SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:04 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
servo reversing happens frequently with these bricks if the battery is allowed to get too low. The suggestion of setting up dual ailerons is a good one. Then you can also add some differential which makes banking and turning easier.I also have spoilerons setup on my Mossie. It is a fun little plane
Gary
+1! Differential really helps the turns to look more scale. I use a bit of spoileron (reflex) when flying the Mossie at our indoor spot. I was surprised at how much it improves low-speed maneuverability & how much slower the landing speed is.

I definitely love this plane! In fact, the Mossie is the only 1s UM that I still fly. Wish they'd make a 2s brushless AS3X version with flaps & retracts!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:14 AM
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
334 Posts
Thabk you guys for the tip of using a 600mah lipo

this one makes the engines run smooth, it fits pefect and the CG its ok

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20385

had a problem with the right engine, the gears are not touching

great to see one with flaps and retracts! and a micro Bf-110
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:01 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
Today's stupid question. Found bric info to put in dual aileron mode. How do I determine which channel of the receiver the ailerons are on without opening plane and looking at the bric? There were directions for ch 2, 3 and 4. Info is notin plane manual.

Thanks!

Lynn
Lynnsabcs is offline Find More Posts by Lynnsabcs
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
Chulian1819 posted earlier that he had a frozen aileron but I didn't see any post for how to correct it. I think I have one aileron reversed and one frozen. Would it be the servo or servo link? Is the servo in the engine nacelle?

Thanks for the help. Hope to fly Saturday.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
334 Posts
hope this helps people with frozen ailerons on their mossie

Blade mCPx Servo Cleaning (8 min 29 sec)
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:32 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,240 Posts
Lynn, sorry, but its gonna be trial and error.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:35 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,477 Posts
Regarding servo cleaning - pick up some DeoxIT F-series FaderLube spray. Either F5 or F100 will do. It is designed specifically for deoxidizing, protecting & rejuvinating carbon & plastic resistive strips, such as the ones in these linear servos. It's used extensively throughout the pro-audio industry on the pots & faders in pro-audio and studio gear. Just spray it into the output arm slot using the wand & work the servo a bunch of times. No servo disassembly required. It's the best stuff out there for cleaning, deoxidizing, rejuvenating, and protecting the resistive strip & wipers in these UM servos: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FaderLubeS/

Joel
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:50 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,967 Posts
Joel,
Held off long enough. Just placed an order with Sweetwater for DeoxIT. Have had few servo problems but just in case as my um heli and plane inventory is ever growing...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
On the way back from Nashville, I wondered if the aileron not working was on the side of the plane that hit the tree branch enough to nick the edge of the wing about 3/4". It was.

Took off the engine cover on that side. With the battery connected to the plane and radio turned on, the servo is centered and will not react to control. Turn off the radio, and the servo moves full forward to the front of the plane and the aileron moves down. The gears on the servo don't look out of alignment or anything on the servo damaged.

Is the servo toast?

Before I tried to reverse the servos by turning the thottle full forward and holding the aileron control to SW and plug in the battery of the plane, both servos were working up and down, except they were moving in the same direction.

Any ideas?

Lynn
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
Took a photo of the servo area under the engine nacelle. Thought you guys might be interested to see what is there. The engine nacelle is held on with tape on either side. The owners manual said pulling the tape off could pull off paint. It did, so I cut the tape instead.

Name: DSC_0002.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 134.0 KB
Description: Servo and motor.

Name: DSC_0003.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 110.4 KB
Description: Damage to the wing from landing in tree.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hey BL, how's it going?

Unquestionably, the Mossie has, by far, the best thrust-to-weight of all 1s UM warbirds to-date. Here are a couple examples of what a stock Mossie can do on a Hyp 240.

ROG from my deck. She effortlessly cleared the railing with a very short takeoff run. I start doing some aerobatics at 2:20. Plenty of power for round loops from level flight - and even an aileron roll at the top:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7odtG1xmYWo

On-board video. ROG takeoff on grass w/stock wheels. The Mossie still has plenty of power - even when carrying a 15-gram keychain cam under the belly. I didn't do it during this clip, but she will still loop while carrying the cam - however, a bit of a dive is required to make them nice & round. Notice the short takeoff roll & how quickly she gets to altitude while carrying the cam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDlCtwiItK4

Joel
not sure how I missed this post but thanks!
Love the sound of the twin and the power looks really good
what are your thoughts of the 240mah vs the 500-600mah packs
of and how stable that little plane looks in FPV
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:07 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
not sure how I missed this post but thanks!
Love the sound of the twin and the power looks really good
what are your thoughts of the 240mah vs the 500-600mah packs
of and how stable that little plane looks in FPV
Yeah, the Mossie is a great little plane in calm wx. It's the only 1s UM that I still fly. However, she does get bounced around pretty good in turbulence - thanks to the undercambered wing.

Regarding batts - I prefer the Hyperion 550 mQX/120SR battery for outdoor flying & the Hyp 240 for indoor flying. The CG is a bit aft with the 240, but that's actually good for indoors. With a neutral or slightly aft CG, stall speed is lower, the plane is more maneuverable, takeoffs are shorter, and landings are slower. However, that also makes the plane quite sensitive to turbulence outdoors. The 550 solves the problem without adding dead-weight, which is the mortal enemy of micro-flight.

Joel
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
What kind of flight times can be expected with the 550mah?
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
Cut the fusalge tape to separate and get to the bric. I reversed the servos on the bric and the dead servo switches sides which tells me the servo is not bad. I re-connected the servos in the original configuration.

I tried to reverse the servos using the throttle and aileron controls but I can configure both moving together in same direction. Any other command turns off the servo with the wing hit.

I tried reversing the servos on the aileron option in the radio but it just changes the ailerons from up together to down together.

I guess the next step is buy a replacement servo to get the micro thingy to reverse the servo? Can you buy the reverse connector without buying the servo?

thanks

Lynn
Last edited by Lynnsabcs; Oct 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Oct 2012
29 Posts
Name: DSC_0005.jpg
Views: 67
Size: 68.1 KB
Description: The bottom of the wing with the bottom half of the fuselage removed.

Name: DSC_0006.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 117.5 KB
Description: Here is the bric with connections and servos for rudder and elevator.