New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2015, 04:41 PM
Find More Posts by StarHopper44
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
8,204 Posts
Oh hey .... it'd slipped my mind but I just remem'd I'd snapped a few fotos during all this saga I can share for whatever interest.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2015, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by AllThumbs
Segelflugzeug esgeht nach oben
Virginia - Birthplace of Presidents
Joined Jan 2003
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Wellll....if you're that bored..........
I s'pose it's kind of on topic since a Masala (or Rose by any other name ) is what came to his rescue. What might be learnt I haven't demised - but here's the tale & I'll let you gather what you will from it.

First Mystique was a full-house one - the 4-servo wing, bought 2d-hand but reportedly unflown. Maidening, launched, & apparently while climbing the lipo got loose & shifted CG to a basically uncontrollable point. From the moment he pushed over at the top it was bucking around all over the sky like a hooked marlin. In trying to horse it back over the field & get it down, he'd made it almost to one side of the runway & it suddenly snapped in from about 40'. Basically, near lawn-dart but landed on her chin. Very breaky angle. Totaled.

#2 was the RES verson, the 'Goldie', found in our local-est hobby shop's rafters, bought it to repair #1 but found enough structural differences to nix that project; ergo built out per standard RES. Maidened it, beautiful. 2nd flight, after launch & climb out he turned his back for a sec to find his chair, & the plane chose that moment to stall & dive. He caught it in plenty of time, pulled out of the dive & everything looked cool but just as the plane started to climb back up the right wing taco'd. It did a crazy spiral down flipping around the good wing, pancaked from about 100'. Totaled. We later discovered this was an old Version 1 Mystique, without the Ver2 D-box. You could see the marks where the end of the aluminum wing spar tube actually did the cutting thru the supporting wood. For that one, HH is sending him a replacement.

If it'll learn ya anything, be advised he had a good long flight with the maiden of the RES, so got a good feel for how it flies. He's now not excited about opening the box & building another RES Mystique because he likes the way the Masala flies so much better.
Would that be Airman74's (Jerry in Chico CA) story of two Mystiques going in? Or is there another unfortunate story ....?

? or
AllThumbs is offline Find More Posts by AllThumbs
Old Sep 07, 2015, 08:49 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,204 Posts
O noooooz.....not another double Mystique loss!! No, this happened at our club field & we're 'Down East' here in good ol' NC. But dayummm....givin' me 2nd thoughts about dragging mine down out of the rafters & maidening it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2016, 02:52 PM
Find More Posts by raceredg
PITTSBURGH
Joined Jul 2002
128 Posts
A heads up to those on this thread. I am going to be listing a set of Masala wings on the sailplane for sale fourm in the next day or so.
The wings are in real good shape and will include 4 hs 85s
Ed
raceredg is offline Find More Posts by raceredg
Old Mar 27, 2016, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by Gliderhead
United States, CT, Norwalk
Joined Sep 2013
18 Posts
Raceredg ...

Did you ever put those Masala wings up for sale ??
Gliderhead is offline Find More Posts by Gliderhead
Old Mar 27, 2016, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by raceredg
PITTSBURGH
Joined Jul 2002
128 Posts
Yes I sold the wings and stabs. Still have the fuse
raceredg is offline Find More Posts by raceredg
Old Mar 28, 2016, 09:40 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,204 Posts
Just got my Masala back last night. Tragic ending for my good friend I'd loaned it to - the one who lost 2 Mystiques as told above. He suffered a massive coronary & passed away mid-December. Finally got permission thru the family to go thru his workshop & recover the Masala & Epsilon. Anyway. a question for you knowledgeable owners. We couldn't find the wing spars. One of the two had both a carbon-fiber & a metal rod (for light lift & windy conditions). Can one of you please advise me what the Masala came equipped with, both in dimensions and material? Also, a source for it would be very good to have if someone could provide one. I've been 'out of touch' with them so long I honestly can't remember which was what with both gliders, but am very eager to get 'em back in the sky. Very much appreciate any help, & thanks in advance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2016, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
4,028 Posts
I had to replace mine when I misplaced it....$40 for a 1 meter rod, metric dimension, but for the life of me I can't remember where I got it.
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by Charlescd
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
770 Posts
www.icare-rc.com

He has different rod sizes in stock.
Charlescd is online now Find More Posts by Charlescd
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:12 PM
Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Multi-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
4,992 Posts
CST Composites as well
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Mar 29, 2016, 04:25 PM
Joined May 2010
770 Posts
I just measured mine. It's solid carbon 375mm x 12 mm.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 02:01 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,204 Posts
Thanks a mill, Charles. By "solid carbon" you mean a rod, rather'n a tube, right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2016, 05:09 AM
Joined May 2010
770 Posts
Yes a rod.