Old Feb 09, 2015, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by crazygary
crazygary
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Aug 2011
309 Posts
Help!
DD-652 Fletcher

Am looking to build a 1/125 Fletcher destroyer, and will be modeling the USS Ingersoll, as she's a fellow Vietnam vet!

Numerous refits took place before she departed San Diego, and am hoping to gain some knowledge as to just what, exactly, these refits consisted of.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Thanks, in advance.

crazygary
crazygary is offline Find More Posts by crazygary
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2015, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by jeno
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
You might want to check out Navsource.
Fair number of pics, including her rudder and shafts in drydock.
jeno is offline Find More Posts by jeno
Old Feb 10, 2015, 04:16 AM
Find More Posts by Harquebus
I see all your typos
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,272 Posts
Are you converting the Lindberg Blue Devil? I've seen someone do a FRAM can conversion of the same kit which was nice as it was something different.

I don't know if they were in the exact same configuration for post-war duties, but the USS Cassin Young (DD-793) might be worth researching as she still exists as a museum ship.

EDIT: Also the USS The Sullivans (DD-537). You can walk the decks of both...
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Altering the Tug Hull
Old Feb 10, 2015, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by Navy2000
Just north of Tampa, Fl.
Joined Jan 2009
254 Posts
Why not just go with a 1/96 scale. Scale Shipyard makes them with many parts and fittings, I also think that he makes a shaft set as well. Might be worth the look you never know.

Here is the link:
http://scaleshipyard.com/Main%20Pages/main.html

Also Lee the owner knows many things about what was done to many ships as far as the refits and so on.

Duane
Navy2000 is offline Find More Posts by Navy2000
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by Rebel 1
Joined Sep 2012
156 Posts
Lee at SSY has some nice products, but I wasn't happy with the 1/96 scale Fletcher hull I purchased from him. Lees hulls are made to order and his web site says up to 8 weeks delivery on your paid in full order. But depending on how busy he is it could take a very long time to receive your order.

SSY doesn't have all the required fitting for the Fletcher. I purchased many fittings and PE sets from John R Haynes. But since John closed his online store his fitting inventory is being sold out at the Floating Drydock and a place in the UK that mainly carries his HMS line of 1/96 scale fittings. Many items were used on USN and HMS warships throughout WW-II. The UK store has some shared fittings and PE sets that could be used on a Fletcher Class Destroyer.

Check John R. Haynes web site for links to the last few online companies selling his fittings. Last but not least, when the fittings are gone all of us interested in WW-II 1/96 scale warships will be forced to do a lot of scratch building or choose an alternate ship model to build.
Rebel 1 is offline Find More Posts by Rebel 1
Last edited by Rebel 1; Feb 16, 2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 01:15 PM
Joined Sep 2012
156 Posts
There are a couple very knowledgeable guys at the Ship Model Forum (SMF) Calling All Fletcher Class Fans: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...hp?f=49&t=8105

This thread has many pages to look through and there are many images that you may have never seen online as well. Rick E. Davis has acquired a vast knowledge on the Fletchers and other DD's the USN used during WW-II and Korea. Rick will answer your questions usually with a couple photos and a lengthy message. Rick has given me photos I couldn't find online. He has visited to the National Archives countless times and found many photos he shares at the SMF. Just about every type of warship has its own Calling All Fans Thread. Check it out and see what you find that interests you.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 03:15 AM
Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,406 Posts
Don't forget the 1/72 Aquacraft ARTR Fletcher.... there are numerous fittings about that can be used to superdetail her.
Scalewarship in the UK does detailed resin turrets with brass barrels, plus other bits and Hannant's website stocks a stack of PE for the 1/72 Revell Flower class corvette that could be easily used on the Fletcher.

Bruce

Edit: Just read on the 1/72 Fletcher thread that these aren't available yet.......August apparently now!
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Last edited by HeavyCruser9; Feb 16, 2015 at 03:23 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:00 AM
Joined Sep 2012
156 Posts
You got that right HeavyCruser9. Who knows when it will finally be out for sale. Hopefully, they make enough to go around, I think its going to be a very hot item. Check out the last post on this link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2070291&page=3
Old Feb 17, 2015, 03:37 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,406 Posts
Well I hope they turn up as one of the boys has one on order thru the Ozzie distributor! I almost ordered one but the tax man needed my money more!

I have since started something else....

Bruce
Old Feb 17, 2015, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by crazygary
crazygary
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Aug 2011
309 Posts
Many thanks to all of you who answered my "mayday"!! Hah!!

I have located quite a bit of good info regarding the Ingersoll, and her post-1951 weapons refits. All I need to do now, is to get ahold of a few twin 3-inch 50-cal gun mounts, and the proper fire control directors. Such "animals" in 1/125 is a "not-gonna-happen" thing, so, I may be stuck going with 1/96, although they would be a bit too big. 1/144 would be a much better option, but gain....can't find what I'm looking for in that scale!!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!!

And, yes, Harq!! I am starting with the Lindberg "Blue Devil" kit!! Big beastie she is!!

crazygary
crazygary is offline Find More Posts by crazygary
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:37 AM
I see all your typos
Joined Jan 2006
1,272 Posts
Looks like you're in for a lot of scratchbuilding which actually seems a lot less daunting for a Vietnam-era Fletcher. She wouldn't be as bristling with AA guns and such as she was in WWII config.

There are or was a line of fittings available in 1/128 scale which is popular in the UK. You might look there. I've heard John R Haynes does that scale too but according to this thread he does not list them on his website, preferring that you email him. Those fittings on second look might be WWII USN only....

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...8554&start=120

Since the Bofors guns on the Blue Devil are too large/out of scale, it might serve you well to cannibalize them to make your own 3" 50 cal guns and such.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2015, 08:34 PM
Joined Sep 2012
156 Posts
Hi Harquebus,
That's actually my build thread of the USS Haggard DD-555 I'm using the Blue Devil kit. John Haynes was building a 1/128 scale warship and I bought everything he had that suited my needs. The fittings you see on my thread are all for WW-II. I'm not sure if John had what Gary needs for the Ingersoll as she was fitted for the Vietnam War. Not to mention that John R. Haynes has closed his online store more than a year ago.

Toms PE set for the Blue Devil is fitted to the kit parts which are all over scale. The 5inch Guns on the Blue Devil are closer to 1/96 scale than 1/125th the Blue Devil is supposed to be. My new plan is to cut back some of the details I was planning for my build so I can finish it and more on to my next project.

Happy scratch building Gary
Old Feb 20, 2015, 02:22 AM
I see all your typos
Joined Jan 2006
1,272 Posts
This is not the first time I have referenced your build before and a search for Lindberg Blue Devil always seems to put your build log in the results. A fantastic effort and I would not have guessed that you were not finished. Press on, man, press on.

The news isn't so great for our resident crazy man. The fittings were indeed WWII era so they would not have made a difference anyway.

At least the brass replacement 5" barrels are still available... http://www.bdbarrels.com/
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2015, 06:08 PM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,406 Posts
JR Haynes stuff is still available you just have to order thru your local distributor....
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCruser9 View Post
JR Haynes stuff is still available you just have to order thru your local distributor....
Yes that's true. But expect to pay a higher price than buying direct from John Haynes. I'm sure the stock of some items is already sold out. If you're at all interested in USN WW-II 1/96 scale warships, buy now before what you want/need is sold out.