SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:13 AM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
If “Heading Hold" is turned on in the menu, then you can see this phenomenon when the plane is stationary -- the ailerons move to chase wandering reported GPS location.
Ive noticed that with the Tornado too, i have a Storm but it's not been installed yet. Iv'e had the same reactions sitting in my office, it will get GPS lock and then sometimes it goes away and it will then reaquire GPS lock, the GPS location wanders as you say the ailerons will move...thanks now i know why its doing what its doing.

Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:21 PM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
1,024 Posts
As the others mentioned, I'd be willing to bet that the phenomenon would go away as soon as you disable heading-hold. If it does that with it disabled, then there is certainly something wrong but this is a very common occurrence and it has frightened most us (until we realize the cause).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
I had seen this before really....

Within a minute or so there was a "Glitch Noise" and I noted that the Ailerons had gone to maximum in one direction!! They STAYED there, then after about 30 seconds there was another 'Glitch Noise" as they shot back to neutral !
I was sitting and pondering how odd an occurrence this was (!!) and after a few minutes it did the exact same thing again! For much the same time before returning to neutral Ailerons.
I could not see any change in the Elevator, but it could have been slight and thus not noticeable.
!
melsailsnorth is offline Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Old Nov 19, 2014, 02:26 PM
I'm in Geek Mode
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined May 2013
182 Posts
You have to fly the plane and test PA and RTH. If the plane just sits, GPS coordinates drift and that causes the control surfaces to do that. Happened to me also.
flying_slow is online now Find More Posts by flying_slow
Old Nov 19, 2014, 04:46 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,553 Posts
Thanks for that info!1 I will test that....
It makes sense, and I DID have Heading Hold ON. I didn't check the satellites, but I normally get plenty even indoors here. Though the plane is stationary and it might need to be moving for the 'maths' to all work properly.

Funny how it seems to be a similar loop timing to occur.

I have had the plane roll over and dive away ONCE before in flight, so that seemed to tie in. But it could have been a totally unrelated reason too.

To feel totally safe, I will do a sequence of flight tests - up high - also! hehe
I never fly PA mode as I have not trusted it totally, plus am happy to be more like truly 'flying an aeroplane' anyway. (a light aircraft, not an Airbus!)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Nov 20, 2014, 03:40 PM
Youtube: TomRi25
Croatia, City of Zagreb, Zagreb
Joined Aug 2010
735 Posts
takeoff, some proximity and landing, all in PA, pretty safe so far on few planes I had Storm in.
(DIY 1.3m flying wing, 2m X8, 1.5m Bixler, 2.2m Talon... )

Talon UAV maiden flight - 1239m high (4 min 13 sec)

5.8 GHz proximity FPV Bixler 2 (6 min 4 sec)
Dr.Tom is offline Find More Posts by Dr.Tom
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dr.Tom; Nov 20, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 06:02 PM
United Kingdom, Devon
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
RTH Altitude

RTH works fine on my storm, but despite setting the RTH altitude to 90 meters, it does not attempt to make any adjustment to achieve this height. It tends to hold the existing altitude. Any ideas what is wrong here?
Turbiner is offline Find More Posts by Turbiner
Old Nov 22, 2014, 07:36 PM
elprofe
Joined Feb 2008
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbiner View Post
RTH works fine on my storm, but despite setting the RTH altitude to 90 meters, it does not attempt to make any adjustment to achieve this height. It tends to hold the existing altitude. Any ideas what is wrong here?
Hi, I think nothing is wrong... Just check your setting on menu:
If you want the plane to go to RTH ALT, then set ALT HOLD to "N".
If you want the plane to mantain the existing altitude at the moment you go to rth, then set ALT HOLD to "Y" (I think this is your case)

Tell us if you solve it
elprofe is offline Find More Posts by elprofe
Old Nov 23, 2014, 05:59 AM
United Kingdom, Devon
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elprofe View Post
Hi, I think nothing is wrong... Just check your setting on menu:
If you want the plane to go to RTH ALT, then set ALT HOLD to "N".
If you want the plane to mantain the existing altitude at the moment you go to rth, then set ALT HOLD to "Y" (I think this is your case)

Tell us if you solve it
Just checked and it's already set that way?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 08:12 AM
Joined Nov 2013
51 Posts
Throttle position too low or too less elevator gain
Schalonsus is offline Find More Posts by Schalonsus
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:41 AM
United Kingdom, Devon
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalonsus View Post
Throttle position too low or too less elevator gain
Throttle position is about 60%, the pitch gain is 70% and roll gain is 70%. Anyone flying a Twinstar who could give me their gain/angle settings?
Last edited by Turbiner; Nov 23, 2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 06:26 PM
United States, FL, Williston
Joined Sep 2012
60 Posts
I got my replacement main board yesterday. Thanks Extraline excellent customer service!!!
kalikraven is offline Find More Posts by kalikraven
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
609 Posts
Got a question about the Storm in my Z2, i just got a new to me Storm (have a Tornado in my Penguin) i did set the TX to non elevon like your suppose to and elevons respond like they should but i have noticed when in PA (havent flown the Z yet with Storm) if i raise the nose the elevons go down like they should and the same if i tilt the nose down they go up but they dont look like they respond with the same deflection, is this going to be some linkage adjustments on the servos to correct this? All ive had in the Z is a MFD Telelflypro and everything worked perfect until i added the Storm in the mix. If i switch it to RTH they look like the work perfect ( tested outside with good GPS lock)

Steve
sjgoulet is offline Find More Posts by sjgoulet
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgoulet View Post
Got a question about the Storm in my Z2, i just got a new to me Storm (have a Tornado in my Penguin) i did set the TX to non elevon like your suppose to and elevons respond like they should but i have noticed when in PA (havent flown the Z yet with Storm) if i raise the nose the elevons go down like they should and the same if i tilt the nose down they go up but they dont look like they respond with the same deflection, is this going to be some linkage adjustments on the servos to correct this? All ive had in the Z is a MFD Telelflypro and everything worked perfect until i added the Storm in the mix. If i switch it to RTH they look like the work perfect ( tested outside with good GPS lock)

Steve
I've seen this before. Generally speaking, if the control surfaces move at all, and move in the right direction, while in hand, then the unit is probably going to work fine.

The acid test is to perform flight tests. The key being to get two faults high, keep it in close, and proceed with caution.
syzygyQ is online now Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,204 Posts
If any of you guys want a Cyclops Storm OSD pm me, it is brand new and never used, i won it from SpecUAV contest and wanted to use it on a new build but i can't afford a new build right now.

send me a PM with offer and we can work something out, it will be ship from Quebec in Canada.

Thanks
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member