Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by iankbaxter
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
Mounting a Ducted Fan on a Pinewood Derby Car

So for Boy Scouts were having an "Ultimate Pinewood Derby" in which we can use any form of propulsion we want. I was considering a small EDF. I'm kind of na´ve when it comes to motors, ESCs, batteries, and all that stuff. I was thinking of mounting about a 40mm fan on my car, but I have a few questions. There are numerous obstacles in the course (Its a very strange pinewood derby, were not even using the track) so I will need to make it remote controlled. Should I buy a brushless or brushed motor (Isn't that synonymous to Alternating and Direct current?). Also, If the rules allow for flammable things (I doubt it however even though its outside), would it be wise to put 2 small Estes rockets on? (Most likely just "A" size, I don't want this thing to fly!) Thanks for the help, I'm lost when it comes to RC things.
iankbaxter is offline Find More Posts by iankbaxter
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2014, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by stegla
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,317 Posts
Hello Ian, welcome to this forum.

Rocket power would be so cool

EDF makes more practical sense as you can throttle the thing. A small brushless edf unit is what's needed, the size of the unit is dependent on the size and weight of the racer.

Can you tell us the size and the anticipated all-up-weight?

If they had Pinewood racing over here I would make something like this speed record holder. Don't just glue the fan-unit on to the top of the car, make a properly designed duct for maximum performance.

Steve
stegla is offline Find More Posts by stegla
Old Mar 29, 2014, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
7,900 Posts
After re-reading your post, I just had to delete my response. Having been a Scout Master for our local pack., boys 7 to 11 or 12, just do not have the skill or kind of money your talking to build this "propossed " car.. Sounds like a hoax to me. Just plain B.S.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Mar 30, 2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 03:49 PM
Find More Posts by stegla
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,317 Posts
Or something like this?

I hear that a lot of people are messing with 'outlaw' cars just for fun.

Maybe a high-powered 30mm brushless setup would be the way to go? Using a 3cell Lipo pack.

Steve
stegla is offline Find More Posts by stegla
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:01 AM
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Thanks for replying guys, I really appreciate it. I got to get to building this car! According to my scoutmaster, the regular pinewood derby weight and size rules don't apply. Really, the only thing that makes it the pinewood derby is that we start with the pinewood block, and who knows what it will be when you're done. I like the designs that you posted with the jet car.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:07 AM
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iankbaxter View Post
Thanks for replying guys, I really appreciate it. I got to get to building this car! According to my scoutmaster, the regular pinewood derby weight and size rules don't apply. Really, the only thing that makes it the pinewood derby is that we start with the pinewood block, and who knows what it will be when you're done. I like the designs that you posted with the jet car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
After re-reading your post, I just had to delete my response. Having been a Scout Master for our local pack., boys 7 to 11 or 12, just do not have the skill or kind of money your talking to build this "propossed " car.. Sounds like a hoax to me. Just plain B.S.
BTW I'm 14. We are not Cub scouts, we are Boy Scouts- 13- 18 that want to have fun. I doubt 7 year olds would be able to mount a ducted fan.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:30 AM
Joined Dec 2008
7,900 Posts
I think your use of "Ultimate Pinewood Derby" is kind of desiptive. That threw me off, as Pinewood Derbys are for Cub Scouts.

Certainly not your conventional Pinewood Derby car kit, for sure. They don't steer.
What are your rules , if any? Size-Weight, etc? They must have to be much larger to add all those components!

Just so you know, I to was a Boy Scout, ---EAGLE
Old Mar 30, 2014, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by Bare
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
8,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iankbaxter View Post
BTW I'm 14. We are not Cub scouts, we are Boy Scouts- 13- 18 that want to have fun. I doubt 7 year olds would be able to mount a ducted fan.
Disagree..
ALL that it actually takes to mount a DF is a couple of winds of Masking tape .
Battery, esc, etc just plugs into itself. Access to the bits is the only question .
A Few $ (not too many actually) removes that obstacle neatly.
Real issues come with trying to steer it.. and everything associated.
There is a Reason that Pinewood cars use their purpose designed track
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 30, 2014, 03:47 PM
Joined Dec 2008
7,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iankbaxter;27939330
BTW I'm 14. We are not Cub scouts, we are Boy Scouts- 13- 18 that want to have fun.
One time --a long, long time ago , I was in that age group--- Back in the 60's we didn't have rocket motors or EDF's. It Sounds like fun, but I imagine that this might be the only year that the troop will do this, because of injuries! I know what Boy Scouts- 13- 18 that want to have fun can lead up to!!.

And it's not good!!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by corsair nut
fly like an EAGLE ;)
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
26,034 Posts
I built one and smoked everybody lol. I used a 6blade wattage rotor and a tiny 3s with a 2000 Kv out runner mounted on the back. No shroud.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 31, 2014, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by pdawg
Need 4 Speed!
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
I built one and smoked everybody lol. I used a 6blade wattage rotor and a tiny 3s with a 2000 Kv out runner mounted on the back. No shroud.
LOLů Sounds like this Boyscout event is really for the fathers to relive their youth!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Visiting Edwards AFB
Old Apr 06, 2014, 12:12 PM
Joined Mar 2014
6 Posts
Sorry I was gone for awhile guys, I was in the Black Hills . Ok, lets forget that this is a pinewood derby. Lets call it a mini RC car race. I think the only reason we are calling it the "Ultimate Pinewood Derby" Is because we have the option to start with the pinewood block. Heck, we could make it into a plane, it doesn't matter. As long as its homemade and can drive fast. I plan to make mine remote controlled. How do I connect the EDF to a remote control, ESC, and battery. Because there is a course, I need to make it steer somehow. Should I use a rudder behind the fan, or would sacrificing the front wheels off a mini RC car work? My budget runs about $60 and under, as it won't only be used for the race.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by Bruze
Joined Jul 2015
11 Posts
What is the race surface going to be? If it is a paved or hard packed area why not a hovercraft? 1 fan with an esc wired to throttle on a receiver and a servo to operate a rudder. You could use the one fan to create the lift and forward motion with a slit in your duct directing a portion down into a skirt.
Bruze is offline Find More Posts by Bruze
Last edited by Bruze; Jul 23, 2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: nvm noticed the thread date as I hit post lol
Old Sep 07, 2015, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by Air Head
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jan 2005
2,558 Posts
Launch it with a sling shot
Air Head is online now Find More Posts by Air Head
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by richrebel1
Joined Nov 2015
1 Posts
I have built a few, but with brushed motors. I am currently working on a brushless version, when I have time.
richrebel1 is offline Find More Posts by richrebel1