SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
I am getting Tamiya female (on the plane) to XT60 male (on the battery) connectors. Will permanently tape the Tamiya end to the plane. This is right, isn't it?

Will ask for hinge tape.
ckelly14 is offline Find More Posts by ckelly14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:29 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
it's up to you how you wanna do it. i personally would change the connector on the plane, and then change the connectors on my batteries to match. i would throw the tamiya connectors in the trash.

if your going thru all the trouble to make up adapters, your just adding another connection that can go bad.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:21 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,994 Posts
I buy the connectors already made. My LHS has Tamiya to EC3/EC2 and Tamiya to Deans. I have found that connecting and disconnecting them is what causes the Tamiya connectors to go bad. If you only connect them once and tape them together and leave them that way it isn't a problem. I have never had a Tamiya connector melt, in cars or planes. If one has melted on you, you are not using the correct ESC/motor/battery combination.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:56 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
actually melting a tamiya connector is pretty common. they really don't like higher amp draws. while they may perform fine on the ares due to it's low power, they still are junk connectors. if your going thru the trouble to buy adapters, why not just change the plug in the first place? by adding adapters your adding another connection to fail, another restriction in your power system and adding more things to get in the way of an already tight fit in the plane.

i melted my first tamiya connector on an axial scx10 running the stock esc, 3s 2200mah 30c battery and a br00d 35t motor, not a real powerhouse setup, but pulled enough juice to kill the connector. switched to deans and been trouble free for a couple years.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:29 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly14 View Post
Apprentice it is. The RTF version is only $70 more than the PNP version, and I would be hard pressed to find a receiver, battery and charger for that amount of money. I guess I'll buy the RTF version and keep the DX5 for a backup.

Still poking around at the Archer. It's pretty new, so only a few threads out there. I assume it will be harder to fly compared to the other planes.
The Archer is a very nice aircraft with gentle character. I believe it to fit the niche between parkflyer and micro quite nicely. This is our maiden flight. Check out our channel we have beginner videos as well as more advanced Flight Reviews.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RC-Ai...5204917?ref=hl
Parkzone Archer maiden flight (9 min 38 sec)
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ryramZ; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: oops wrong link
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:04 AM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
+1 the above post.
The Archer will teach you invaluable lessons about landing!
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:15 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,994 Posts
You keep referring to Tamiya connectors on RC cars. We're talking planes here, ones that don't require the electrical draw you are referring to. Ares would not have put these connectors on them in the first place if they were prone to burn out on their choice of power systems. I have run cars, electric and nitro since 1991 and NEVER had a stock Tamiya connector melt or burn with the stock power system installed. When you remove even one component and upgrade it in that power system, all bets are off. The problem I have encountered with Tamiya/Molex connectors is that the constant unplugging and plugging in of batteries makes the connectors spread out and lose contact after a while. I had all the connectors on my original Gamma 370 changed to EC2 and haven't had a problem since. However, on my Gamma 370 Pro, using the 2s 1300 7.4v battery with a Tamiya to EC2 adapter I haven't had an issue because I permanently taped the ESC and adapter connectors together so no unplugging and plugging on those Tamiya connectors occurrs. To say that a Tamiya connector will burn eventually is not true, if you keep the stock power system in tact. If you don't, you can't blame the connector, that's your fault.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69