New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2015, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,416 Posts
Build Log
Old timer

I acquired an Old Timer airframe from a flyer on a trade. This is an old model that was built from a kit made by Great Planes. The builder of this model did a great job in building the model and covered it in a fabric like Stits covering. This covering is kind of like silk and dope but is a nylon fabric that is much stronger.

The only issue I had with the design is that it is a three-channel model (rudder, elevator and throttle). I immediately decided to convert this model to electric AND add ailerons.

My first issue was to determine where and how to cut out the ailerons. I found some articles that said the ailerons should be 15-20% of the wing cord for 1/3 span ailerons. The area that I chose for the ailerons turned out to be about 15% so I started the modification. It was very hard to make the first cut into a perfectly constructed wing but it had to be done to add ailerons.

Here are some photos of my starting efforts for this project.
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2015, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by RickAvery
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,144 Posts
I know what you mean about cutting into a virgin part. I just added flaps to an ARF and did the same thing. Think about it from every angle you can come up with, then, you just have to got for it. Good luck with your project! Blue skies.

Rick
RickAvery is offline Find More Posts by RickAvery
Old Jan 20, 2015, 05:03 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,416 Posts
Once I cutout the aileron, the next step was to build up the leading edge of the actual aileron and also install a brace across the hole in the wing where the aileron was cut out. Here is a photo of the wing brace to cover the hole. I will add a similar brace to the leading edge of the aileron that I cut out.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 08:11 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,416 Posts
Got the aileron and wing covered. Here is a test fit of the aileron into the wing. Looks pretty good. I might add some white covering on the aileron to match the wing design.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 08:32 AM
Find More Posts by RickAvery
Moorpark, Ca.
Joined Apr 2004
1,144 Posts
Looks like a nice job! Would look cool with some white added to match the scheme! Where's the servos going? Here's my completed wing with the added flaps inboard. It's all but impossible to match the OEM covering. I have 3 different shades of white and none matched exactly. Blue skies!

Rick
RickAvery is offline Find More Posts by RickAvery
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:58 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAvery View Post
Looks like a nice job! Would look cool with some white added to match the scheme! Where's the servos going? Here's my completed wing with the added flaps inboard. It's all but impossible to match the OEM covering. I have 3 different shades of white and none matched exactly. Blue skies!

Rick
Thanks, I will try out some white to see how it looks. The servos are going in between the first two ribs forward of the aileron. I will post some pictures as I "cutout" yet another hole in the beautiful covering.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:18 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,416 Posts
Servo Cutout

Pulled out the #11 blade and took to the wing like a surgeon. I cutout the hole in the wing covering for rhe servo tray and a hole for the servo lead at the center of the wing. then I dropped in the snake (string with a weight on the end) and it fell through the holes in the ribs with no problems.

I'm going to complete this side, including aileron testing, before I start on the other side. Just anxious to see it in action.

BTW - I'm using some old standard size Futaba servos from a previously stripped down plane. They work fine and will be perfect for this plane..
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:11 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,416 Posts
Cowl

Took a break from the aileron mod and started on fabricating a cowl for the open engine compartment. Here is the top half.