SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:10 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
I don't konw about the PC Commander. Really wish I could get it to work.

I have Windows 7. Downloaded the most updated version of the software, extracted all the files and installed them. When I click the program all I get is a dialog box that says "DOSD+ PC Commander has quit working."

At this point I'm willing to pay a bit for some help if someone was willing to do a net meeting with me and figure it out.

PM to discuss.
Try PMing Cralis...he's the author of PC Commander. He might have some ideas. Make sure you let him know you're running it on a MAC with Win OS...in case that makes a difference.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined Jul 2010
82 Posts
Xlator

If I get a Xlator to use with my dosd and FY-30a, what I get other than the artificial horizon?
Also, using xlator do I still need to asign a switch for the fy-30a stab modes? or dosd takes charge of it?
hmattar is offline Find More Posts by hmattar
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:07 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmattar View Post
If I get a Xlator to use with my dosd and FY-30a, what I get other than the artificial horizon?
Also, using xlator do I still need to asign a switch for the fy-30a stab modes? or dosd takes charge of it?
With the Xlator and FY30 you'll get AHI and IMU stabilization...reacts quicker to bumps, wind gusts, etc, than GPS stabilization.

You won't need any extra control channels for the FY30 via Xlator. The FY provides the IMU data to the DOSD and the DOSD does the processing for control surface reactions. The IMU Stab gain in the DOSD determines how much/little the DOSD responds to the IMU info.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:07 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
A bit more tinkering tonight and I believe I fixed my channel assignment issue. I set the radio type to other and now my channel 3 and 4 settings do not change like they were before. Not sure why this is but it doesn't matter.

Installed a Y on my ailerons allowing me to plug the ESC into the OSD. Now the OSD has the capability to control all aspects of my plane. If I don't like the throttle management a simple OSD change will disable it.

I also played around with the mission planner and was able to plan and upload three test missions to the OSD. The process was fairly straight forward. I assume the altitude section is the desired altitude the aircraft will fly the flight plan? If not it's easy enough to change.

I am still trying unsuccessfully to get the other DOSD software tool but I'm getting a bit of help on that end. Hopefully I'll figure out what I'm screwing up.

So, hopefully this weekends flights will start to test/adjust the AP.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:26 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,497 Posts
Quote:
Installed a Y on my ailerons allowing me to plug the ESC into the OSD. Now the OSD has the capability to control all aspects of my plane. If I don't like the throttle management a simple OSD change will disable it.
I don't follow...how'd you connect the throttle Y-harness? Is it connected to both the Rx throttle channel, the DOSD output channel and then to the ESC? If so, I don't see how it'll work. The DOSD throttle control only works UP TO the actual throttle position, so you'll need throttle input anyway. Your ESC is going to see that throttle signal an a varying DOSD signal mixed together.? If I understand how you've tried to hook it up it doesn't sound like a workable solution.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:54 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I don't follow...how'd you connect the throttle Y-harness? Is it connected to both the Rx throttle channel, the DOSD output channel and then to the ESC? If so, I don't see how it'll work. The DOSD throttle control only works UP TO the actual throttle position, so you'll need throttle input anyway. Your ESC is going to see that throttle signal an a varying DOSD signal mixed together.? If I understand how you've tried to hook it up it doesn't sound like a workable solution.
i thought DOSD+ throttle option mode 2 are fully pilot controlled even in AP mode? plus neat idea with the why harness, but why he can actually use extra channel on his RX connect the other end of the Y harness mix it with throttle channel and assign a switch so it can be enabled and disabled as user discretion , only benefit we get from this is the less hassle unpluging and replugin the connection, especially when you have small tight space on your plane
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:12 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,387 Posts
Quote:
Y harness for the ailerons as I have two servos. Throttle plugged into output 4 and assigned correctly.
Mike Freas is online now Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:36 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,497 Posts
Quote:
Y harness for the ailerons as I have two servos. Throttle plugged into output 4 and assigned correctly.
Gotcha...I reread your post...yep, you said Y-harness on ailerons...my mistake.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:42 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
i thought DOSD+ throttle option mode 2 are fully pilot controlled even in AP mode? plus neat idea with the why harness, but why he can actually use extra channel on his RX connect the other end of the Y harness mix it with throttle channel and assign a switch so it can be enabled and disabled as user discretion , only benefit we get from this is the less hassle unpluging and replugin the connection, especially when you have small tight space on your plane
In AP mode, you have full override authority on the aileron, elevator, and rudder. You don't have override on the throttle when in AP and using Throttle Mode 2. Well, you do have a little throttle override, but that's just in lowering the throttle. AP throttle control only works up to actual throttle position. If you have cruise set to, say, 30 (mph/kph/whatever) and it only takes half throttle to maintain that, and you're in AP mode with AP throttle control, and you give it full throttle...nothing will happen. The DOSD will regulate the throttle to maintain the cruise control. I tried cruise control and felt disconnected from the throttle because of this feature. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. I just didn't like it the feel. I'm happier with setting failsafe throttle to a position that maintains a comfortable cruise speed should I failsafe. While in normal or AP I still have full throttle control so I can slow the plane down or speed it up to my liking, whenever I want. Just a personal preference.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:26 AM
What goes up, must come down
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Sep 2009
705 Posts
Hi everybody

