Oct 16, 2011, 06:10 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsocio
Man, it looks you really had fun!

awesome vid!

Thanks MAX!

It gave me a excuse to buy a new MSX! I've never laughed so hard, at the field!! It was worth the sacrifice..
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2011, 07:21 AM
I fly em', there for I am.
Morning EXP fellowship. Tim, I just wanted to say thanks for doing the build videos. I've already learned a few new tricks for when my Edge gets here. Anyway, thanks man.
Oct 16, 2011, 09:41 AM
They Call him Dead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74
Morning EXP fellowship. Tim, I just wanted to say thanks for doing the build videos. I've already learned a few new tricks for when my Edge gets here. Anyway, thanks man.
Didn't someone do a build log for the 60" Edge? Was it Flop?
Oct 16, 2011, 10:06 AM
I fly em', there for I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead
Didn't someone do a build log for the 60" Edge? Was it Flop?
There is a 60" Edge thread but there's nothing like this build log Tim is going. I wish there was... But, watching the 60" Extra build log has helped me look at some things I've never done before..
Oct 16, 2011, 10:32 AM
Been A While
Here's the un-boxing video of my new 60" Edge EXP! Woohoo!

Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP__Un-Boxing Review (9 min 54 sec)

--Tom K.
Oct 16, 2011, 02:03 PM

Propeller Pondery / Brand Comparison

Ever lie awake at night wondering what is the best propeller brand for a given setup? Is a $14 prop better than a $7? Is there really a performance difference between a wood or composite prop? Can you really tell a difference between a dedicated electric prop vs. a glow prop? Which prop is better for 3D or IMAC? Which prop fly’s better not just tests better? Inquiring minds want to know!

In the coming weeks I will be testing multiple propeller brands both measurability (bench test) and subjectively (flight test). I have also solicited a couple of creditable RC groups contributors to give their insight as well. I wanted to find out just what is the best prop brand for the (60" EXP plane / motor 4016T/500 / esc 80A / batt 6S 3300mah ) combination. Note, I am not getting paid to do this propeller comparison nor was I provided any propellers for free, this will be a straight up test.

Here are the brands I will be testing:
Xoar PJN
Vox
Vess Sport
Falcon
EMP Neodym Scimitar
APC E

Oh yes there will be armchair critics because like anything else part of it comes down to personal preference. However after my testing, if you can prove that you are a legitimate RC contributor, have the skills, background and attention to detail, I will send you the entire prop array for a second test run. A second posted independent test using the same props with the same or different equivalent power set up.

Beware if you derogatorily speak up then get ready to man up (3D/IMAC posers) and do the whole prop test your self. The first potential criticism... how am I qualified to do the test? I am Project Manager for a Seattle based Airplane Mfg...

Sit back and prepare your self for some fun, lively debate and cool results in the coming weeks. So just who is the best prop mfg? We are going to find out.

Lee
Last edited by leespaddock; Oct 16, 2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Updated Pic
Oct 16, 2011, 02:10 PM
They Call him Dead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOTI74
There is a 60" Edge thread but there's nothing like this build log Tim is going. I wish there was... But, watching the 60" Extra build log has helped me look at some things I've never done before..
I will check it out. My guess is that there is little difference between building the Extra and the Edge. Anybody care to comment on known differences that I should be worried about before building my Edge?
Oct 16, 2011, 02:14 PM
They Call him Dead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leespaddock
Ever lie awake at night wondering what is the best propeller brand for a given setup? Is a $14 prop better than a $7? Is there really a performance difference between a wood or composite prop? Can you really tell a difference between a dedicated electric prop vs. a glow prop? Which prop is better for 3D or IMAC? Which prop fly’s better not just tests better? Inquiring minds want to know!

In the coming weeks I will be testing multiple propeller brands both measurability (bench test) and subjectively (flight test). I have also solicited a couple of creditable RC groups contributors to give their insight as well. I wanted to find out just what is the best prop brand was for the (60" EXP plane / motor 4016T/500 / esc 80A / batt 6S 3300mah ) combination. Note, I am not getting paid to do this propeller comparison nor was I provided any propellers for free, this will be a straight up test.

