HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:54 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Idea
Sony NEX-5n super simple mounting....

I got a bit bored so I decided to tinker a bit. I wanted a super compact Quad to haul my NEX-5n around so I machined a custom center section. This uses short aluminum tubes. The motor to motor distance is only 17 inches so this is a small craft.

I wanted a light weight solution for mounting that would allow tilting all the way to straight down. I stopped into Best Buy and picked up a pile of Gopro mounting hardware and this is what I came up with. It is surprisingly strong and it is very versatile. The beauty of the mount is...If you can drill a 1/4 hole you have it mounted

Here are a few pics as well as a walk around video of the new quad. There is flight footage as well as a short onboard test clip using the NEX-5n.

Simple Sony NEX-5n manual gimbal (5 min 36 sec)
power is offline Find More Posts by power
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,227 Posts
Beautiful simplicity Mike, I love it! Really steady footage too!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:40 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
That is so cute! I love the center section. The video is so smooth. I don't think you are using any vibration isolators. So which Axi motors are you using?
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:09 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Thanks guys,

No isolators at all, I started with hard mounting and all seems well. The AXI's are 2217-20 (840 kv) Graupner 10-5's on 2200 4s.

I really like Rusty's new gear plates.

Mike
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Thanks guys,

No isolators at all, I started with hard mounting and all seems well. The AXI's are 2217-20 (840 kv) Graupner 10-5's on 2200 4s.

I really like Rusty's new gear plates.

Mike
Yeah I like the gear plates also. I find a lot of use for them.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined May 2006
50 Posts
Hi Mike.

That`s just great well thought out. Could i ask what the all up weigh is.

Thanks
Charles
charles 1973 is offline Find More Posts by charles 1973
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:42 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles 1973 View Post
Hi Mike.

That`s just great well thought out. Could i ask what the all up weigh is.

Thanks
Charles
Thanks, 1705 grams with 2200 4s pack.

Mike
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,257 Posts
Nice job.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined May 2006
50 Posts
Thanks mike,

How do you get super smooth video.. how much wind do you fly in..
I have been using a Sony cyber shot dsc hx9v witch seems to work great on both video and stills, but i have trouble in getting the video smooth with out wobbles.
I have been playing with different sorts of gimbals to try to smooth out the video but seem to find it hard to do so..
What do think of the NEX 7

Thanks for your time

Charles
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:00 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Smooth video is always a challenge, if I want video I usually pick my days with little or no wind. Even the best FC can't tame the wind 100 percent

I have yet to play with the NEX-7 from what I have seen it is a great cam. That said, I think you will be hard pressed to find an increase in quality AP images/video over the 5n. It is still about the best bang for buck right now.

Mike
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:41 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Nice & simple Mike, looks good. My next to-do is mount one of my cams sans gimbal to my witespy or flamewheel frame something like that. The gimbal mount has its place for some things, but I've seen pretty darn good footage (yours for example) from non stabilizing mounts too.

I notice you don't seem to fly your planes much any more?, at least from what I've seen. Do you find you can meet most of your AP/AV needs with a multi-rotor now?

Since I've jumped on the quad bandwagon I've hardly flown my Exposure, just realized the last time I took it out was when ice was still on the lake..
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Nice & simple Mike, looks good. My next to-do is mount one of my cams sans gimbal to my witespy or flamewheel frame something like that. The gimbal mount has its place for some things, but I've seen pretty darn good footage (yours for example) from non stabilizing mounts too.

I notice you don't seem to fly your planes much any more?, at least from what I've seen. Do you find you can meet most of your AP/AV needs with a multi-rotor now?

Since I've jumped on the quad bandwagon I've hardly flown my Exposure, just realized the last time I took it out was when ice was still on the lake..

I do fly the Exposure at times, it is nice for the higher altitude stuff. It is also nice to use when I have a larger area to shoot. I can usually hit most angles with a single pack.This said, my multirotors have for the most part taken over just from the fact that I can take off/land from almost anywhere. Add to this that I can shoot stills in pretty good wind and the multirotor wins

Mike
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:28 AM
Joined May 2006
50 Posts
Quote:
Smooth video is always a challenge, if I want video I usually pick my days with little or no wind. Even the best FC can't tame the wind 100 percent

I have yet to play with the NEX-7 from what I have seen it is a great cam. That said, I think you will be hard pressed to find an increase in quality AP images/video over the 5n. It is still about the best bang for buck right now.

Mike
Thanks Mike,

I all so see you like the axi motors for your multi`s, i think the smother your motors run the better video and vibe free set up you get. What other motors have you found to be good..? It can be a motor mine field trying to find a good one for the buck.

All the best.

Charles
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:52 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles 1973 View Post
Thanks Mike,

I all so see you like the axi motors for your multi`s, i think the smother your motors run the better video and vibe free set up you get. What other motors have you found to be good..? It can be a motor mine field trying to find a good one for the buck.

All the best.

Charles
I use the T-motors and Avroto's as well. Good quality at about half the price of AXI's.

Mike
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined May 2006
50 Posts
Quote:
I use the T-motors and Avroto's as well. Good quality at about half the price of AXI's.

Mike
Thanks Mike for the info will have a look at those motors.

Charles.