HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:03 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,369 Posts
I like the standard size so that boxes can be mix and matched . you could also go 24X24 on the 3 mm and that could give you a smaller box size that still fit the larger box as well .

Depronicus you should really let mike get at those plans im sure he could fit them on 1 sheet

I love that Bipe , let me know when you get your build thread going as i would like to build one once my building season resumes this fall . Maybe underpowered but i have a 3536 1100 from HK i could put in it
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:09 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
...let me know when you get your build thread going ...
It's at least a month away, maybe more.

That motor should be fine for it. I'll be droning on obsessively about motor choices in the thread. I've tried a ton of them.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:28 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
The 2' x 4' sheet size sure is convenient for a vast number of reasons. But being able to mix 6mm and a smaller size in the same order would be the cat's meow for me. My preference is for a really thin sheet, so 2mm instead of 3mm if we have to choose only one. Otherwise, hey -- make 'em all!

I can't imagine Adams "adjusting" their extrusion equipment to handle sizes much different from what they're already making. These guys have got the extrusion of 6mm down pat, so we should be somewhat circumspect about pushing them for other sizes. But, sure, if they're willing to make this same foam in other thicknesses then I'm positive the modeling community will be able to use the stuff in mass quantities.

I wonder how long before some of the mid-size kit manufacturers start kitting in MPF/Adams...?

Oh, and I am not at all interested in any more material with the qualities of Depron, meaning easy to chip, break, and otherwise damage. Adams is still the foam of choice even if Depbreak were the same price. For those rare cases when I need the absolute stiffness of Depron I'll get that. But for the other 98.2% of my own and my to-order builds I'll take Adams, thank you oh so much.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:01 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
...the other 98.2% of my own and my to-order builds I'll take Adams...
I don't think there's much doubt that for something in the neighborhood of 90% of the planes built on this forum, MPF would be a better material choice than Depron. My application is pretty unique because of the loads the material has to take.

Depron is just plain brittle. You simply have to tape it up, or the plane you made out of it will have a short life span.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:13 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,644 Posts
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. Seems like most like the 2'x4' sheet size. I do too, for several reasons.

Adams is telling us they might be able to develope a thiner version of MPF in the future, but for now they are just too busy with other developments for other customers.

We have a source of "Depron like" product in thicknesses and sheet sizes of our choice. They are farther away but even with the additional shipping cost we should be able to sell it below the current retail price of Depron.

I plan to ask the manufacturer if they can make a less brittle product, but frankly we can't promise enough volume for them to invest much in developing a special product. So, let's assume for now that the product will have the characteristics of Depron.

I am thinking 2'X4' sheets in thicknesses of 1.8 mm, 3 mm and 6 mm.
What do you think?
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
I am thinking 2'X4' sheets in thicknesses of 1.8 mm, 3 mm and 6 mm.
What do you think?
Although I would prefer the "new" product to be MPF, a Depron like material in 1.8mm & 3mm would still be great... particularly in the 2'x4. size. My first choice would be 3MM.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:49 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,617 Posts
Roll-your-own 10mm MPF

If one were to laminate up MPF with Elmer's Glue-All, in size-appropriate blocks for the specific parts one was making, as shown below, and patiently waited the many days it would take for the Elmer's to thoroughly dry (which may be as long as a week depending on how big the piece was), one could then make a big, honkin', 48-inch-wingspan flat-sheet foamie biplane out of MPF, couldn't one?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:52 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
I think I'd use a thin thin coat of slow curing epoxy. No need to wait days and days... and you know it'll be cured in typical time.

I would not use a fast setting epoxy, they are too brittle... a nice slow cure type that remains somewhat flexible is the way to go.

Regards

Christian
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:55 PM
Warriors
United States, MI, Farmington Hills
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
I live in Michigan. Do you know anybody who can CNC cut the MPF foam for me.
anantken is offline Find More Posts by anantken
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:57 PM
Warriors
United States, MI, Farmington Hills
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
What kind of glues we can use with MPF out of following.

1. Foam Safe CA
2. Epoxy
3. Rubber Cement
4. Gorilla Glue
5. Carpenters Wood Glue
6. Foamtastic
7. Hot Glue Gun.

Thanks
anantken is offline Find More Posts by anantken
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:00 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain_zero View Post
...a thin coat of slow curing epoxy...
Expensive and kind of nasty to work with. Elmer's is dirt cheap, dries white, stays flexible, washes off with water, and makes a permanent bond on foams like this.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
I am guessing if you skim coat the Elmer's then drying time wouldn't be as long as you may thing. Could be wrong about this, but I've done this with Titebond, on smaller than full sheets, and by the time I was done squeegeeing it all out, it already started to tack up pretty good. Next AM, it was plenty strong. Don't see how Elmer's white would be all that different.

Also could use a water based contact cement.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:42 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantken View Post
What kind of glues we can use with MPF out of following.

1. Foam Safe CA
2. Epoxy
3. Rubber Cement
4. Gorilla Glue
5. Carpenters Wood Glue
6. Foamtastic
7. Hot Glue Gun.

Thanks
Everything except the Rubber Cement should be fine... I'm not sure about the solvents in Rubber Cement.
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:19 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantken View Post
I live in Michigan. Do you know anybody who can CNC cut the MPF foam for me.
Anantken,
One of the motivating factors for being part of this venture was to support my CNC foam cutting business.

Letting you know, I am in that business. In general I can cut an area up to 22" x 47", but try to keep the length to 44". The extra 3" results in extra handling. Once the cut file is set up the per sheet cost is $15, that includes the foam. Set up cost depends on what work I have to do to get it ready to cut.

If you work in SketchUp you can set up the file using these parameters with SketchU-CAM.
1. 22"x44" or 47" if needed cut area
2. .0625" cutter diameter
3. Feed speeds 100 inches per minute
4. Material thickness .225" for MPF

What area of MI are you in?

Ken Owner of Kens CAD Models
Partner in Model Plane Foam Inc.
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:32 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
If one were to laminate up MPF with Elmer's Glue-All, in size-appropriate blocks for the specific parts one was making, as shown below, and patiently waited the many days it would take for the Elmer's to thoroughly dry (which may be as long as a week depending on how big the piece was), one could then make a big, honkin', 48-inch-wingspan flat-sheet foamie biplane out of MPF, couldn't one?
Thats kinda what i'd like to try with your Biplane , with some carbon down the middle .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain_zero View Post
Everything except the Rubber Cement should be fine... I'm not sure about the solvents in Rubber Cement.
You might wanna check out Freddie B's threads http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=32 rubber cement works well
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor