmed the building board is straight, and clamped the top trailing edge sheeting in place.

I'm using mostly Titebond 11, with a whiff of C/A to locate things from sliding around under the clamps.

Ray had to go tell the designers of this model that I'm building it for him....I hope I don't offend them with the minor changes I'm making...I don't believe it NEEDS any changes.....but we wanted a two piece wing that would fit into Ray's car.

I'm done for this evening...the leading edge sheeting is on and drying.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2014, 06:10 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,983 Posts
I finished framing and sanding the right wing today...I need to put in some hardwood blocks for the anti-rotation dowel, ans drill the through holes- for the wing mounting bolts.

It feels funny to not build and install ailerons, and the associated hardware to operate them..The camera's missing=I'll add pics when I find it..

FOUND IT !
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Oct 19, 2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:08 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,983 Posts
I started thetailfeathers today, along with the left wing frame.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2014, 07:40 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,983 Posts
While drinking my morning coffee, I googled "Florio Big Nifty", and precious little came up.
I've never built a 'Florio' plane before,but I remember them through the years, as being user friendly.
They've since revamped the Company, and a new owner is doing what he can to continue the line.
When Ray came to me with a build request, I thought 'how hard can it be, to build one ?'..Well it isn't hard at all, and since I don't like covering all that much, Ray said he could handle that.
We older guys like slow and easy, on the work bench, and in the air..

I have the stab done, leaving one side unsheeted until after the OFB tomorrow, to show the construction, at show n' tell.
I'm doing the fin and rudder now, to the same point for tomorrow.
This is fun, and so easy ! Nuttin' like my scale airplanes at all.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2014, 09:41 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,983 Posts
The fin and rudder are framed, one side...

I'm surprised at how easy this model is framing up..Maybe it's because most planes I build now are complicated, to stay within design constraints.......but this thing is FUN to build !

If it's as much fun to fly, this oughtta be GREAT !
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Oct 21, 2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old Oct 28, 2014, 04:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,983 Posts
I finished the right fuselage side., with all the diagonals,landing gear gussets, and the stabilizer cut-out. The servo mounting girder is in place...Maybe we'll have the engine soon, and I can measure for the firewall installation.
This build is a lot of fun.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2014, 07:23 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,983 Posts
Yepper-Ray handed me the engine yesterday, and it won't be any problem to install.

It's a Valley View R/C engine, 20 cc gas and ignition lightweight.

I measured the locations, and put a drop of C/A on each engine lug, to secure the mounts in place. I set that assembly on the firewall, and marked and drilled all the holes...motor mounts, fuel line, ignition wire, throttle, and choke pushrod holes.

I have reservations about that spark plug being exposed as it is, though..I'll make a wire skid to protect it some, in case the plane goes over onto it's nose.It DOES happen.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2014, 02:59 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,190 Posts
Dang Earl, I got one of the kits NIB that I bought at a swap meet without opening the box, did not know what it was, and neither did the seller, as it was a church group selling an estate for a member. My surprise when I got home was the 5 sheets of rolled plans, and the PERFECT quality of the wood. I will start my build in about a year after I finish the current projects. I am calling it "my cute little 3 channel trainer". In the meantime, I be watching this build. Woo-Hoo !!
maxxnut is online now Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Nov 01, 2014, 12:58 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,024 Posts
It will be fun to see what a stock Big Nifty looks like . I've seen the plans,... Big model. I scratch built a Lite version of the Nifty 80 for electric,.... ailerons, flaps, aerotow, bomb drop, camera mount. Fun airplane! Have a good build.

Fred
http://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2014, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,983 Posts
Fred- we're taking some little liberties with the fuselage...We're hiding the fuel tank, and using 4 bolts to secure the wing.A two piece wing, and wing struts are in the works, also.

There is nothing wrong with the original design....this is personal preference.

-Gotta say that- the designers are watching..
RCG Plus Member