HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:50 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Hi All!

Anyone using the eurgle radio, I have found a slight problem. The old firmware on these radios is fine. The newer radios ( the ones that show mode1 instead of model 1 on the display ) don't arm the gyros correctly. I am trying to find a work around and will post it asap. I hope I didn't mess anyone up by recomending this radio. It is a really nice tranny for the $$, but they went and messed with it!

See Ya
Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:51 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,498 Posts
Rev, good to see it is going and about ready for some fun flying. See the posts below for HH on yaw, seems to work.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1636
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=563

This vid from Mike was with HH on yaw.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=760
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Last edited by Dave Barrow; Jan 23, 2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: added links
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:01 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
Gene...are you telling me your going to beat me to the punch on the maiden of the Tri?
Hmmmm..... well I DID just get my package of goodies today!

However, I am as lost as last years Easter egg when it comes to this heli stuff. Keep asking all those questions because not only would I be asking the same thing, I'll probably ask 'em again just in a different way.

I think you're waaaayy ahead of me bud!

Gene
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:04 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
Thank you Dave, I appreciate the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barrow View Post
Rev, good to see it is going and about ready for some fun flying. See the posts below for HH on yaw, seems to work.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1636
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=563

This vid from Mike was with HH on yaw.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=760
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:39 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Tom...You are DA MAN... Thank you so much for your posts... You are a life saver....

So Tom...for the settings you posted before (which I blatenly copied to my 9CAP) you're running the Telebees to Channel 3? I'm thinking to set the gain of the 401 to channel 7 or something and assign it to one of the knobs so I can tune it with a knob. That should work right? Also. The telebee gyros should be set to Rate mode.. but is that done on the Gyro itself or is this done on the TX? One more probably stupid question. The Telebess have a pin for digital and analog servos...Which one should I be on when using the ESCs... and using the Hitec HS82 servo on the HK 401?

BTW..its a relief to hear that the weight of my tri is inline with what it should be...
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:02 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
OK... Major trouble shooting to do here. I set up the 9CAP as per Tom's instructions, programmed the ESC's as described. Connected the Gyros and all as per original instructions, Connected all three Telebee gains together and stuck them in Channel 3 on the RX.... Binded the Corona RX to the TX.... all I get is a bunch of beeping out of the motors and flashing lights on all the gyros. The yaw servo does not work either. Sometimes I get one or more of the telebees to light up sold (I tried turning the thing on and off many times). However, no way to spin the motors, no way to move the yaw servo...nothing , just beeping... Any ideas where I can start to troubleshoot this thing?
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Jan 24, 2010, 01:11 AM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post
OK... Major trouble shooting to do here. I set up the 9CAP as per Tom's instructions, programmed the ESC's as described. Connected the Gyros and all as per original instructions, Connected all three Telebee gains together and stuck them in Channel 3 on the RX.... Binded the Corona RX to the TX.... all I get is a bunch of beeping out of the motors and flashing lights on all the gyros. The yaw servo does not work either. Sometimes I get one or more of the telebees to light up sold (I tried turning the thing on and off many times). However, no way to spin the motors, no way to move the yaw servo...nothing , just beeping... Any ideas where I can start to troubleshoot this thing?
Try a different RX if you have something other than Corona, they have a built in delay that causes trouble arming.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:21 AM
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
I'm using the Eurgle

Hey Bob D, apparently I have the newer version of the Eurgle which shows “mode 1” instead of “model 1” on the display.

So what do you mean about the gyros not arming correctly?! Are you talking about the Telebee GR302-AD gyros? Those are the ones I’m using. My yaw gyro is a NEC GY400, which is very twitchy on the ground, but smoothes out fairly well once it’s air born.

I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but as far as I can tell, my gyros are arming correctly. I haven’t achieved a hands free hover yet, but darn close. She is very stable, even in fairly strong winds. Just small movements on the stick to hold her in place.(I was amazed)! Still tweaking the settings a little at a time, this is NOT like setting up a CP heli! Also this thing is WAY easier to fly then a CP heli!

Any further info on this gyro thing, or anything else on this TX, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
starz is offline Find More Posts by starz
Old Jan 24, 2010, 03:48 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,814 Posts
OK - Well found out tonight that my main frame is not rigid enough!