It's been a while sense I've been here (to long), I had my X8 out flying last weekend, first time since middle of August. We had our first good snow of the year so figured why not all I was able to do was charge my lipos and dust off the plane and load the car,, fingers crossed everything still worked. I couldn't even remember what switch did what on my TX got to the field and sure enough,, the dragon awoken! Better then ever, I was surprised it worked without a hitch,, (although I'm in an APM phase with my new quad ) I realized just how much I missed my DOSD,, simple, small, and the OSD is clear and clean. I might need to buddy up a DOSD with my APM on my quad just for the OSD and RSSI,, anyways I just thought I'd share my love story of my DOSD

But I was wondering about DragonTracks,, any news? Haven't looked back at all but thought I'd see if there was any new development.

Crazy1
crazy1pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy1pilot
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:22 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,751 Posts
I'm afraid dragontracks is still whispers in the wind. Last I heard it was undergoing another PCB layout revision.

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:41 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
Like a lunatic, I killed the solder pad on my dosd GPS module's pcb. It's where the white wire would solder to. Can I just solder to the rv1 leg instead? Would be tricky but I think I have the tools to do it. Or anywhere else on the GPS module pcb? Mine is a locosys mc1513 1205c 1590r-a.
Answered my own question - I scratched off some material covering the trace leading from the solder pad and soldered the wire to it there. Sucks but it works for now.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:59 AM
Joined Jul 2010
82 Posts
Quote:
With the Xlator and FY30 you'll get AHI and IMU stabilization...reacts quicker to bumps, wind gusts, etc, than GPS stabilization.

You won't need any extra control channels for the FY30 via Xlator. The FY provides the IMU data to the DOSD and the DOSD does the processing for control surface reactions. The IMU Stab gain in the DOSD determines how much/little the DOSD responds to the IMU info.
Thanks for the help Vant!
But how do i activate on dosd the stabilization? I mean, right now i have a switch that choose from normal flight, rth and the dosd menu.
How will I change from normal flight to stabilized flight? Or the stabilization just works on autopilot modes?
hmattar is offline Find More Posts by hmattar
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:13 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmattar View Post
Thanks for the help Vant!
But how do i activate on dosd the stabilization? I mean, right now i have a switch that choose from normal flight, rth and the dosd menu.
How will I change from normal flight to stabilized flight? Or the stabilization just works on autopilot modes?
Van said "The IMU Stab gain in the DOSD determines how much/little the DOSD responds to the IMU info."
I set a variable knob to add or reduce the stab gain. Set the knob in the Stab gain window.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:05 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,423 Posts
^^ yes, and if you don't assign a switch then the gain setting in the menu will be the gain.
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash