HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2014, 06:24 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
Hype Seawind 300C

Hey guys, (if you dont want to read it all, just skip to the underlined part :P)

I live near a large lake in Portugal, right by the "Castelo de Bode" Dam. I first bought a AXN from Hobbyking about a year ago as my first plane with the 6ch TX from Hobbyking as well. So far I'm loving to learn to fly and I even built a custom plane out of blue styrofoam using a Catia Drawing I made and cut using a hot wire from the college :P I built it so as to learn to land and take off using a landing gear. However, seaplanes have always fascinated me, maybe because of where I live or maybe because of the thrill and beauty of taking off and landing on water
Anyway, I took several models into consideration for my first seaplane and I wanted to buy a PBY Catalina from Dynam. However, although it is a beautiful plane, I felt like I was going to just fly scale and the landings would not be the easiest because of the floats at the tip of the wings. I then considered the Catalina from Hobbyking and the Canadair, but they are twin engines and the build quality was not as good as I wanted. I then considered either an Icon A5 or a Cessna 182 or DHC Beaver with floats. However, I felt that for a first seaplane the floats are not the best because the landings have to be perfect or else I could tip the plane over. The Icon A5 I just couldn't find a suitable model for my 3S 2200mah (I couldnt get the parkzone version to portugal. At least not without being ripped of with taxes lol). So, I found the Seawind 300C from Hype. I fell in love with the plane! I find it beautiful, more versatile than a Canadair or Catalina (maybe even a little more beautiful :P) and the build quality seems to be really good! I then tried to investigate it a little further but there was little information available. And most of it is in german (thanks google translate xD).

So, my "question" is: Does anyone own a Seawind 300C from Hype? And if so, could you give me some information whatsoever, regarding quality, tips, flaws, whatever you find useful?

Thank a bunch!
alexds is offline Find More Posts by alexds
Last edited by alexds; Apr 25, 2014 at 06:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:37 AM
Joined Nov 2005
73 Posts
I “ve got a Seawind 300C from Hype. The quality is really good and it flies out of the box really nice. Just check everything before. Especially the motor screws. they needed to be tightend.
I can advise this nice plane to anyone.
Markus05 is offline Find More Posts by Markus05
Last edited by Markus05; Jul 28, 2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2014, 08:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I just read it now :P I haven't maidened mine yet, but I really want to do it! Can you please post a picture of your pushrod that connects the servo to the rudder? I feel that mine is to soft and bends too much...

Thanks a bunch! Will post some pictures when I get the time.

Cheers
Old Aug 06, 2014, 08:55 AM
Joined Nov 2005
73 Posts
Both rods are really soft. Look at the motor mount, that the screws are tight. An put some sealing around your receiver and the bruhless controller.
Old Aug 07, 2014, 07:03 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
I will assemble mine in a few days. I'm going to dip my receiver and controller in CorrosionX. Hopefully that will help. Also, regarding the motor mount, I repositioned mine pointing a little higher so that it would not touch the inside part of the cowl. Could you please post a picture of your motor with the spinner installed so that I can compare the angle? And did you not have any problems with the rudder pushrod? Could you post a picture of it? Thanks! Thos are all the issues I found with my Seawind upon opening the box. :S

Cheers and thanks for the help!

PS: If you have any tips regarding the build or the flight characteristics, I would really appreciate.
Old Aug 08, 2014, 02:15 AM
Joined Nov 2005
73 Posts
Don“t change the motor position, even if it looks funny! I“ve tried to straighten it and it was a terrible unstable flight.

Put some bicycle oil in the pushrods. Especially in the taileron. And make the taileron easy moving up and down.

Add an extension pipe on the rudder pushrod and some superglue to keep it in position. As you can see on the picture, at the servos, stabilise the pushrods as well.

Seawind RC Setup:
Ailerons up and down 100 % with 50% DR = 100% up only 50% down
Aileron rudder MIX 50% rudder in Aileron
You can try EXPO on AILERON if you like as well. maybe 25-25%
Landing Flaps. Ailerons both down 5mm
Rudder I think on maximum 25mm left and right

I will also try some GEAR-TAILERON down. But not much!!! I will try it next time maybe. The seawind climbs to much on high speed.

Landing: YOU NEED SPACE !
The seawind is a really good glider. Not to much Gear while landing. I might try some more than 5mm landing Flaps on AILERONS

First fligth without Wind
Old Aug 13, 2014, 07:28 AM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Thanks for the pictures I can't post mine yet because I am on vacations lol However, I have already messed with my motor position :S When I took the cowl off, I noticed that it wasn't tight, so I unscrewed it and screwed it again tighter. Still, I don't think my motor points the same way as yours, but I will check it when I get home. As far as plastidip is concerned, I don't think I'll do it because I will only fly close to a dam (Castelo de Bode Dam in Portugal) where the water is calm and there is more than enough room to fly :P I will, however, dip my ESC and Receiver in some CorrosionX. That way, it is more or less waterproof, with the battery being the only thing not waterproof. Did you replace the pipe entirely or did you just add an extension? And is that pipe stronger?

Cheers and good flights!

PS: I'm thinking of only flying with DR at about 90% and 60% (being changed with the switch) and that's it. No Expo, no mixing, and no flaperons... Do you think it needs flaperons? Or any mixing at all?