As soon as I added the extra weight for the video gear, it started to pulse its head off. Take the gear off, and it settled down. So after poking around and looking I noticed that there is quite a bit of "Bounce" in the main frame. GRRR!!!

I used 4mm ply, and I guess I should have thought about that before I went ahead with my build. I am going to try and and glue the 2 ply frames together and hope that stiffens it. I didn't realise I would have this much room, So I really don't need the second platform.

Oh yeah... FPV in this thing is NOT easy - it did not go well.

Cheers
-J
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2010, 04:24 AM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Mongrel
Do you have a bottom frame under the arms clamping onto them? Can't see from your pics. If not just add one and it'll stiffen-up.
Ad
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Jan 24, 2010, 04:59 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomcevac View Post
Mongrel
Do you have a bottom frame under the arms clamping onto them? Can't see from your pics. If not just add one and it'll stiffen-up.
Ad
Hi,

Yep - The arms are bolted to the bottom frame. The 4mm ply itself is flexing - so I am going to have to glue another one to it to stiffen it, or make a new one out of thicker ply!!

There is NO problem lifting the weight - just too much flex. But I will fix that. It will mean I should be able to increase my Gyro sensitivity and make it more stable.

I will post some video soon of just how stable these things are. Trouble is... nose in for me is a NIGHTMARE!! Just like my Blade400... I lose orientation and have to spin the tail around real quick or I will crash.

At least it would be easy to fix.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2010, 05:09 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbee View Post
I have the DX7. Could you please show me how to set it up step by step? Thanks.

Tbee
OK... Here is what I have on my DX7.

You first need to make sure you set it up for HELI and you set a 120 swash after that, this is what I have.

I used this wiring method for mine, and have all of the GYRO gains connected to the GEAR channel. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2924785

The I have the DX7 programmed like this...

start with a LINEAR pitch curve and then adjust it to soften your hover accordingly.

Set this up in Swash. You will know when you are in the screen because you will see all these values on the screen at the same time.

AILE +40
ELEV+40
PIT +70

TRAVEL ADJUST on GEAR
I have them both set at 80%

Then just adjust your EXP and travel of AIL, ELE, RUD to suit your flying style.

My Tail Gyro is manually adjusted with the pot on the gyro and I reckon it is about 70%, but I need to add more.

I hope this helps

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2010, 06:26 AM
Flying with the eagles
Eagle's nest
Joined Nov 2008
2,121 Posts
Dihedral reduced thrust and pendulum effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
I'm not getting enough endurance from my 3s 2200 battery running on Turnigy SK motors, only 4 mins. This motor is rated for 3s and 4s.
My guess is the thrust is not optimal for 3s, this motor requires 4s to shine.
It requires 75% throttle (on the pitch curve) to hover with a 6 oz payload and endurance is 4 mins.

But 4s would mean greater weight and change to a 4s lipo alarm.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7707
Partly the reduced thrust is due to the dihedral angle on the motors. I have about 5 deg of it.

And dihedral makes the tricopter act funny.
Let me describe. I put it in forward flight. Then I pull back to slow it down to a hover. Instead of levelling out, it slightly overshoots into forward flight again. Sort of a pendulum thing. Next time I'll try with less "braking" and let it settle down into a hover.
etman is offline Find More Posts by etman
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:04 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,814 Posts
Hello lads,

Here is the second flight of the Tri. It is still very windy, but you can see how, when I keep the weight down, it is VERY stable.

Flight 2 of the Tri Copter (0 min 45 sec)

Cheers
-J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:54 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Hello lads,

Here is the second flight of the Tri. It is still very windy, but you can see how, when I keep the weight down, it is VERY stable.

Cheers
-J
Very nice. I have not ordered the parts yet, but I am thinking of doing so. It's just that everytime I go to HC, they are out of stock on a part.

Anyway, I have the Spektrum radio (DX7) and I am watching your settings closely.

Are you using the Telebee gyro's?

I don't think HC has them anymore. I believe they have their rebranded versions, but I havent found any reports on how well they work yet.

One last question, how did you mount the main blade gripper? What did you screw it into for it to pivot and which main blade grip did you use?
jbfoamy is offline Find More Posts by jbfoamy