New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by nokiasixteth
Joined Mar 2015
10 Posts
Discussion
1 motor spins when i hook up battery not paired or anything

I have the hubsan 107c with the .3 mp camera. New to all the things like that . Changed out the motors because i noticed when it flew it was unlevel and 2 motors were clicking. I soldered it last night . Everything was good on the first flight . Put my sd card in clicked the record . Was flying and it just dropped like a rock . I picked it up the front light were blinking like they do when you hook up the battery and its not paired . And now 1 motor will spin by its self without being paired. Im new to this so anyone who may could help . Feel free to.
nokiasixteth is offline Find More Posts by nokiasixteth
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2015, 04:38 PM
Find More Posts by Waterbound
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
4,062 Posts
usually when a motor spins just by hooking up power, it means a FET is burned up. This is usually caused during crashes where the throttle is applied but the motor cannot spin, the result is that the FET will blow.

knowing that you replaced the motors, make sure you didn't pinch or crimp a wire when placing the shell back on as well. also make sure you soldered the motor leads correctly.
Waterbound is offline Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Old Mar 20, 2015, 05:57 PM
Joined Mar 2015
10 Posts
I looked havent seen any crimped wires or wires that were hooked up wrong . Took the screws out and checked nothing looks odd but im not real sure what im looking at either. I tried it with another motor and touched it to where it solders up . And both motors spin just not as quick.

Fet. Is that a part that can be replaced or am i up the creek on that?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by ohaya
Joined Apr 2013
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
I looked havent seen any crimped wires or wires that were hooked up wrong . Took the screws out and checked nothing looks odd but im not real sure what im looking at either. I tried it with another motor and touched it to where it solders up . And both motors spin just not as quick.

Fet. Is that a part that can be replaced or am i up the creek on that?

I agree with Waterbound. I had exactly the same symptom as you, but with a DM007, and it was one of the MOSFET chips went bad.

I don't have an H107C, but I do have an H107L, and assuming it is similar, the MOSFETs would be 3 pin chips, with one pin on one side and 2 pins on the other.

This post has pics of my H107L board. The MOSFETs are the 4 chips on the left side of the right pic:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=22

Post pics of both sides of the board from your H107C and someone can help identify which are the MOSFETs and if you identify which motor is running, then we might be able to figure out which MOSFET.

Since the chips are surface-mount, it'd be easiest to change if you have a heat gun, but if it is the 3-pin MOSFET, it might be possible to change with a soldering iron.

Jim
ohaya is online now Find More Posts by ohaya
Old Mar 20, 2015, 07:48 PM
Joined Mar 2015
10 Posts
Heres some pictures of the boards . Dont know how to describe . Just re soldiered the motor wires to where they came off.

The motor that spins is the 1 with the rubber piece off.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by ohaya
Joined Apr 2013
518 Posts
I've circled the chips that are the MOSFETs.

Each of them will drive one of the motors, so you'll need to try to ohm from the motors to the MOSFETs to figure out which MOSFET goes with the motor that is running all the time.

Then, replace the MOSFET and see if that fixes the problem.

It looks like the MOSFETs are marked "2310" so they're probably equivalent to something like this:

http://www.vishay.com/docs/67036/sq2310es.pdf
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:35 AM
Joined Mar 2015
10 Posts
Thanks . I have a multimeter somewhere around here . Ill try google and find out how to use it to find ohm . I think it has a way to test ohms .
I see the board looks like it has positive and negative. Would I just basically stick the probes on + and - on the silver side of mosfet and then go to the motor to see if the ohm is equivalent ?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by ohaya
Joined Apr 2013
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiasixteth View Post
Thanks . I have a multimeter somewhere around here . Ill try google and find out how to use it to find ohm . I think it has a way to test ohms .
I see the board looks like it has positive and negative. Would I just basically stick the probes on + and - on the silver side of mosfet and then go to the motor to see if the ohm is equivalent ?
Hi,

Most meters have a setting where it "beeps" when the points that the probes are on are shorted together.

When I said "ohm around" I meant that you want to find to which of the MOSFETs the motor that runs all the time is connected to, so you will want to put the meter into that "continuity" mode, put one of the probes on one of the pins where one of the motor leads go to and the other probe on each of the pins of each of the MOSFETs, until you hear a beep.

The beep means that pin on that MOSFET is connected to that pin which is connected to that motor, so you know that that MOSFET is the one that is acting badly.

I would first desolder one of the wires that goes from the motor that runs, from the board first, before you do the above exercise.

The reason for this is the motor is basically a short from its + to its - side, so if you leave both motor leads connected to the board before you go ohming around, you can get some false positives.

So, to summarize:

1) Desolder one of the motor leads from the board (doesn't matter which one).

2) Set your meter to continuity.

3) Put one meter lead on one pin of one of the MOSFETs.

4) Put the other meter lead on one of the places on the board that the motor connects (or connected) to.

5) Listen for a beep.

6) If no beep, repeast 3 - 5 until you've checked every combination.

When you find a beep, then that tells you that you want to try to replace that MOSFET.

Phew !!

It's a lot easier to do than to explain how to do !!

Jim

EDIT:

I forgot to mention:

See the "top view" drawing on this PDF:

http://www.vishay.com/docs/67036/sq2310es.pdf

That shows you how the pins are located when you look at the MOSFET chip from the top of it, ok?

Pin 1 (or "G") is the "gate" pin. You can skip ohming to that pin on the 4 MOSFETs since that is an INPUT to the MOSFET and you are only looking for which output pin is going to your running motor.

So that'll reduce the number of pins you need to ohm ...
Old Mar 21, 2015, 03:43 PM
Joined Jun 2013
4,062 Posts
ohaya that is some great diagnostics written there should be a sticky somewhere

I think the wiring is problematic as well, if you look at the battery leads the positive looks to be half there, that would not result in the problem you are seeing but it might cause issues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2015, 05:14 PM
Joined Mar 2015
10 Posts
Aight . I turned the multi meter where when I touched them togather it beeped . I went to the mosfets . This one I found beeped when I touched the front and back . Its raining out so I cant really hear that great in the shop (rain on tin). I went to DG and bought a magnifying glass and looked .

Yeah . The positive had came off so I soldered it back on . 1rst time ever using a soldering iron. I will shave some more wire off and resolder it back on.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:29 PM
Joined Mar 2015
10 Posts
So basically that tiny thing is my problem? Where is the cheapest place to get one like that
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:38 PM
Joined Jun 2013
4,062 Posts
Do a search on mosFET replacement, basically if you are inexperienced with soldering this is probably not something you want to try and tackle
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:17 PM
Joined Mar 2015
10 Posts
So new board may be best. Yeah that was the first time soldering.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 05:47 PM
Joined Mar 2015
10 Posts
ebay bout the best place to get the boards ?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 08:09 AM
Joined Mar 2015
10 Posts
The new board fixed it right up.