SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Hey Zeke ,send me a pm if you start your thread ,i have been screwing around with building foam planes all summer but a Ivans plan twin otter and laser cut parts from charlie have been sitting on my bench barking at me so its time to get back to balsa. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:15 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,184 Posts
I've got a Catalina sitting here in a box for a long time already.

It's got like a million pieces

Must get around to dusting it off and breaking out the glue some day...

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,184 Posts
...looks like today is that day...

Talk about baptism by fire - just cut out all the wing ribs, and my fingers are already sore.

Soooo... my question without notice is "what's the best glue to use?" i.e. to glue all the ribs and spars etc. together in the hope of ending up with a strong wing?

And do I use different glues for bulkheads in the fuze etc etc?

I know this is more of a build-thread question, but maybe someone in here can point me in the right direction without having to rummage through a heap of threads/posts...

BJ
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:51 AM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
851 Posts
How do we bring balsa building back? Well I have done my part, and there will probably be more like me as more Boomers retire. My best flying models are Kit built. My Florio Flyer 40 and my Stevens Shaft 25 are pure joy to fly. Although both are about the same size but because of the weight difference they are totally different and unique airplanes, and both are a joy to fly. I have a Balsa USA Smoothie kit but I am not allowed to start It until after I unwrap it at X Mas. I started out 7 years ago with RTF and ARF and learned to fly on them (I still love my 3DHS EBT) but since I have retired I can enjoy two hobbies in one (building and flying). John
jbrooks01 is online now Find More Posts by jbrooks01
Last edited by jbrooks01; Nov 19, 2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:06 AM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
...looks like today is that day...

Talk about baptism by fire - just cut out all the wing ribs, and my fingers are already sore.

Soooo... my question without notice is "what's the best glue to use?" i.e. to glue all the ribs and spars etc. together in the hope of ending up with a strong wing?

And do I use different glues for bulkheads in the fuze etc etc?

I know this is more of a build-thread question, but maybe someone in here can point me in the right direction without having to rummage through a heap of threads/posts...

BJ
In the balsa builder's subforum, there's a pretty thriving thread on glue selection... I advise you look there.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,079 Posts
I have a big box of wood, in my "cave" ... but, I'm not sure whether it contains a DV11, a Fokker E111, a Curtiss pusher or one of a half-dozen own designs that are rattling around in my head.

bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Last edited by bogbeagle; Nov 19, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:53 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,184 Posts
Starting to get a whole new respect for this balsa building thing - nothing fits.

The 5/8 wing spars are actually 11/16. The printing on the balsa goes from nice and thin to a rather large black smudge. Even the position of things on the plan don't line up with their corresponding marks on the wood

Some fudging is required to get things to more or less match their intended position, and each and every peice has to be modified to fit snugly.

I can easily see how those without time on their hands (and plenty of it) go for ARF/RTF...

BJ
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:26 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I use superglue for balsa on balsa fitting and epoxy for anything needing additional reinforcement such as wing roots, landing gear or bulkheads.

You'll also find that kits differ and will be better or worse than each other. Some brands are good - I very much like Stevens Aero and DJAeroTech - and some are just terrible and don't fly well OR build well.

Main thing is flying the finished plane and loving the hell out of it. Then when someone goes 'oh where did you get that?' you can proudly say 'its a kitplane. I built it.' Ha!

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,184 Posts
Thanks Bk.

I started the mid section of the wing tonight - and used CA to glue the ribs onto the bottom main spars (using my new cork 'build board' - quite chuffed how it turned out ).

But jeez, some of the bits don't line up well at all. The top spars are 1/4x1/4, but there's no way they're going to fit into the notches I cut according to the printing. And a the motor support ribs aren't within a bulls roar of where they should be.

I'm guessing that either the plan is a fairly hash job, or it's been distorted during printing etc.

Still, it's quite an education and kinda fun.

Lots of fiddling required to get parts to match, but I can see the thrill you must get out of the finised product - particularly if it flies well and looks good.

And yah, that "I built it" thing must be deep satisfaction if it all turns out ok

It's an interesting branch of the hobby, but I think the main drawback to getting people into it is the time required - and, of course, the skill and know-how.

We're probably a bit spoilt down here with flying available more or less 365 days of the year (ok, so Melbourne winters suck, but unless it's hosing down or blowing a hurricane, you can still get out if you really want to so long as you rug-up a bit).

I could see myself building a bit more if I was up there in the snow-country (e.g. Norway) where the winter would force you to be indoors a lot of the time.

Cosy fire, lots of balsa and plans etc. (and some Wodka for a night-cap)

BJ
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:41 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Old English saying regarding model aircraft kits:
Model aircraft kits comprise many small pieces of wood which, with much effort in selection,re-shaping, sanding and generally tinkering with over a plan that has little relationship to anything else in the kit box, can, with much effort, be assembled to loosely resemble the picture of the finished model on the box lid.

This, of course, slightly pre-dates computer programs where one waves a photo of a full sized plane over a scanner and, ten minutes later, a laser cutter spits out parts to produce an almost scale model reduced to balsa wood pieces.

Now, if we can teach those systems to recognise the actual thickness of balsa as used in each kit and not by some sloppy method such as unwrapping a boxful of '1/16" thick balsa'?

Regards

Dereck
Who hasn't actually had a hobby buyer ask him where he bought that model from, but has gotten pretty close...
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,184 Posts
Wow!

I never realised that there isn't a single build thread/youtube vid for this EasyBuilt PBY-5 Catalina.

I'm stuck on the wing joins - and there ain't nothing out there to help me (the "manual" kinda sucks).

This is going to get interesting...

BJ
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,184 Posts
...there is now BJ - check this out

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post23348592

BJ
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle View Post
I have a big box of wood, in my "cave" ... but, I'm not sure whether it contains a DV11, a Fokker E111, a Curtiss pusher or one of a half-dozen own designs that are rattling around in my head.

Hey Bobeagle- you and I definitely like the same kinds of airplanes! I don't have a DVII... yet! Maybe folks will wanna builds these!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:36 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,815 Posts
Nice planes! Tell us more about the Bleriot!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:19 AM
Living in the south of France
Joined Aug 2011
489 Posts
Nice planes Arup, what did you build these planes from (don't say Balsa ) plans, kits ?, i am on a Balsa USA 80" Fokker eindecker (after my smaller one was shot down) the quality is Fantastic it's probably the best quality kit that i have ever built, and if it flies as well as the smaller one,,,

I built a Bleriot about 20 years ago (all spruce no balsa) and it was S******t to fly and needless to say it didn't last long what is yours like to fly ?.
paulinfrance is online now Find More Posts by paulinfrance
Closed Thread