SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2015, 07:35 AM
Find More Posts by zcar300
IT-G33K
Joined Mar 2015
32 Posts
ok, so apparently everything I thought I knew about receivers was wrong. At this rate I'll be lucky to make this thing fly.
zcar300 is offline Find More Posts by zcar300
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2015, 09:26 AM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,774 Posts
If I understand correctly what's going on it's that the FC is capable of accepting several types of input. In the case of the CC3D, the acceptable protocols appear to be: CPPM, Spektrum serial (satellites), and SBus (Futaba and FrSky).

So there is no suggestion that any of the satellites (Spektrum, Orange, Lemon) put out PPM. Rather, some FCs are able to accept the serial date stream the satellite normally uses to communicate with the receiver.

One more consideration is that the Lemon PPM receiver puts out TAER while Orange R615X changes the order to AETR. This may or may not matter to the FC. If you have a transmitter that can change channel sequence, it can easily be fixed anyway.

I'm working to understand all this myself, as I have no direct experience with an FC. Hope this helps.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 17, 2015, 09:55 AM
IT-G33K
Joined Mar 2015
32 Posts
So do the receivers use "Spektrum serial" also, or just the satellites? In other words, can the receiver be plugged into the FC (cc3d) using only three wires? That's all I'm concerned about regardless of the terminology used.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:34 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcar300 View Post
So do the receivers use "Spektrum serial" also, or just the satellites? In other words, can the receiver be plugged into the FC (cc3d) using only three wires? That's all I'm concerned about regardless of the terminology used.
It depends which receiver. If you mean non-PPM, the answer is no.

The link between the satellite and the receiver is a one-way thing. The receiver can accept Spektrum serial from the satellite, but it doesn't have any way to share it with an FC.

That's why you need to use either a satellite (using Spektrum serial) or a receiver that can produce CPPM (or SBus if you use Futaba or FrSky).

It's critical to understand the terminology if you are to understand anything.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Apr 17, 2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:53 AM
IT-G33K
Joined Mar 2015
32 Posts
Well it's extremely hard to understand terminology when it's not properly documented. I never heard of Spektrum serial until this conversation. Yet I've seen plenty of people do step by step guides on how to connect receivers to flight controllers. And apparently some of those were wrong or misleading.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,482 Posts
With Naze32 it's a complete no-brainer. 3V from the right terminal on the FC, ground to ground and signal to pin 4. Select Spektrum Serial in BF/CF and 2048 for DSMX and 1024 for DSM2. Steal some Lego from the kids and make a nice foldable mount An Orange R110X in this example Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429293144.964036.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 190.2 KB
Description:
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:59 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,774 Posts
I agree, it's often hard and the information is not always reliable. But the choice is between going out and buying a package where someone else has figured out the issues and putting one together yourself, in which case you have to be prepared to search out the information and evaluate it.

The world of open source RC technology is a messy one that depends greatly on the interest and goodwill of enthusiasts sharing information. There are often calls for better documentation by people who forget that nearly everything beyond the basic instructions (if any!) is done by volunteers. So why don't the manufacturers do a better job of documentation? As always it's a matter of economics. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost as much to produce a good manual as to design a receiver!

Anyway, it's best to regard the learning curve as part of the fun and satisfaction of using this inexpensive technology, rather than as a barrier that unfortunately stands in the way. It's like in the old days, when building the model was one aspect of the hobby, while flying it was the other. I'm not sure being able to buy an ARF as we can now enhances the pleasure, though I do it like everyone else.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Apr 17, 2015 at 01:58 PM.