SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:27 PM
farmington, mn
Joined Sep 2003
884 Posts
Discussion
2300mah enough to run glow driver and rx?

I have 6 Futaba s3004 servos on my twin engine plane, I was going to add a remote glow starter actives with the remote, can I run the glow starter and the rx on one 2300mah pack or will the glow plugs suck to much juice out before I get to fly while starting
Thanks jeff
jeff262 is offline Find More Posts by jeff262
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:32 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,223 Posts
You have me confused. Are you running a programmable glow driver? Anyway the battery you have should be ok. Voltage on glow plugs is low and drain from what ever glow driver you have should be low
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:31 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Confusion

You have me confused also.
The glow driver has to be 1.5 volts to force typically 3 amps through its coil.
The receiver needs typically 4.8 to 6.0 volts.

Both canot be fed from the same battery.

I wonder what is your arrangement (setup).

I admit I do not know about "remote glow drivers" else than have a connector permanently on the glow plug and bring two wires to a connector on the side of the fuselage away from the engine and use a regular source of voltage or current to feed the glow plug. One wire is on the glow plug the other to the frame of the engine.

Zor

Editing
I went to the McDaniel website and saw the MCD471 on board driver.
It appears to be a site under consruction and no real knowledge is available
I got the McDaniel from the following posting.
End
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; Feb 17, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:39 PM
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Aug 2004
106 Posts
The McDaniel remote glow drivers I'm experienced with have its own battery pack. Mute point then!
Jake
Sonsight is offline Find More Posts by Sonsight
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:51 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,043 Posts
Many Glow drivers are powered from LiPo or NiXX power packs ....

Here's an example of a 6 - 12V supply Glow Driver from HK :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...river_v2_.html

Recc'd power pack is a 2S liPo.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:20 PM
farmington, mn
Joined Sep 2003
884 Posts
Here is what I got, the price was right so I thought I would try it. The controller sends full power to the plugs when switched on then after the throttle is moved it will cut the power or apply 50% power when the throttle is below 1/4. It was cheap so I thought I would try it, i just I have no idea what size battery to use here is a link the the eBay posting and a link to the manual
http://www.rcdevice.com/en/attaches/.../61-T4w7Q0.pdf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shippin...:B:SHOP:US:101
jeff262 is offline Find More Posts by jeff262
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:47 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff262 View Post
Here is what I got, the price was right so I thought I would try it. The controller sends full power to the plugs when switched on then after the throttle is moved it will cut the power or apply 50% power when the throttle is below 1/4. It was cheap so I thought I would try it, i just I have no idea what size battery to use here is a link the the eBay posting and a link to the manual
http://www.rcdevice.com/en/attaches/.../61-T4w7Q0.pdf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shippin...:B:SHOP:US:101

jeff262,

If you noticed in the manual they show a battery voltage of 3.2 - 8.4 but conveniently for them they do not show a battery capacity.

No matter what, the glow plug still needs approximately 1.5 V x 3.0 Amps = 4.5 watts whether being pure DC or pulsed at a higher voltage.

You can figure how long 3.0 amps can be drawn (supplied) by a battery of XXXX mAh.
I would use a separate battery to avoid the risk of loosing control due to a discharged battery feeding the receiver and servos.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:39 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,043 Posts
On a different line .... in the old days of panels and pumps that I used ... 1980's ... the Glow driver on the panel actually fed 12v to the plug. But pulsed so that it equaled 1.2v ..... in fact we used to patch it to charge up Tx and Rx packs in emergency. The output was basically regulated to whatever it connected to.

The gloow drivers now appear to like the 6 - 7V range as I see it ... so a 5 cell NiMH or a 2S pack should be ideal.

My favourite is still the pocket driver ... it's a cleaner look without that clip permanent to the plug.

My Glow driver is from the 1980's ... has a single NiCD in and even though it was left on shelf for years - still fires up fine. The other advantage is my B6 LiPo charger in the car can charge it up if needed at the field.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife