HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:04 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,868 Posts
Congrats on a successful maiden. May not have flown the way you would have liked, but you got it home in one piece!
It will fly much better with that prop. You could try heating the blade root and twisting more pitch into the three blade prop. It looks SO much better than that 2 blade.

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
404 Posts
thanks glenn.in the air this should look fine but i would much rather it would have a 3 blade and the spinner for display.too bad its such a pain to change out props.i will give the re pitched 3 blade a try too.
meltor is offline Find More Posts by meltor
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:24 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,868 Posts
Yeah, changing out these small props can be a pain. I usually remove the little plastic nut of the inside end and pull the whole shaft out. I find it easier to start prop onto the threads without cross threading them when the assembly out of the model.

You will need a heat gun that has a small nozzle. Mine is about 3/8". This will concentrate the heat at the blade root. In the pic you can see the trailing edge of the blade is a bit wrinkled. That's because the heat was too high and spread out too far up the blade. That was the first blade of the first prop I tried re-pitching. It was really a scrap prop with stripped threads to experiment on and I put some ca in the hole and jammed it onto the shaft just to try it out.

Concentrate the heat at the blade root. I twist the prop first to get the proper grip on it, then apply the heat. Don't get it so hot the plastic gets floppy. You want it just hot enough to take the twist and stay.

Glenn
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:37 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
404 Posts
here is a short video showing function of my 109
Guillows Bf109 RC conversion (4 min 12 sec)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:30 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
404 Posts
here is some flight footage of the bf109.it flys great! no real power house but it has enough power to get out of trouble.i really like how it banks in a turn
guillows bf109 rc test flight (3 min 56 sec)
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:55 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltor View Post
i will give the re pitched 3 blade a try too.
Have you had a chance to do it?

Nice build and thread!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2008
9 Posts
Very nice.
kmorrow804 is offline Find More Posts by kmorrow804
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:34 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
404 Posts
thanks guys, i havn't tried the re pitched 3 blade yet. i'm just patiently waiting for some flying weather and hopefully a camera man to get some more footage.
even a 30 degree day with low winds will be nice.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:56 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,868 Posts
Congrats on the successful maiden! Looks to fly well too!
When you re-pitch the prop, the key is to concentrate the heat at the blade root. If you don't have a heat gun that has a small nozzle, maybe you could hold the blade over a soldering iron to heat only a small area. You might screw up a prop, but the result is well worth the effort!
Glenn
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:47 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
404 Posts
here is my repitched 3 blade . i used a tea light for heat and just went around and made all 3 equal.
i'm going to fly it with the gws 5043 a couple more times and then switch to the 3 blade.i hope to have video footage to share.
thanks for all the tips Glen.it's great that you share them
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:47 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,868 Posts
A candle, never thought of using that. Great idea.
Pitch looks good. I used the TLAR method too and found the hardest part was to get it to run true. Takes a bit of fiddling but once you try it you will like how the model flies. It will load the motor a bit more than the 5x4.3 and you will need good batteries. Most of my flights are done at bit over half throttle.
Might not be the best prop solution, but it will sure look good on your model!
Glenn
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:45 PM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Meltor very nice! congratulations on a great little flyer. I have this one as a Rubber powered FF. I am just finishing up it's sparing mate with UM Trojan guts. I plan on doing the glewis prop mod also.

Again very cool and nice video,

Best,

Mark
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:24 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Looks nice and stable in the video, reminds me of how my spitfire flies really. I think it's great you were able to get that plane in the air using the kit wood, that's quite the accomplishment
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:35 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
404 Posts
thanks for the comments guys.i'm really looking forward to flying this one some more when we get some more tolerable weather.looking back at my build i should have really gutted the aft fuselage formers that could have saved me some of the 1/4 oz nose weight.
i will be sure to get some more video of the next flights.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:09 AM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
404 Posts
we had a mild day today temps in the 20s and low 5mph winds.the camera guy was available so we shot this vid of the 109.very pleased with this model.i will give test results with the re pitched 3 blade and another vid sometime this spring
Guillows Bf109 RC winter flight (5 min 26 sec)