SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:18 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,691 Posts
If you're interested, I hoped that the 150A current sensor has a "hidden" capacity counter built in. Analyzed the output. Nope. There is only the current coming out. I still wonder why they did not put a capacity counter in (this takes maybe an hour addidional programming)....
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:49 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
You would know, you're the expert on how much it takes SOMEBODY ELSE to do it.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:00 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,880 Posts
... if graupner of futaba can do it, Spektrum can do it.
Am I right!?
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:07 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,188 Posts
Spew Time - Again

Yet another keyboard cleaning caused by Andy's remarks. Andy, would it be simpler, instead of sending a bill each time, that we set up an account? :-)

When I was active in the software development business, another response might have been "management" - 'nuff said. :-)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You would know, you're the expert on how much it takes SOMEBODY ELSE to do it.

Andy
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:26 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
Lucky for me, laughs are more powerful than screams. (Monsters, Inc. reference)

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:43 PM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
... if graupner of futaba can do it, Spektrum can do it.
Am I right!?
Of course you are right. No one said it can't be done. Just that is is nowhere near as simple as some believe it to be. For example, due to the polling rate, the calculation can't really be performed in the transmitter with any accuracy. That means additional hardware in the sensor, perhaps a microprocessor to track it all and package it up to send to the transmitter. I reality, it's isn't that big of a deal. However it does make the sensor more expensive and is far from a simple software upgrade to the transmitter only. At some time, if they perceive there is a market for such a sensor, I'm sure they'll produce one. However, a handful of people on a forum complaining about the lack of such a device doesn't prove a significant demand for such a product.
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:14 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Know nothing of it; is there a Telemetry Tutorial someplace?
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:25 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
Of course you are right. No one said it can't be done. Just that is is nowhere near as simple as some believe it to be. For example, due to the polling rate, the calculation can't really be performed in the transmitter with any accuracy. That means additional hardware in the sensor, perhaps a microprocessor to track it all and package it up to send to the transmitter. I reality, it's isn't that big of a deal. However it does make the sensor more expensive and is far from a simple software upgrade to the transmitter only. At some time, if they perceive there is a market for such a sensor, I'm sure they'll produce one. However, a handful of people on a forum complaining about the lack of such a device doesn't prove a significant demand for such a product.
How would it be such a big hardware addition? The current sensor is there and there has to be a clock pulse somewhere in the telemetry module already. Current vs time= accumulated mah. I am really missing something here??? Shouldn't make the sensor any more expensive.

Based on a few people in a forum who actually say something about it would lead me to believe there are a lot of people who want it but just are not on the forums.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to come out with such a sensor. Andy responded to many ideas/requests for additional features in the DX18 that they were in the database for consideration and six months in now and their have been few additions that I can see.

New Features & Improvements
Enabled telemetry sensor for GPS, JetCat, and High Current (Amps).
Enabled up to 32-pole motors for the Brushless RPM sensor.
Enabled access to more switches as telemetry log starters.
Enabled French and Italian languages. Note that these are two separate
downloads (English/German/French or English/Italian).
Improved interchange with DX10t-created SPM files.

Some may argue some of those should have been there in the first place.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:31 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
<snip> I am really missing something here??? <snip>
I guess so, unless we work in the biz we can't be sure how it works or what needs to be done so it works.

Sorry you made it too easy.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:03 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
If you're interested, I hoped that the 150A current sensor has a "hidden" capacity counter built in. Analyzed the output. Nope. There is only the current coming out. I still wonder why they did not put a capacity counter in (this takes maybe an hour addidional programming)....
Really?? Omg how disappointing... Is this a production version? Will this ever happen in the near future?

I've been waiting for this to come out for one year, since it was shown at Nuremberg this time last year..(I actually asked about it 2 years ago) For me I wanted to know mAh consumed and shown on my TX.. Really thought it would be able to do that
I've held off buying the quanum as wanted it all in one unit..
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:18 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
931 Posts
the new sensor and the current sensor will not be changing.
There will not be 'accumulation' added to either due to technical and hardware limitations that Andy pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
How would it be such a big hardware addition? The current sensor is there and there has to be a clock pulse somewhere in the telemetry module already. Current vs time= accumulated mah. I am really missing something here??? Shouldn't make the sensor any more expensive.

Based on a few people in a forum who actually say something about it would lead me to believe there are a lot of people who want it but just are not on the forums.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to come out with such a sensor. Andy responded to many ideas/requests for additional features in the DX18 that they were in the database for consideration and six months in now and their have been few additions that I can see.

New Features & Improvements
• Enabled telemetry sensor for GPS, JetCat, and High Current (Amps).
• Enabled up to 32-pole motors for the Brushless RPM sensor.
• Enabled access to more switches as telemetry log starters.
• Enabled French and Italian languages. Note that these are two separate
downloads (English/German/French or English/Italian).
• Improved interchange with DX10t-created SPM files.

Some may argue some of those should have been there in the first place.
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Last edited by teryn1; Jan 24, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:58 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn1 View Post
the new sensor and the current sensor will not be changing.
There will not be 'accumulation' added to either due to technical and hardware limitations that Andy pointed out.
Well I never really expected there to be any change to the "current" sensor. But it's bogus to say it could not have been done in the first place. Hardware limitations....blah blah blah....should be interpreted as "We chose not to do it." Maybe the current telemetry module can't do it, but it should have been given the ability in the first place, they chose not to do it.

More than one competition are doing it. And the competition are doing lots of other things that will negate the need for you to buy the next greatest radio that comes out with a few more desirable features doled out, .....and the next one with a few more features graciously doled out.

Every day my finger gets closer to the buy button for the Graupner.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:22 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,691 Posts
It would have been a piece of cake to add it to the sensor. It would have been some addidional code. Everything else is there already.

It could be also done in the radio. Not as precise, but it could be done. It is just a management decision not to do it.

Let's hope that the real capacity sensor comes out soon. Not because I want the sensor (because it is too weak), but I want the telemetry menu entry to use

Nevertheless I like the Spektrum radios. And I will continue to hack the stuff

@Topgear: You can build it yourself
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:23 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,525 Posts
Call the wahmbulance... everyday everyone makes a choice for a purchase for one reason or another.

Not everyone wants what you want, and not everyone wants what I want.

Enjoy the hobby. Have fun with it, and experience what we do have, and focus less on what we dont have.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:26 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
I've been waiting for this to come out for one year, since it was shown at Nuremberg this time last year.
The unit we showed at Nuremberg has only ever been intended to monitor power into low-current applications such as a PowerSafe receiver. That' has been clearly pointed out numerous times on this forum.

Andy
Site Sponsor