Here are the brands I will be testing:
Xoar PJN
Vox
Vess Sport
Falcon
EMP Neodym Scimitar
APC E

Oh yes there will be armchair critics because like anything else part of it comes down to personal preference. However after my testing, if you can prove that you are a legitimate RC contributor, have the skills, background and attention to detail, I will send you the entire prop array for a second test run. A second posted independent test using the same props with the same or different equivalent power set up.

Beware if you derogatorily speak up then get ready to man up and do the whole prop test your self. The first potential criticism... how am I qualified to do the test? I am Project Manager for Seattle based Airplane Mfg.

So sit back and prepare your self for some fun, lively debate and cool results in the coming weeks. So just who is the best prop mfg? We are going to find out.

Lee
Awesome Lee! I can not wait to get this party started!
Oct 16, 2011, 04:11 PM
Been A While
I heard APC had the best efficiency rating... Xoar was either the next best or the best wood... my dad, Aeroplayin, has a lot of this stuff on a spreadsheet somewhere... I think.

--Tom K.
Oct 16, 2011, 06:01 PM
KING of PING!
Vox and xoar will bury APC as far as highest static thrust,highest rpm,lowest amp draw,and lowest watts per voltage ps. will spool up faster,too
Oct 16, 2011, 06:07 PM
It's gone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMCARPETS
Vox and xoar will bury APC as far as highest static thrust,highest rpm,lowest amp draw,and lowest watts per voltage ps. will spool up faster,too
Well crap, you spoiled the story. No need for the test now .
Oct 16, 2011, 06:10 PM
3D for Me
The data is only part of the equation...

What really matters is the actual in-flight performance and how it feels.
That feel varies from pilot to ilot and from aircraft to aircraft.

JC
Last edited by JC Spohr; Oct 16, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
Oct 16, 2011, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K.
I heard APC had the best efficiency rating... Xoar was either the next best or the best wood... my dad, Aeroplayin, has a lot of this stuff on a spreadsheet somewhere... I think.

--Tom K.
Great Idea Tom. I am one step ahead of you as your dad Aeroplayin is one of the experts that I have solicted for his insight and opinion. Flopgun is the other.

Kindest Regards,
Lee
Last edited by leespaddock; Oct 16, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Oct 16, 2011, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr
The data is only part of the equation...

What really matters is the actual in-flight performance and how it feels.
That feel varies from pilot to ilot and from aircraft to aircraft.

JC
Excellent Point. That is why I will be testing the props not only mearsurable (static bench testing) but also subjective (flight testing with a few expert pilots, flying my 60" Extra EXP, possibly a 60" Edge EXP and prehaps a 60" MXS EXP when it becomes available).

This should really stir some people up. I am excited to see some interest out there. Let the debate, speculation and trash talk continue.

The results will be what they will be. Six props tested...One prop wins!!!
Kindest Regards,
Lee
Last edited by leespaddock; Oct 16, 2011 at 11:20 PM.
Oct 16, 2011, 07:48 PM
3D for Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by leespaddock
Excellent Point. That is why I will be testing the props not only mearsurable (static bench testing) but also subjective (flight testing with a few expert pilots, flying my 60" Extra EXP, possibly a 60" Edge EXP and prehaps a 60" MXS EXP when it becomes available).

This should really stir some people up. I am excited to see some interest out there. Let the debate, speculation and trash talk continue.

The results will be what they will be. Six props test One prop wins!!!
Kindest Regards,
Lee
Lee,

That's what I'm talking about - real life resuults from those in the know.

I very much look forward to your final report. It is going to heavily influence which prop I put on my 60" Extra.

Thanks in advance for the effort you and others will be putting into this.

JC
Last edited by JC Spohr; Oct 16, 2011 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply