SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Durafly Skymule

An EPO twin with plenty of room for FPV gear

Splash

An FPV Ready Twin

Chances are, you've heard of Durafly's latest offering, the Skymule Twin. But did you know its setup to accept your FPV equipment from the factory? The Skymule features cutouts for a nose-mounted FPV camera, and a video-transmitter on the top of the fuselage behind the main wing. Additionally, theres an included hatch that's ready to accept a pan and tilt for your flight camera.

The Multiplex Twinstar has always been the go-to twin platform for FPV operations, but with the announcement of the Skymule, we're betting that videos will begin surfacing quickly that feature this new EPO twin.

The Durafly Skymule can carry 3S LiPos from 2600-4000mAh in size, along with your FPV and/or autopilot gear.

We spoke to Matt from HK about this plane at SEFF:

SEFF HobbyKing (6 min 17 sec)

Features:

• Fast and easy assembly
  • Beautiful EPO construction
  • Pre-installed 3S powertrain offering ample power while keeping weight down
  • Counter rotating propellers for no unwanted torque effects
  • Clip-on wings for ease of transportation
  • Two canopies - one for FPV, one for sport
  • Removable nose for FPV camera
  • Tricycle undercarriage with steerable nosewheel
  • Optional set of skis for snow or sand
  • Huge payload capacity

Specs:

• Wingspan: 1500mm
  • Length: 1095mm
  • Flying Weight: Approx 1860g
  • Motor: 2 x 4023 1100kv brushless outrunners
  • ESC: 2 x 30A
  • Servos: 5 x 9g micro servos
  • Prop Size: 3-blade 10x8

Editor's note (Jim T. Graham) - Look for an upcoming review on this plane by RCGroup's Jason Cole.

Link to hobbyking website

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Apr 17, 2014 at 08:50 AM..

Discussion

Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:02 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,786 Posts
I'm really, really surprised it doesn't have flaps. It's a decent sized airplane, and short-takeoffs and super-slow walking-pace landings would be a blast with this. I'd say it'd be easy enough to add flaps, but the ailerons are long and thin so that might make things a bit tough.

I definitely like it! The color scheme just screams "Fun!" and it really looks like it'd be a fantastic go-to plane.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Apr 17, 2014, 03:49 PM
United States, AL, Smiths Station
Joined Oct 2011
28 Posts
Nice new plane

Saw if fly at SEFF last weekend several times.

Good looking in the sky, not slow, but not overly fast either.
Colors are really good when flying.

Theres also a hatch under the wing on the pilots side for easy access to the internals or maybe even some small jumpers.

Saw it take off from grass ok, but also saw it crash on grass.

All in all this will be in my hanger soon.

Feldmarshal1
feldmarshal1 is offline Find More Posts by feldmarshal1
Old Apr 17, 2014, 05:46 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,786 Posts
Quote:
but also saw it crash on grass.
You can't say that and not include the story that goes with it!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
28 Posts
The Story

Point well taken. .... I was flying my Gee Bee on the park flyer side at SEFF, so I was paying most of my attention on my plane when I came around the pattern and I just saw pieces of the SkyMule flying across the grass runway out of the corner of my eye. That was Friday afternoon and it happened again around Saturday noon. So I missed the reaon why it happened.

What I did see prior to both impacts was a nice flying BIG bird flew. I was very impressive! It had a presence in the sky that was gorgeous to me. Seemed to handle the wind well and land relatively nice on grass.

I really looked over the plane in the HobbyKing tent and was impressed by the cargo area/fuselage size - it is tremedous! There is more that enough room for FPV or Cargo drops. It seems to have been designed on the SKY VAN that the military uses for short, in theater hauls and airdrops. The Fuselage is Volume wise much bigger that a MPX Twinstar, even though the wingspan is almost the same.

Otherwise I got to see some of the other HK new planes at SEFF and I must complement HK on doing some good work on their new designs.

Sincerely,
Feldmarshal1
Old Apr 18, 2014, 01:53 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,132 Posts
Nice description!
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Apr 18, 2014, 02:40 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,786 Posts
I'm wondering if you can cut a rear cargo door into it, put it on the gear switch or flap aux and dump stuff out the back.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 08:52 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
457 Posts
seems to be a bulky and stable airframe.
wondering if the landing gear should be moved to under-belley.
modelerchina is online now Find More Posts by modelerchina
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:30 AM
Joined Oct 2011
28 Posts
Rear Door Cutting

Yes you can install a rea door simply by cutting the rear of the fuselage. I was inspecting the plane and was thinking the same thing and really looked at that part of the plane.

There is so much space that you could do anything, my idea was to airdrop a toy jeep because the cargo area is so big. Don't forget that there is a hatch in the fuselage under the pilot side wing base that you could push paratroopers through. In the end there is more than enough airplane to do anything you can come up with.

As for the landing gear - the mains are mounted to the wing on long structs. I did not look to deeply at then but superficially they looked sturdy enough. And yes the landing gear could be relocated to the fuselage. Again there is alot of plane to work with so anything is possible.

I probably inspected this plane for well over a half an hour over the 2 days I spent at SEFF and you guessed it - I like it. There is just so much you can do with a plane this size and the fact that I love riding in a real sky van puts this on my want list.

feldmarshal1
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:48 PM
FORTEALLOY
United States, MT, Bozeman
Joined Mar 2009
3 Posts
Really nice looking plane....can see the possibility of one in the hangar soon.

The HK page (USA) does not list or mention spare props. The stock units are counter-rotating, so you need a R/L, cant just slap an existing 10x8 from your box of spare parts. This would seem like a fairly basic item to include in the warehouse. Or am I the only one who occasionally breaks them?

Alternately, has anyone flown this plane (or anything very similar) without c/r props? My only other experience is a Hobbico Twinstar (glow), not a fair comparison.
FORTEALLOY is offline Find More Posts by FORTEALLOY
Last edited by FORTEALLOY; Apr 22, 2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: clarify which twinstar
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:28 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,854 Posts
I have/had 3 Multiplex Twinstar's and never found a need for CR props. The mule looks great but how much room is needed once it loaded with gear.
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:49 PM
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,867 Posts
Pretty sure the HK guys mention in one of the videos that CR props aren't a necessity with the Sky Mule.
smoothvirus is online now Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blackout Mini H Quadcopter
Old Apr 23, 2014, 06:15 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,268 Posts
Hi All,

I appreciate this thread is in the FPV section, but for those wanting general information on the SM, there is a good thread here.

Enjoy, Aus.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Sep 03, 2014, 08:27 AM
Joined Sep 2014
1 Posts
All Dear Friends can i use 3s 5200mah battery in this plane for longer flight time.Kindly reply me Appreciate your answer
Zalq is offline Find More Posts by Zalq
Old Sep 03, 2014, 08:30 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,119 Posts
Of course you can. I fly mine with a 3s5000. It needs to be almost fully under the wing to get the cg far enough back though.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic