HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Feb 05, 2016, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by Liberty10
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
7,245 Posts
No, This is not an ATC issue. The 30 nm radius around that airport is to protect the Capital of the US from terrorists. (yeah I know, crazy right!) It was not meant to stop model aircraft from flying but it was very badly worded and well lawyers got involved and now we are waiting for a waiver to be issued. Rumor is that could happen any day.
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2016, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by sr175
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
Cf plate , ca, gorilla and wood glue... i tried everything.

I had the motor box kit but i didn't want to mess the plane up, now there's no strength in it, the area is wonky and it came to a point that the plane needed surgery.

This was before i rip everything out.
At some point if you have a motor box kit then it may be best to just replace that in its entirety. Generally take out the guts that the MB replaces and you just open the outer sides up put guts in and glue together. The outside of the plane they do not include so some fab required there. Over generalization I know. Just got done on the 74 and just doing the whole thing was much easier than messing with it. I know, there are many opinions on this but.... This plane is only $179 here in us so not sure how much over seas. Something to consider. Not that I would normally condone the whole buying new one every time but this is one of the cheaper airframes. Too much is done where many can be fixed with some time and thrown away.
sr175 is offline Find More Posts by sr175
Old Feb 05, 2016, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by ckleanth
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
3,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr175 View Post
At some point if you have a motor box kit then it may be best to just replace that in its entirety. Generally take out the guts that the MB replaces and you just open the outer sides up put guts in and glue together. The outside of the plane they do not include so some fab required there. Over generalization I know. Just got done on the 74 and just doing the whole thing was much easier than messing with it. I know, there are many opinions on this but.... This plane is only $179 here in us so not sure how much over seas. Something to consider. Not that I would normally condone the whole buying new one every time but this is one of the cheaper airframes. Too much is done where many can be fixed with some time and thrown away.
Yea but the issue is the two last struts/formers that I have asked for dimensions are not included in the MB kit. No way im throwing away a good airframe. My little extra is special..
ckleanth is offline Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Feb 05, 2016, 10:07 PM
Joined Mar 2011
3,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo View Post
ckleanth, based on the drawing you have posted I get 44mm including the tab for the side dimension. Tab is 2mm.

I get approximately 96mm for the width of the bottom of the middle strut. My plane is together so I measured the bottom in front of the main gear and subtracted 4mm.
thanks.

thanks all. I now have everything I need
Old Feb 06, 2016, 10:39 AM
Joined Mar 2011
3,427 Posts
By the way i copied the landing gear plate from the motor box kit and created a drawing as well as the two rear formers that are not included in the MB kit. Im hoping that the cnc laser cuter people can cut the G10 epoxy resin plate so next week i'm hoping that i will be making them (fingers crossed have them by friday).
Question is does anyone also want these to cut more? Will send them at whatever it cost me (don't think it will be more than 10 but i will confirm this) plus the postage..
PM / let me know if you want any.

Thanks
Old Feb 06, 2016, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
6,202 Posts
Ck, consider using 1/4" ply like Eagle2Nitro did when he rebuilt his formers on his Edge
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11852
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
Old Feb 06, 2016, 11:15 AM
Joined Mar 2011
3,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
Ck, consider using 1/4" ply like Eagle2Nitro did when he rebuilt his formers on his Edge
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11852
Cheers. I copied the original pattern and that is 3mm ply, this needs to be this thick to fit in the battery tray otherwise stuff will need filing etc. I made the lightening holes smaller to give it a bit more strength and consider a few alternative options how the LG plate connects in the rear former (the original design uses 3 tabs that go into slots in the former.
The problem i want to minimise weight penalty and second if i make it ultra stiff any impact will transfer to the fuse and effectively generate more damage. Im happy if one gets it wrong to just change the LG plate and the formers; its realy easy to change them especially now that i can cut the formers and keep spares.
Last edited by ckleanth; Feb 06, 2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Rewording
Old Feb 11, 2016, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by jk6672
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
4,467 Posts
Placed an order today for the Extra and a few 5070's. I've never flown this one and I'm sure it's going to be a blast, just as the other 48's. This will also be the first 48 I'll have flown without a Motrofly and 14x7 up front. It will be interesting to see the difference between the two power systems.
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
Last edited by jk6672; Feb 11, 2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by sr175
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
Yea but the issue is the two last struts/formers that I have asked for dimensions are not included in the MB kit. No way im throwing away a good airframe. My little extra is special..
Oh Yeh I hear you and i know that stuff is not included. Although this plane is half the size, but similar process, I just redid my 74 edge and I peeled the outside back, this stuff is not included in MB kit, replaced the guts with the MB kit and then put back together. No man i applaud you for doing that. It seems that everyone just throws away good planes that only need a number of hours of work and get new ones. Still learning the repair process stuff as I am not as fast and maybe not as good as you guys that have been doing it so I enjoy hearing how your doing it.
sr175 is offline Find More Posts by sr175
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
Find More Posts by jk6672
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
4,467 Posts
I was just looking at the manual, does the extra really come with EZ connectors, instead of double ball links, or is the manual just outdated?
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by GoAround
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,756 Posts
Mine came with ball links. A few bits of manual are out of date.
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by Gregertman
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
2,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
I was just looking at the manual, does the extra really come with EZ connectors, instead of double ball links, or is the manual just outdated?
Yep the manual is outdated. All the EF 48s come with ball links.
Gregertman is offline Find More Posts by Gregertman