HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:46 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltapilot View Post
Anyone else's 9xr shut off or won't turn on in the cold?
I successfully flew my 9XR Pro on New Year's Day in our club's "first flight of the year" event. The temperature was -23C (about 10 below F). The transmitter did OK but I froze the tip of a little finger.

As pointed out above, a good battery, fully charged and kept warm is mandatory.

One issue I have noted with my 9XR and Pro is that the sticks develop a viscose feel at low temperatures. I plan to try lubricating them with TriFlow.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Dec 2013
96 Posts
Having problem believe it may be 9xr issue has anyone had or seen this problem before? Thx in advance

Motor and receiver twitch problem (1 min 10 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2270279
Creynell is offline Find More Posts by Creynell
Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creynell View Post
Having problem believe it may be 9xr issue has anyone had or seen this problem before? Thx in advance

http://youtu.be/qxwFr6gfY7k

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2270279
Answered in other forum.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Today, 09:51 AM
Joined Dec 2013
19 Posts
I bought a 9xr a while back for a build and I just pulled it out hoping to give it a shot and the screen won't turn on and no beeps from button presses. It worked when I received it (only powered it up once or twice then). Tried googling seems like it could be something with firmware? Any help for someone who has no idea where to begin..
xd45c is online now Find More Posts by xd45c
Old Today, 09:55 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,575 Posts
I think it could be something with the battery actually if it was off for that long. The firmware doesn't get bad with time, specially when the radio is off please check that the battery is not dead.
It's amazing the stuff google comes up with sometimes
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Today, 10:01 AM
Joined Dec 2013
19 Posts
Thanks for quick reply, should add that the blue "Ready" light illuminates when the power switch is turned to the on position but no screen. Placed the battery on a balance charger for a while before trying again to no avail.
Old Today, 10:11 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd45c View Post
I bought a 9xr a while back for a build and I just pulled it out hoping to give it a shot and the screen won't turn on and no beeps from button presses. It worked when I received it (only powered it up once or twice then). Tried googling seems like it could be something with firmware? Any help for someone who has no idea where to begin..
Battery ?

If not - then it MAY be what happened to me ... I say MAY BE ...

I had a 9xr delivered and first day - I fired it up and programmed in a 'test' model. Put it on shelf ... Next day switched on ... nothing.
Changed battery .......... still nothing.

I sent in this video :

9xr RMA 85397 (3 min 52 sec)

They sent me a replacement 9xr without question.

The replacement failed similarly and I contacted them ... they asked for another video ...

9xr 28Feb2014 RMA 85397 (3 min 19 sec)

They sent me another replacement without question.

Note that I was actually about 1.5 months after receipt of first one when I found the first fault .. I was away on assignment and arrived back at home later. HK accepted that.

Further that I had confirmation from HK that I did not need to send back the faulty - that I could keep and do as I wish with with them. Once I had working replacement - I gave them to a pal who is dab-hand with radios - he fixed them by swapping the second screen to first and buying a new screen for the second ... for his work - I gave him one. The fault was screen and its driver.

I found out unofficially that HK had a batch with problems in late 2013 when I ordered mine.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Today, 10:17 AM
Joined Dec 2013
19 Posts
I may just try ordering a new battery and try that out first, I guess having two wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.

Thinking about it, I purchased this 9xr right around christmas last year,so it has sat a whole year since I first tried it out. Puts it right in your timetable of late 2013 as well. I doubt they would be as understanding (or believing for that matter) that I haven't used it for a whole year.
Old Today, 12:17 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd45c View Post
I may just try ordering a new battery and try that out first, I guess having two wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.
Do you have a normal 3S lipo ... any size will do as long as it has a standard balance plug.
I use 3 9xr's and only one has the 9xr Tx lipo ... the others use tired out no longer suitable for flight 3s lipo's

Quote:
Thinking about it, I purchased this 9xr right around christmas last year,so it has sat a whole year since I first tried it out. Puts it right in your timetable of late 2013 as well. I doubt they would be as understanding (or believing for that matter) that I haven't used it for a whole year.
I agree that HK may not accept such long time ... BUT I would still go on chat line and talk to them. They can only say no. What have you to lose ?

The screen is available to fit yourself .. don't ask me from where - I have no idea - but I know my pal got them online ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Today, 02:57 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,575 Posts
That would be a good piece of information to share here..

One thing I would like to share here and will also share in other threads is this:
I have been testing the latest test versions of er9x as well as helping with a new manual for it. That makes me try all the options and features. Today I was messing with the battery calibration in one of my 9x radios and I found out that the voltage reading might not be very accurate in cases where the battery uses a wide voltage range, as it is the case with the NiMh batteries. Something from 9.0V to about 11.2V when charged? Anyway, at least on my radio I found that the voltage is not very linear. So what I suggest when calibrating the voltage is to use a battery that is already discharged to a voltage close to the one you want to set the alarm to. Then measure the voltage using a meter while the tx is on (under load). Normally LiFe and LiPo batteries have more than one connector so we can connect the meter to an unsused connector. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SHORT ANYTHING.
Calibrating the voltage with the discharged battery will make the reading more accurate around the voltage you want the alarm to sound.
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Today, 08:04 PM
Joined Dec 2013
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Do you have a normal 3S lipo ... any size will do as long as it has a standard balance plug.
I use 3 9xr's and only one has the 9xr Tx lipo ... the others use tired out no longer suitable for flight 3s lipo's

I agree that HK may not accept such long time ... BUT I would still go on chat line and talk to them. They can only say no. What have you to lose ?

The screen is available to fit yourself .. don't ask me from where - I have no idea - but I know my pal got them online ...

Nigel
unfortunately no other batteries, I come from the cheap heli side of the hobby so just small lipos laying around. I have another turnigy headed this way. Thanks for your help.