HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:32 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
Ifsorry you got done there airgus, if you happen to have some S107 or othe coax guts about I would say it may be worth trying another PCB, ok ther would be no roll or pitch controll but if your are able to take of and go up n down without spinning it would prove the mothers what's and gears are good.

Does anyone know if these have the same motors asthe S107?

Edit, have you check that the shafts are not slipping on the grars? With these gyro birds if one gear is slipping the gyro will restrict power to the good motor and shaft to stop it from spinning out of control.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:35 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Does anyone know if these have the same motors asthe S107?
Yes - same physical dimensions at least.

I got a PM asking how to adjust the swash linkages for more throw. See photo below - after popping the 2 canopy-posts off and removing it off the front, carefully pop the ball-links off the swash, and move the lower ends forward to the second hole. The third hole on the servo 'horn' is too large for the links, so I don't know why they are even there, but it's conceivable that you could drill/burn a tiny hole for moving the swash links even further out. Not sure that the swash wouldn't bind, but might be fun to try.
Kurt is online now Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Thanks Kurt! in the time i spent waiting for you to respond to the above ( not mad about that) i ended up popping off the heli engine cover and figuring this out... my only screw up was i didnt check the label on the bladesvas since my fingers were so long i found it easier to take off the blades. Fun when i had to figure out the numbers were in the wrong area and when i tried to lift the heli just sat there full throttle lol..
gimps777 is offline Find More Posts by gimps777
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:51 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Lightlake posted this link for $26 shipped over in the micro-heli forum :O

http://lightake.com/detail.do/sku.Sy...ro_White-51484
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Nov 2010
39 Posts
Quote:
Edit, have you check that the shafts are not slipping on the grars? With these gyro birds if one gear is slipping the gyro will restrict power to the good motor and shaft to stop it from spinning out of control.
I checked, shafts are not slipping on the gears.
Airgus is offline Find More Posts by Airgus
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:54 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

Hey Kurt, have you seen they are usin your video review on the product page?

They given you anything for that?
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:46 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Hey Kurt, have you seen they are usin your video review on the product page?

They given you anything for that?
heh thanks for the heads-up dj. No they didn't even ask for my permission, or give me any credit.
Have added a little note the beginning of the video
Now if they'd like to fly me to China as a "consultant" I'd be more than happy to work with them on future videos
cheers!
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:27 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
heh thanks for the heads-up dj. No they didn't even ask for my permission, or give me any credit.
Have added a little note the beginning of the video
Now if they'd like to fly me to China as a "consultant" I'd be more than happy to work with them on future videos
cheers!

Nice footnote, I wonder if they will actually notice it though
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:38 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
426 Posts
Quote:

Oh why not,... I'll try one. The guys in the Syma 107 thread made me do it!

I haven't used Lightlake yet (just registered two minutes ago).

How are they (Lightlake) on a scale of 1 to 10 ("1" being AVOID at all costs! / "10" being Tier One Seller! ) with::

1. - Speed ?
2. - Communications (especially if there's a hang-up)?
3. - Packaging ?
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:35 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRail View Post
How are they (Lightlake)
Sorry don't know anything about their service, but thanks to youtube's analytics I do know that only 38 people viewed my video on their site in the past week
Good luck with yours - I'm running out to the hobby store now for supplies and will pick up some plastic tube to glue inside old metal sticks for longer controls. Should help with the craptastic TX resolution a bit...
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Dec 2004
96 Posts
Quote:

I took apart the controller to see how tough it would be to de-solder and swap the rudder and aileron. I'm sure it can be done, just above my pay grade. Would need to also re-wire the rudder trim.
Kurt, It's actually not bad. The trim is independent so you don't have to mess with that circuit. It's just a matter of cutting two traces and addind two wires. I'll post some pics either tonight or tomorrow morning. It now feels normal with this mod.
-Dan
talktodan is offline Find More Posts by talktodan
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:58 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by talktodan View Post
Kurt, It's actually not bad. The trim is independent so you don't have to mess with that circuit. It's just a matter of cutting two traces and addind two wires. I'll post some pics either tonight or tomorrow morning. It now feels normal with this mod.
-Dan
Dan - that would be great! I'd love to see pics of how you do this.
I tried patching in an old Walkera controller's pot with 3 leads on the bottom of the S800g's PCB so I'd have higher quality, higher precision controls but it didn't work. Can you tell I'm a mechanical engineer, not an EE :P
I did replace the stock plastic 'button' sticks with longer, metal ones from the Walkera controller. This helps a LOT in smoothing out the aileron and throttle control. Converting it to mode 4 (and beefing up the tx's exterior to better fit my hands) will make this a truly excellent little indoor 4-ch package.
cheers!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Dec 2004
96 Posts
Quote:
Dan - that would be great! I'd love to see pics of how you do this.
I tried patching in an old Walkera controller's pot with 3 leads on the bottom of the S800g's PCB so I'd have higher quality, higher precision controls but it didn't work. Can you tell I'm a mechanical engineer, not an EE :P
I did replace the stock plastic 'button' sticks with longer, metal ones from the Walkera controller. This helps a LOT in smoothing out the aileron and throttle control. Converting it to mode 4 (and beefing up the tx's exterior to better fit my hands) will make this a truly excellent little indoor 4-ch package.
cheers!
I'm also an ME, or at least hope to be after this May

It was hard to get good pictures in low light (camera phone), but I think you should still be able to see the modifications. I cut two traces as seen as red lines and soldered the two wires where the blue circles are. I had to scratch off the green masking on one spot to apply solder onto the trace.

-Dan

talktodan is offline Find More Posts by talktodan
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:05 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
I dropped into my local Modelzone test day and was aloud to "play with" S800 and the missile firing Udi helicopter, now I can really see exactly what everyone who has this shape of Tx has been talking about, them tiny little sticks! The open door, the aircon and the rudder and aileron being te wrong way round didn't help either, I may get one from lightake at some point (they were reasonably quick at sending my iPhone S107 Tx dongle and charger) but I'm in no hurry for a S800.

The Udi missile heli was very smooth and responsive, personally I think I would get one of them first, shame they lost all the missiles.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:09 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Dan - thanks much for the pics and description.
Darned good close up pics for a phone IMO!

How do you 'cut' a trace? Just scratch through the green insul and conductor to 'break' the circuit?
Going to give it a try.

Good luck with school, tough road but so worth it!

Quote:
The open door, the aircon and the rudder and aileron being te wrong way round didn't help either,
open door, aircon? eh?