HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by szastoupil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:22 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing Jim. If you purchase one it would only take a week moment of seeing yours fly that I'd get one too. The fleet this thinning and have been loosely planning to pick this one up. There should be a gigantic thread about the Pro in the electric sailplanes forum, but my guess is so large that getting useful information out of it might be challenging. My purpose for one would be an easy flying floater that is a "beater" plane. As far as gaining full house experience it would fit the bill in learning how to program 6 servos into your radio along with the typical mixes and gain experience to how control them while flying during the different phases. I have no idea how well the Pro would react to full trailing edge cambering/reflex, but would be fun to try. Of coarse a light foamy will not give you the feel of a slippery large ship that takes more attention to managing energy and the consequences if it is done done so. (broken flaps, doinked glass tips, etc.)
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2011, 09:26 AM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
237 Posts
Well, if I goad you into getting one, I take full responsibility.... well, except for financial and maintenance responsibility.

I figured it would be nice to have an electric for when I don't have the time (i.e., too lazy) to lay out the high start and the addition of playing with movable trailing edges just adds to the fun. And I have to admit to getting a little jealous of those battery powered thermals some of the guys could find at ten feet off the ground!

As for the large, slippery ships, I've got plenty of experience mismanaging energy, especially near the ground where it hurts! I figure this will help program my brain for flaps and ailerons so when I get one of those molded unobtainium superships I'll have fewer conscious decisions to bungle before crashing into my wallet.

There is some decent information on the forum, but yeah, it's a little difficult to filter through it all. A lot of the 'criticisms' don't seem all that bad to me (it won't climb vertically???? Really???) which I take as a sign that it's a decent airplane.
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:16 AM
Joined Jul 2010
237 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the Radian Pro. Now time to go play with programming the radio!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:32 PM
Joined Jul 2010
237 Posts
I took the opportunity with yesterday's calm weather to try out the Radian Pro. Even though I had transmitter problems I'd say that this airplane looks like a winner! It took all of ten minutes to go from box to flying status, even though I had to 'modify' the receiver bay for the gigantor receiver I'm using.

I thought the prop looked awfully small for the size of the plane, but it climbs out at about a 60 angle so that isn't a problem. Good straight line L/D and I was even able to sense a little 'slope' lift off the tree ridge where I was flying. It seems quite stable considering it's an aileron bird, and the flaps are quite effective. I can't wait to get her back up and see what crow does.

Like I said, I had some transmitter issues so I had to cut flight testing short, (new transmitter, going back to the factory tomorrow for warranty work) but this will be a good addition to the fleet.

Later,

Jim

PS. Scott, you might want to go ahead and start saving your nickels for that weak moment...
Old Feb 20, 2011, 02:42 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmitude View Post
PS. Scott, you might want to go ahead and start saving your nickels for that weak moment...
Crap, I figured that would happen. Too bad your transmitter was giving you fits. I wouldn't surprised if there was some good thermal activity yesterday. The full scale guys seem to be having fun too. On my way home from Appleton I saw a powered parachute along Hwy 10, a high wing scud running hwy 10 (looked like a Maule), and a couple planes gassing up at the Waupaca airport.

What batteries are you using? The 2100's I have are a little overkill.

How well does it thermal inverted?
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Feb 20, 2011, 03:32 PM
Joined Jul 2010
237 Posts
The air was definitely active yesterday but I was trying to just get the feel of the airplane so I didn't do too much thermal sniffing. There was a tree line upwind of where I was testing, and I got it going up for a little bit on the deflected wind. Any inverted flight was strictly NOT intentional!

Re: batteries, I got the stock 11.1 V 1300's same that comes with the BNF Radian and Pro. The nose has plenty of room for a bigger battery, but of course balance might be tricky. I might play around with a slightly larger prop (a lot of people like the Graupner 10x8) eventually, but that's down the road. Still, an 8 second motor run (only about half at full throttle) got me up high enough for about a 1 1/2 minute flight.

And here I am, watching the snow come down again!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:06 PM
Chris Zangl, VAM President
Joined Nov 2004
406 Posts
Does anyone know where to buy bearings that are in stock in Appleton? The size I need is 10.98mm OD, 4.92mm ID, 3.98mm thick
Boom Strike is offline Find More Posts by Boom Strike
Old Jul 23, 2013, 05:51 AM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,079 Posts
try here
Wisconsin Bearing Co 2222 W Nordale Dr,
Appleton

731-4121
knighttwister is offline Find More Posts by knighttwister
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Might want to try motion industries. I think they are still located in Depere just off 41.
parapup is offline Find More Posts by parapup
Old Jul 23, 2013, 01:53 PM
Chris Zangl, VAM President
Joined Nov 2004
406 Posts
Both those are the same company and they dont stock the one im looking for.any other suggestions?
Boom Strike is offline Find More Posts by Boom Strike
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:52 PM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,079 Posts
Kaman Industrial Technologies

3111 E Winslow Ave
Appleton
(920) 831-2720

Applied Industrial Technologies

2400 N Sandra St