New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
Find More Posts by Sam234
United Kingdom, England, Royal Tunbridge Wells
Joined Dec 2012
59 Posts
New Product
New 808 #20 HD Key Fob Camera

Just got one of these from BestDVR (who makes them apparently)

Records in MOV or AVI (only tried MOV so far)

MOV:
Video:-
Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
Resolution: 1280x720
Frame rate: 30
Decoded format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV
Audio:-
Codec: PCM S16 LE (sowt)
Channels: Mono
Sample rate: 32000 Hz
Bits per sample: 16

Main changes to previous models, 4 indicator lamps & uses a micro USB port.
Has 4 new modes:

Repeated stills (3) possible in still mode.
Sound Recorder
Motion Detection Recording
Driving Recorder

Initial test show video quality very close to 808 #15 but with better low light sensitivity. Sound much the same. The .mov recordings take around half the space of the #15 .avi recordings. I`ve not examined the dropped frame rate (if any) yet.

Problems encountered: Recoding onto a class 4 card works fine, but onto a class 6 card it records just approx 1 minute then appears to crash!

I`ll report any further problems/solutions as they arise.
Sam234 is offline Find More Posts by Sam234
Last edited by Sam234; Dec 18, 2012 at 06:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by Pilot Ray
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Hi
I just saw your post about the new #20 keychain camera and have been debating about buying one since seeing them on eBay recently. I was just wondering if you could post a sample video from the #20 camera. I’ve been debating on whether to buy the new #20 camera or the #16 camera.

Ray
Pilot Ray is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Ray
Last edited by Pilot Ray; Dec 11, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
59 Posts
I'll put one up in a day or two.

I've done some more tests, switched to AVI, same video encoding method used.
With avi records onto class 6 card without issue.

Editing: AVI is broken & has to be converted first, MOV struggles so would be best converted too. Both feature around a 3 second gap between recordings, whether 20 min or 2 min.

I believe BestDVR is working on these & expects to fix with a firmware update.

On the plus side, I found no dropped frames in either mode.
Last edited by Sam234; Dec 11, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Hi Sam234
Going by your initial reports the #20 keychain camera seems like its looking pretty promising so far. If the #20 camera has very minimal or no dropped frames that will definitely be a big plus for making good videos. I read on eBay that the #20 keychain camera supposedly can record videos up to 50 minutes long on 1280x720 (and up to 70 minutes on 640x480). If those video record times prove to hold up that will be great. Also if the manufacture is actively working on firmware updates, thatís another big plus. Hopefully video quality is pretty good with #20 camera. Looking forward to seeing your sample video.

Ray
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
59 Posts
Tested today in good & moderate lighting I could detect no dropped frames (#15 has 50% dropped under same conditions), at dusk it exhibited about 20% dropped frames (still attached) this rose to close to 60% in very low light conditions when a number of stuck pixels also became apparent.

Video & stills have no aspect ratio distortion, but stills are 4/3 ratio & are cropped v video frame. Still attached was taken in 3MB mode, I have video at same location, but cannot tell how to upload (perhaps I`m too new here). The 2nd image is a snapshot from the video at the same location (timestamp smaller & at extreme edge).

Battery life: The best I`ve had so far is 45mins, normally 40, but that's doing tests under artificial light, may improve under normal lighting. It is definitely better than the #15, I believe the battery is larger.

Dimensions: 32.7x51.5x14.6mm Weight 18 grams.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Hi Sam234
I’m no expert with the 808 cameras or their internal functions, but from what I can see by looking at your #20 camera still photo and the snap shot from #20 video, the picture quality looks pretty good to me.

About battery run time; I think the battery run time may increase slightly after several charge up’s.

About uploading a video, maybe you could try using a video converter from freemake.com (it’s a free and good working converter) and it's located here; http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ . Once your #20 video is converted over you could then try uploading your video to www.youtube.com
I was kind of hoping to see a video from a #20 camera before buying one. I also was wondering how good the #20 video's will be when recording from something that is moving such as a moving car or on an RC airplane. I was wondering about that since I plan to use one on my RC airplane and was hoping the #20 would work pretty good on anything from a cloudy day to a sunny day.

Ray
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by victapilot
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,560 Posts
Got one today. Focus is not so good, but I might fix that. Vignetting may be due to lens not in the center, we'll see.

#20 Keyfob Camera BSDV0005.MOV (0 min 22 sec)

Same thing in Vimeo

BSDV0005 (0 min 21 sec)

Vignetting after reaming and chamfer of lens hole
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Dec 13, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Hi victapilot,
The #20 video quality looks pretty good so far and it looks to have good potential. When I watched your video, I watched it on the youtube screen using the HD 720p setting and put it on full screen. The video quality actually held up much better than I expected even though I watched it on full screen on my computer monitor.
I also like that the camera seems to be capturing a rather wide view with no noticeable lens distortion from what I could see.

I am kind of wondering how it compares to the 808 #16 camera. I was originally planning on buying the #16 camera until I saw the #20 camera on eBay.
I am also curious about the sound quality of the #20 and if it will record without much static.

From what I can see the #20 camera looks to be pretty promising so far.

Ray
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:58 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,560 Posts
Ray, I got lucky at Ebay auction and got a good price from Goods-sell for a bare bones model. No extra cables for video out etc. It was shipped from California, received in less than a week. It is a genuine BestDVR #20

The #16 has better firmware, I have one of them. The A lens is similar to the #20.

I'll do more testing of the #20 today

I checked availability today, and don't see any more at auction, and some have inflated shipping cost (mine shipped free), so beware!
Last edited by victapilot; Dec 14, 2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Seller was Goods-sell
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Dec 2012
59 Posts
Video

I won in auction too, not bad price, from BestDVR, only took 10days, I think he has European stock.

I bought the basic thing with just the usb data cable, but you can do powered recordings with that, as long as no data is sent from the port, ie a car usb charger.

Sound is pretty good compared to #15, here's the video.

New 808#20 Key Fob Camera test (0 min 20 sec)

It looses something on youtube, don't know how to make it upload better.
Last edited by Sam234; Dec 14, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:43 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,560 Posts
Here's a re-edited video, used the #20 as a capcam. Vignetting problem is much less now that I enlarged the lens hole.

I do see a lot of color shifting, like the #11. More on that later.

BF109 Pocket Rocket (1 min 40 sec)
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:11 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,560 Posts
Here's a quick video shows some color oversaturation and instability. Too bad it is short, it was a VERY interesting flight - flew with birds then lost a wing tip, landed the plane, but the camera quit early. Maybe need to cycle the battery, also reformat the card.

#20 Color Shift (0 min 18 sec)
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Here's a quick video shows some color oversaturation and instability.
I suppose the trouble is these have to have auto white balance & auto exposure, and its how responsive you make those functions.

Have you tried playing with the exposure setting?

I`m waiting for a spot of decent weather to test this with mine (lots of rain right now).
Last edited by Sam234; Dec 14, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:20 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam234 View Post
I suppose the trouble is these have to have auto white balance & auto exposure, and its how responsive you make those functions.

Have you tried playing with the exposure setting?

I`m waiting for a spot of decent weather to test this with mine (lots of rain right now).
Yeah, the #16 white balance can be locked, it is an advantage for AV. Hope the makers of this cam provide that option. I didn't try the exposure setting yet, just removed the date stamp.

Here's a color sample test, compare with others here. Not too bad at all
Last edited by victapilot; Dec 15, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:19 PM
Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,149 Posts
How does one lock the #16 while balance? That is a very nice feature. This camera looks interesting
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime